Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Counterstamped coins

Was curious if anyone collects counterstamped coins.

I have 4 from south america and love em. I know they are hard to find only like 1-6 on Ebay at a time.

Please share any pics.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take a look at the upcoming Heritage auctions.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I find them very interesting! Im sure people will post some great examples.

This was my only one

until a board member recently hooked me up with another (which I can't find the pic now image )

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was curious if anyone collects counterstamped coins.

I have 4 from south america and love em. I know they are hard to find only like 1-6 on Ebay at a time.

Please share any pics.

Chris >>

Do you mean the official counterstamps such as the piece Hyperion has or counterstamps such as this one?

I collect the latter, Canadian issues, such as the Thomas Church speciman above and the Devins & Bolton, Montreal counterstamps that are common on US large cents.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Hi coffeyce

I collect counterstamp coins related to British Coins. The earliest I have is Philip & Mary

BR
    SWK
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Gene,

beautiful coin.

I also like britian coins as well SWK.
  • Options
    Hi coffeyce

Here is the British counterstamp of Philip & Mary

BR
    www.petitioncrown.com

imageimage
    1554 Shiling [countermarked fleur de lis]
    UNIQUE

During this period there were export restriction on coinage from England. International trade required precious metal to be transferred and an
    amount of coinage was exported for trading and melting. This 1554 shilling was acquired from a European collection. The coin would having been tested for silver to check it was silver on arrival in Europe and had the FLEUR de LIS stamped twice on the coin to show that is silver. The British Museum has a specimen with a different countermark. The coin countermark is possible from Bruge in the Low Countries an area were Philip was well known.
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i mainly collect U.S. merchant countermarks from the 19th century (emphasis on Large Cents) but since this is the World Coin Forum, here's one of my more interesting counterstamps:

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I currently own one piece; an 1806 Potosi 4 Reales with the counterstamp J. S. H. in a scalloped border. I'll try to post a pic of it this coming week.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    This is a pretty good one, though the bidding is strong.
  • Options
    i was hoping more would reply i find counter stamped and engraved interesting

br
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mexico - War of Independence. Chihuahua overstruck on a previous cast type with L.C.M. countersamp (La Comandancia Militar - The office of the Military Commander).

Mexico - War of Independence. Morelos and Chilpanzingo counterstamps on a sand-cast 8 Reales.

• Options
    Personally, I have been trying to find a nice example of this countermark:

• Options

<< <i>Personally, I have been trying to find a nice example of this countermark:

image >>

Roman,

The British section of the Heritage NYINC auction has some very nice pieces on both Pillar and Portrait types, notably, lot 22088.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    That MS piece is gorgeous. I'm going to watch it live and see if I have enough self-control...
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    what respected companies slab counterstamp coins.

chris
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    All of them will do it if the coins are counterstamped by an official entity. Not sure about private counterstamps.

I have a PCGS-graded 960 reis just like the one in the Heritage sale that I linked to.