Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nice little profit

Bought a dupe of this for $60 a couple months back. The dupe pulled the first ever 10, this used to be in a 9 case. Cracked because I was confident the buyer would prefer it raw.....looks like I was right.

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zesty! Congrats image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Cha-Ching
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    wow, good job
  • Options
    How is that possible? I would think $100 TOPS for that, and even that's high.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Beautiful KGJ signature. Congrats on the sale! image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the sale..Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice turn!
  • Options
    Are the international refractors the rarest cards out of that set? How about 1998? I am looking at a card in the 98 set but want to make sure I am getting the rarest version. I know pretty much nothing of the Bowman sets image

Thanks,
    Paul
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    There is no way anyone would pay $350 for this card. What's the catch?
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    If I'm not mistaken, '99 is a highly sought after year because it's the golden anniversary for Bowman. I know, this isn't one of the golden annv. refractors #'d to 5, however, for Griffey fans, this along with 3 other Bowman atomics, is THE toughest to find refractor. Someone did pay $350 for it. I originally paid $125 when it was in an SGC 96 case.

How'd I turn it for so much? The one I currently have slabbed below was listed for $60 by a seller that usually lists a $20 card for $300 via BIN/Best Offer. Looks like he messed up, and I caught his mistake.

As I said above, these are probably 4 of the 5 most desired Griffey refractors:

Referring to the '98 Atomic in this photo:

imageimage
  • Options
    The 1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor /25 is the best Griffey in that set. I can see the Gold Ref fetching close to $300-$600, but not the much easier to find International Refractor. I'm not instigating here, it's just that when you see a $100-$150 card sell for $350, you ask questions.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The 1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor /25 is the best Griffey in that set. I can see the Gold Ref fetching close to $300-$600, but not the much easier to find International Refractor. I'm not instigating here, it's just that when you see a $100-$150 card sell for $350, you ask questions. >>

OK, I'll bite-- what kind of questions do you start asking?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1999 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor /25 is the best Griffey in that set. I can see the Gold Ref fetching close to $300-$600, but not the much easier to find International Refractor. I'm not instigating here, it's just that when you see a $100-$150 card sell for $350, you ask questions. >>

OK, I'll bite-- what kind of questions do you start asking? >>

Yeah, what kind of questions? And, since there's "no way" someone would pay $350 for that card, it sounds to me like you're insinuating something about ME.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

OK, I'll bite-- what kind of questions do you start asking? >>

Yeah, what kind of questions? And, since there's "no way" someone would pay $350 for that card, it sounds to me like you're insinuating something about ME. >>

Don't look so hard for a deeper meaning. I simply meant was this a BIN/Best Offer? Have you had any transactions with the buyer in the past? You don't find it a strange sale? I have seen Griffey's from the 1990s out of 100 sell for peanuts compared to that. I was just curious.
  • Options
    the plot thickens like day old gravy.
  • Options
    It was a $350 BIN/ Best Offer. Within an hour of listing I had an offer of $125, and then the buyer purchased it for $350. A couple hours later he purchased another card I had for a BIN of $65.

Yes, I've had many dealings with this buyer, and he pays instantly. I don't find it a strange sale because I see how much he's spent on other Griffeys, and how many items he's purchased from Burbank- that in itself says a lot. Oh, he also just purchased an '08 Topps Chrome red refractor #'d to 25, and an orange '08 Bowman Chrome #'d to 25....
  • Options

<< <i>It was a $350 BIN/ Best Offer. Within an hour of listing I had an offer of $125, and then the buyer purchased it for $350. A couple hours later he purchased another card I had for a BIN of $65.

Yes, I've had many dealings with this buyer, and he pays instantly. I don't find it a strange sale because I see how much he's spent on other Griffeys, and how many items he's purchased from Burbank- that in itself says a lot. Oh, he also just purchased an '08 Topps Chrome red refractor #'d to 25, and an orange '08 Bowman Chrome #'d to 25.... >>

Hey, it's an amazing sale. I guess it's time to list some of the rare Griffey's I have if they are selling at these prices.
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful KGJ signature. Congrats on the sale! image >>

The card is not actually signed.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Yes...strange....maybe he WANTS to lose money?!?!?!?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    or maybe his wife found out and made him sell it? lol
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I never step in it like thisimage That is a great sale Carlton any chance you take that 125 offer if the
    the dope I mean buyer doesn't hit the BIN?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Is someone trying to cash out their ebay bucks? and Bing cash?

Kirby Puckett Master Set