Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A couple of raw vintage on eBay...

Anyone ever bought from this seller before? Pretty clean Toolhaus record; nevertheless, it's auctions like this that make me stick to buying graded vintage and not messing around with raw.

Very little chance these guys have not been trimmed or altered, else why wouldn't you get them graded? Doesn't pass the sniff test...

1964 Topps Pete Rose

1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC

Don't forget, they're *very tempted* to get them graded! (so bid high and often so they don't have to. LOL)

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Funny that they use all the PSA-related quotes and definitions and the old "depending on what company you use" disclaimer. Would have a better chance of grading if the back weren't scratched... Looks like a PSA 6 at best.
  • Options
    Reggie is definitely trimmed. Bottom edge on back looks like it was just cut like 10 minutes ago.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a trapezoid qualifier?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Their misleading PSA drops in the title is the first

reason to run away

Way too high a gamble without a first hand look
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    The crazy thing is that the current price on the Reggie is already close to graded PSA 8 levels. Somebody is going to be *really* pissed when they submit this for grading.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, for that price you should at least get the part he cut off too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Wont be long before that feedback starts to tank!

Even the raw collectors will fire back

• Options

<< <i>Their misleading PSA drops in the title is the first

reason to run away

Way too high a gamble without a first hand look >>

Yup. I hate keyword spamming.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the chances of either card coming back a PSA 7, 8 or 9 are zero.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Here is your chance to own a truly beautiful card that is almost 35 years old. Reggie Jackson cards have gone up in value over the past years. Buy this now and hold it for a long-term investment. >>

How is the card almost 35 years old, when indeed it's 40 years old going on 41? This guy is an idiot plus a trimmer.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Looks to be some paper loss or chipping on the upper right edge above the "S" on the Rose card. Like everyone here, wouldn't touch these.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    They're purty tho.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>They're purty tho. >>

purty and trimmed.

(that's a softball for somebody).

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    The Rose will come back ungraded as Miscut
  • Options
    You gotta love when sellers put what PSA graded cards sell for in their listing for a raw card. The next question then is, why didn't they have it graded? A saw recently where a seller had a complete but raw 1960 set, that he said should all grade 8's and 9's. And of course he also listed for everyones convience what a complete PSA 8 and 9 set lists for. Shockingly, he didn't get close to those figures. I emailed the guy who bought it asking how they really looked. He never got back to me, I assumed it was a sore subject.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "all sales final" Another reason to run away as fast as you can.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd stay away from those thunder. Besides...anything you buy now will not compare to that Mantle you just picked up. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'd stay away from those thunder. Besides...anything you buy now will not compare to that Mantle you just picked up. image >>

I don't buy raw on eBay. Haven't for quite a few years now.

• Options
    I sent the seller a question about the Rose card last night. Here is the question and his response.

Dear mangobayoutlet,

If I were to buy this card, I would send it in to be graded. What is your policy if the grading company says the card has been altered?

Hi, all are cards non-alterned or trimmed. Please check our feedback and bid with confidence. We can't guarantee anything after the card is sold because we can't control what the buyer does with the card after its sold and left our possession. Thank you for looking.

- mangobayoutlet

From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna know how to get that black star in my listing title. That's hot.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd stay away from those thunder. Besides...anything you buy now will not compare to that Mantle you just picked up. image >>

I don't buy raw on eBay. Haven't for quite a few years now. >>

If that's your policy, you may be missing out on some great opportunities. I've bought quite a few vintage cards "raw" from eBay and have terrific success in getting them graded. I make certain to perform due diligence in my research, examination of the images provided and also rely on my "expertise" in making decisions before I buy. Have I had some disappointments? Certainly, but the successes have far outweighed the failures.
  • Options

<< <i>I wanna know how to get that black star in my listing title. That's hot. >>

Just right click on the star and copy it... then paste into your listing...

I just tried it and it worked like a charm! image

Card with Star
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't buy raw on eBay. Haven't for quite a few years now. >>

If that's your policy, you may be missing out on some great opportunities. I've bought quite a few vintage cards "raw" from eBay and have terrific success in getting them graded. I make certain to perform due diligence in my research, examination of the images provided and also rely on my "expertise" in making decisions before I buy. Have I had some disappointments? Certainly, but the successes have far outweighed the failures. >>

Scott, do doubt there are opportunities. There is also a hassle factor involved (SNAD leading to returns/refunds, cards getting rejected by PSA). That said, there is effort required to make money, so I'm certainly not poo-pooing the importance and value of due diligence and effort.

A few years back when I bought raw vintage, I definitely had some home runs. Money can be made going this route (and other routes for that matter).