Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sesqui Commem with Rainbow Toning on Both Sides

Been watching these boards for awhile and finally decided to join to discuss this coin. I've been collecting commems for more than 10 years and I've never seen a Sesqui that has rainbow toning on both sides until this one:
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1136&Lot_No=3252

Comments

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate the Sesqui commem as a whole but I hate that one lessimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Welcome and looks like someone REALLY likes that one. image
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭
  • Thanks for linking. If anyone has any other nice Sesquis to share, please do image
  • I know of a couple of people interested in it, I can see why. Glad to have you here, can always use another commem person, especially a toned commem person, around!!!
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Pretty coin, especially for a 64 with the usual facial chatter. I see the '38-D Oregon has already passed 10K with the juice. No interest in it for myself, but am looking forward to seeing it next week.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! I need one of those to add to my set of commems featuring Virginians... but probably not that one! $$$$ beautiful example, though.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    image and welcome to the boards tonedcommems.

I can see why you made the statement that you did Mark. That is a nice un. image

Mike

<< <i>Pretty coin, especially for a 64 with the usual facial chatter. I see the '38-D Oregon has already passed 10K with the juice. No interest in it for myself, but am looking forward to seeing it next week. >>

Ya, the Texas, Oregon, Spanish Trail and Alabama all cleared 10K easily. These are just getting warmed up. The Oregon should fetch 25K imo...............MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only seen a few vividly toned multicolor Sesqui's, and whether those were NT or AT always stirred passionate debate.

I would want to see the central surfaces of this particular coin to see if it was dipped at one point. I suspect it was, then retoned either via the fast or slow method in an album.

At this price I bet you will see more that look like this one in 2010.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I viewed the coin in hand last week and, though I rarely make such statements, I think it is the most beautiful Sesqui I have ever seen. >>

Looks cooked or secondary to me as this type of peripheral ring type toning pattern is not natural for a Sesqui nor a Maine which are both pie dish high relief strikes like a 1921 Peace $1.

Actually the prettiest MS64 I've seen was on your web site coinguy1 about a year ago +/-

Edited to Add: Wish HA had added the actual slab shots as based on the blow up cartoon pics it looks somewhat lackluster IMHO.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

• << <i>

<< <i>I viewed the coin in hand last week and, though I rarely make such statements, I think it is the most beautiful Sesqui I have ever seen. >>

Looks cooked or secondary to me as this type of peripheral ring type toning pattern is not natural for a Sesqui nor a Maine which are both pie dish high relief strikes like a 1921 Peace $1.

Actually the prettiest MS64 I've seen was on your web site coinguy1 about a year ago +/- >>

I think the coin might have been dipped and re-toned on its own in an album. But if so, that doesn't bother me, as it still has plenty of luster and is gorgeous. And thanks for your comment about mine - when I posted previously, I was thinking about that one, but still prefer the one in the auction. Of course it is now about 3 times the price of what mine was.image
  • This is how they should tone. MS64:

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Used to own this one in 64 for MUCH less:

• GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I got this one from an old family relative who had it for many years who obtained it at issue it has never been played with this photo doesn't do it justice it has wonderful unbroken haze of frost on both sides some gold and also a nice ring of pale blue around the inner rims which doesn't show up in the photo playing it under a light really is a treat to see its irredecent surfaces come to life no marks to speak of it looks like it was struck yesterday it is ungraded at this time.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
    Nice look Gemini! What do you think it grades? MJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file