Home U.S. Coin Forum

Free iPhone App for PCGS Photograde Online

A free Apple iPhoneTM application is available at the Apple iTunes App Store for the new PCGS PhotogradeTM Online PCGS Photograde. The app can also be used with the Apple iPod touchTM.

PCGS Photograde Online provides detailed close-up photo images for 25 types of 19th and 20th century U.S. coinage issues in up to 12 different grades. Using high-resolution images from the extensive PCGS Grading Reference Set and other selected coins also archived with the acclaimed PCGS TrueViewTM photo service, collectors, dealers and the general public can match up their United States coins with the superb-quality online photos to determine their approximate grades and values of their coins. The service is free to everyone.

"The app is 30 megabytes in order to provide high-quality images for easy viewing. It can be quickly and easily downloaded either by WiFi or via a computer Internet connection," said John Nelson, Director of the PCGS Web Applications Group.

"Once you've downloaded the app into your iPhone or iPod touch, all the data is stored there. No Internet connection is required to call up the photos and information once you've loaded it. You conveniently can carry PCGS Photograde Online wherever you go. For example, when you are at a coin show, you can instantly bring up the Photograde grading guide photos on your iPhone and compare them to the coins you see offered for sale."

Comments

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downloading.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    very cool!
  • Don, I don't have an IPhone, but must say, that is cool!image

Edited to add: Or, in the words of Darktone, who posted at the same time I did, "very cool".image
  • Installing...

Nice Perk!

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • i have this on my ipod touch and i love it. the images are great.
    Rick - coin guy
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My co-worker just showed this to me at lunch time. I guess I missed this thread, it should be locked at the top for a bit. image

Looking forward to downloading it.

This is a level of service that goes above and beyond.

Let me know if you want to add a Classic Half Eagle grading set to the images for the next upgrade. image
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Who called it? image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Looks good, will you get around to Liberty Seated series and earlier at some point?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, the PCGS Photograde app is the best coin-related app for the iphone. I have not played with the new Apmex app, but I suspect that this is more promotional than informational.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don, I don't have an IPhone, but must say, that is cool!image

Edited to add: Or, in the words of Darktone, who posted at the same time I did, "very cool".image >>

Having recently got an iPhone
    all I can say is

Get an iPhone

and the app is very good Mr. Willis, thanks
    LCoopie = Les
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>So far, the PCGS Photograde app is the best coin-related app for the iphone. I have not played with the new Apmex app, but I suspect that this is more promotional than informational. >>

Nothing special with Apmex, it just has the spot prices and the prices for 40 major coins. I do prefer Kitco.

I was about to open a thread about the PCGS app since I just downloaded it (late as always!). It is very nice and well done. Thanks PCGS!
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    We will be updating PCGS Photograde soon with more series and more photos. We have a total of 59 series in development right now.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great app.
    You could have easily charged for this one, no problem.

It is worth it.

peacockcoins

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree that it is the best coin related app I have found so far.

Mercury
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    No Blackberry App?image
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just loaded it on my iPod Touch. It looks great - a good thing to have at coin shows, especially if considering the purchase of raw coins.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No Blackberry App?image >>

My question too!
    I'm on the outside looking in again. image
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally love it. Great idea and yet another innovation from the leader in the hobby. Hats off to PCGS and my thanks!

Roger

<< <i>

My question too!
    I'm on the outside looking in again. image >>

As with all business it's impossible to please everyone, I'm sure they assumed the majority of smart phone users use iPhone and took that route.
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

My question too!

As with all business it's impossible to please everyone, I'm sure they assumed the majority of smart phone users use iPhone and took that route. >>

Blackberries outnumber iPhones 2 to 1. (See Forrester Research, Jan. 5, 2010, 3rd paragraph.)

This is a terrific app! Kudos to CU & PCGS! Now we need it for the Blackberry!!
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

My question too!

As with all business it's impossible to please everyone, I'm sure they assumed the majority of smart phone users use iPhone and took that route. >>

Blackberries outnumber iPhones 2 to 1. (See Forrester Research, Jan. 5, 2010, 3rd paragraph.)

This is a terrific app! Kudos to CU & PCGS! Now we need it for the Blackberry!! >>

PCGS also was obviously interested in gaining the Ipod Touch group as well, many of which have Blackberries, thus tapping into both groups. By making it a totally downloadable app, no internet access is necessary - something the Iphone and Blackberries would always have on the bourse where this app is most useful.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I guess this is one of those big things that we were waiting for in 2010.

I have a blackberry and I constantly see people cracking their iPhone screens, or not being able to make a call at all.

So I guess this one doesn't affect me, cuz I'm not switching to AT&T to view coins on my phone image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess this is one of those big things that we were waiting for in 2010.

I have a blackberry and I constantly see people cracking their iPhone screens, or not being able to make a call at all.

So I guess this one doesn't affect me, cuz I'm not switching to AT&T to view coins on my phone image >>

I've got AT*T but I got a tilt2 w/ winmo because I wanted a keyboard in addition to touch screen and because it is better for work email (and office mobile, etc).
    The iphone is great for a lot of folks, particularly just consumers, but people who use their phones for work seem to prefer blackberrys and smartphones.

So, there will be a lot of us that are left out on this.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We will be updating PCGS Photograde soon with more series and more photos. We have a total of 59 series in development right now. >>

I like it. This will be very handy at the shows.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Thank you to PCGS for developing this app. Problem for me is I have a Blackberry...Any help?
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I'm tickled by this app. Very cool. I'm thrilled with PCGS for the time and effort involved in producing it. Well done--you're the best!

• << <i>We will be updating PCGS Photograde soon with more series and more photos. We have a total of 59 series in development right now. >>

Please say Trade $ are among them. Please, please, please...
  • MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Just downloaded and installed. Nice app. It's on my front screen. Hopefully it stays free.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I love this application! And I know that others will disagree but I would be willing to pay for this!

It would be awesome if it also included mintages! Maybe combine it with Coinfacts?!

Just an idea to ponder.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

<< <i>I love this application! And I know that others will disagree but I would be willing to pay for this!

It would be awesome if it also included mintages! Maybe combine it with Coinfacts?!

Just an idea to ponder. >>

I like this, maybe make the current version a lite version and have a paid version that includes coinfacts as an app.
  • This app was recently updated...now includes more coins and more grades. They have a cool MS69 Morgan Dollar on there.
    that MS 69 is nice,
    but notice the 67, a 1878 cc !!

and the app is great, thanks you pcgs.
    LCoopie = Les
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    another iphone app update is appreciated
    LCoopie = Les

• << <i>A free Apple iPhoneTM application is available at the Apple iTunes App Store for the new PCGS PhotogradeTM Online PCGS Photograde. The app can also be used with the Apple iPod touchTM.

PCGS Photograde Online provides detailed close-up photo images for 25 types of 19th and 20th century U.S. coinage issues in up to 12 different grades. Using high-resolution images from the extensive PCGS Grading Reference Set and other selected coins also archived with the acclaimed PCGS TrueViewTM photo service, collectors, dealers and the general public can match up their United States coins with the superb-quality online photos to determine their approximate grades and values of their coins. The service is free to everyone.

"The app is 30 megabytes in order to provide high-quality images for easy viewing. It can be quickly and easily downloaded either by WiFi or via a computer Internet connection," said John Nelson, Director of the PCGS Web Applications Group.

"Once you've downloaded the app into your iPhone or iPod touch, all the data is stored there. No Internet connection is required to call up the photos and information once you've loaded it. You conveniently can carry PCGS Photograde Online wherever you go. For example, when you are at a coin show, you can instantly bring up the Photograde grading guide photos on your iPhone and compare them to the coins you see offered for sale."

image >>

is there one for the MOTOROLA Droid?
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • I don't have an iphone, but i would like one now.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Another Droid user here... really wish it was available to others except iphone....
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    It's great on the iPad too.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file