Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Well...Coming up one card short!

Well.....As the year draws to and end, It looks like I am going to miss my 2009 collecting STRETCH goals by one card. I was really hoping to get my Post War HOFers set up to 70% by years end and just cant find that last card (that either I can afford or want to acquire) to get me over the 70% plateau. Although my posted goals are below, I had some stretch goals that I gave myself, which was getting the Post War HOFers set up to 70%. I didnt complete the run from 59 to the present either (62 Gaylord Perry). As for the Mantle Basic Set, I decided the first week of January that I would work on the Stan Musial Basic set instead of Mantle. The 86 Fleer Set was completed and subsequently sold to a board member to fund the purchase of my Musial RC and Koufax RC that are now part of my Post War HOFers set.

<< <i>1. Complete my 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set in PSA 9+ average. ( I am down to needing 11 cards to finish this set started in June 2008). >>

<< <i>2. Reach 50%+ on my Post War HOFer's Registry while maintaining a PSA 8+ rating. I would specifically like to complete this set from 1959 to the present HOFer's. >>

<< <i>3. Reach 30% on both my Paul O'Neill Master and Basic Registry Sets while maintaining a 9.5+ GPA. >>

<< <i>4. Start a Mickey Mantle Basic Registry. Aside from the 1967 PSA 8 I already have, My first purchase will be a 1960 in PSA 7+ condition. I would like to add 5 PSA 7+ Mantles to this registry by the end of 2009. >>

Comments

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Job Matt!! Pretty impressive sets, you have accomplished those in a short period of time. Can't wait to see where you are at this time next year.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Great job Matt. Those were some lofty goals, and you made a serious dent in them. Keep it going!!

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had a spare one for you Matt. Here's a link to his great set:

Getting Close...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Matt,

It's hard to imagine you "coming up...short" in anything. Sounds kinda corny but I've appreciated your scans and Message Board posts in 2009. Even as the football card collector that I chiefly am, I've really enjoyed some of the diamond beauties that you have pulled down over the last few months.

Someone posted a link to Matt's set above. Why doesn't someone else do what I have done and add a comment right in Matt's Registry Set Comments if you like seeing his cards as much as I do?

Best wishes on a happy 2010.

-Keith
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, you said "stretch" goals. That's "consultant" speak. Please just say goals.

Nice year, hope 2010 is as good!

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Ahh, you said "stretch" goals. That's "consultant" speak. Please just say goals.

Nice year, hope 2010 is as good! >>

My company uses the same speak to reduce the bonus we get each year. The philosophy is yes we made or exceeded all of our goals, but we did not meet the stretch goals so you will not receive the full bonus.

My previous employer (Fortune 100 Oil Company) thought they set the stretch goals high enough out of reach, and then Hurricane Katrina hit and we made unbelievable profits so everyone ended up with "double" bonuses. Guess what the stretch goal was the folllowing year....the Hurricane aided profits plus an additional 40% profit growth. Of course we did not meet the goal as such profit growth is typically unheard of in an established business. We actually ended up with more profit than the previous year but got a bonus which was half of the year before. Such is life.