Home Sports Talk
Options

AT&T drops Tiger Woods sponsorship deal

AT&T Inc. said Thursday it would no longer sponsor Tiger Woods, joining Accenture in dropping support for the world's top golfer, who's taking a break from the sport to focus on his marriage after his admitted infidelity.

The phone company hasn't used Woods' image extensively in advertising, but its logo appeared on his golf bag. That deal had been billed as a "multiyear" agreement when it was signed early in 2009. Woods has also been the host of the AT&T National PGA Tour event since it started in 2007. The phone company said it would continue to sponsor the event, which will be held in Newtown Square, Pa., in July.

AT&T, which is based in Dallas, did not comment on its reasons for dropping Woods, or how much his contracts were worth. Woods has taken an indefinite leave from playing.

Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, had no comment on AT&T's decision.

Consulting firm Accenture dropped the athlete two weeks ago, saying he was "no longer the right representative" of the company's values.

Gillette, a unit of the Procter & Gamble Co., also has said it won't air ads for its razors that include Woods or include him in public appearances.

Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer, a unit of luxury goods empire LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, also said that it would "downscale" its use of golfer Tiger Woods' image in its advertising campaigns for the foreseeable future.

Electronic Arts Inc., which puts out the "Tiger Woods PGA Tour" series of golf video games, has not said what its plans are for the franchise. The company did not immediately return requests for comment Thursday.

Comments

• Options
    Guess that he can no longer reach out and touch someone.
  • Options

Does this mean he no longer has unlimited texting?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly no surprise....I only expect gambling joints, massage parlors, and strip clubs to now use Woods as a spokesperson. LOL
  • Options
    Odd part about this is, if he was known as a creep all along, with his talent he would have still raked in mega millions in endorsements. It is the recent shocking contrast which has rocked the boat.
  • Options
    Looks like they took Tiger's name off their phone
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Well, Charlie Sheen is still making big bucks as an actor, and on the Creep-O-Meter, he certainly has Tiger beat.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Well, Charlie Sheen is still making big bucks as an actor, and on the Creep-O-Meter, he certainly has Tiger beat. >>

Sheen is not even close to being as prominent as Tiger so what he did will be more tolerated as far as
    commercial endorsements etc.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Sheen, aside from his marital infidelities, is a known drug abuser who has also been accused of spousal abuse on numerous occasions, including the most recent incident. For companies, like Hanes, to continue to employ Sheen is unethical.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Sheen, aside from his marital infidelities, is a known drug abuser who has also been accused of spousal abuse on numerous occasions, including the most recent incident. For companies, like Hanes, to continue to employ Sheen is unethical. >>

as a huge fan of 2 1/2 men i must agree....

as for tiger..i hope my phone bills now go lower..
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    I noticed espn, (who has first round coverage of Masters) ..... showed their little historical montage of previous Masters winners in their commercial.....

and it was devoid of Tiger!

All kinds of past winners and no Tiger. What a bunch of puppets over there.

What will you will be talking about at nauseum if he plays there this year?
  • Options

<< <i>Guess that he can no longer reach out and touch someone. >>

now that I think about it....this could be the funniest post of the year!