Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2009 was the worst year ever. New Year wishes for all of you

I didn't work a single day in 2009. I've I had to sell over half my collection. My wife got gifts of very little substance for her birthday, anniversary and Christmas. The economy ruined the entertainment industry that had already been crippled by the writers strike.

but you know what...

2010 is going to be great. Hell, it has to be better than last year. I'm going to get work very soon, spoil my wife with gifts and rebuild some of my collection. I'm keeping positive and you should too. Here are my wishes for all of you in 2010...

That all of your packs are untampered

That all of your big pulls are from a player/team that you support

That all of your 8's come back as 9's from PSA

That you pop a ton of low pop common 10's and sell them to crazy lunatics on ebay shortly thereafter

That you accomplish a lot of you new year collecting goals.

That you actually have collecting goals image

That you all get supported by the members of this forum like I did in 2009

Happy new year all. Thanks for everything this year. It's been a pleasure to be a part of this forum and I'm looking forward to a great year with all of you.

Comments

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Thumbs up to you for keeping positive and looking forward.

Best of fortune and good health to you and all for 2010.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Terrific post - here's to a banner 2010
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • If you lived thoguht 2009 without losing any body parts, it really wasn't too bad. Keep your chin up, you have a large support group here.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    good luck to you and the Mrs. and best wishes for a better year ahead.....

i've only been jobless since May, so it necessitated a good kick in the pants, but working from home creates a social black hole.....at least, i don't need to call anyone "boss". image

Happy New Year Mike.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I'm very sorry to hear 2009 was your worst year ever. I will pray for you and your wife on a much better 2010!!!

Please keep your spirits up and stay positive and know things will improve.

If you recall, I had a terrible 2008 (my worst year ever) and a very bad 2007...All due to the Writers Strike (WGA) (Out of work from Nov 07 to late March 08, a bad work injury April, 2008 (out of work for almos 3 months), and a very bad work slow down because the Actors Guild let their contract expire..Work was very scarce last year. I also had to sell most of my prized possessions which were from my late father just to make the bare monthly bills.

I started 2009 very bad too...Off all of January and some of Feb....Then I got onto a project and went from one to another to another and ended up with my best year ever! Still short of where I need to be for my family of 4, but very encouraging.

Please remember you are not alone!

Take care and best wishes Mike!

brian

• Looking forward to a great "20" "10." Have to agree Mike, it can not be a bad as 2009.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Mike,

Keeping a positive attitude in your head, and God in your heart, is a great recipe for success!

You and your wife have each other and are in good health. Everything else is a plus!

If this year has done anything positive for people, it has taught them how to cherish what they have, that many take for granted.

You and your wife battled through 2009 with love and determination. May that chapter in your life never have to be reopened.

Here's to a very PROSPEROUS 2010 for you both!

Salute,
    PoppaJ

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Mike - hang in there, it WILL get better. We are part of the most resilient people and country on earth. 2010 will be better!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Keep your head up. As you probably figured out, material things come and go, and they aren't the basis of life. I am sure that your wife appreciates your love and support much more than any gift that you should buy her, and showering her with gifts isn't going to prove anything more to her. Use that money for the gifts to fix your finances and come out even better than when you started. On the real, the government is offering temp work collection for the 2010 census. I have recommended that to all of my friends who are in between jobs. If you have a car, it's highly likely you will be able to get one.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a financial standpoint I agree with Mike's yearly assessment, but in my opinion, a year in which you got to marry the woman you love can never be deemed as the worst ever.

Here's to a better "financial" year for everyone.
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    eat at least a spoonful of turnip greens on New Years Day. That's what my aunt (who is self-made filthy rich) said to do at the start of 2005 and I've done it ever since. Even though I despise turnip greens and would rather drink motor oil, I still manage to get a spoonful down without throwing up on the first of each year now.

In all seriousness, here's to a great new year and hoping you and your family have better times ahead. Cheers.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I wanted to add something encouraging for you in regards to the tv and movie industry. During the last part of this year manymovies and tv projects were slated for out of state production, but California's tax incentive break got over 20+ back to CA. Several of the movies were substantial sized projects and I know that one of the movies was one of the largest in town this year!

Hopefully the people of CA and the Politicians realize how vital the entertainment industry is do our state.

Brian
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From a financial standpoint I agree with Mike's yearly assessment, but in my opinion, a year in which you got to marry the woman you love can never be deemed as the worst ever.

Here's to a better "financial" year for everyone. >>

Crap, you're right Nick. Don't tell my wife image
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

For more than 50-years, my New Years Day lucky-menu has been:

Black Eyed Peas

Turnip Greens

Corn Bread

Black Eyed Peas are the most important luck feature.

A few decades ago, I was traveling someplace and I could not find
    any BEPs. I finally bought four-cans of CPB chicken-gumbo soup at
    a bodega and culled enough BEPs out to keep my luck alive.

It is also important to ONLY do things on NYD that you are prepared
    to do for the remainder of the year.

It's said that what you do on NYD, you will do for the entire year.

I will be listing stuff for sale, riding horses, posting on the internet,
    feeding dogs and cats, studying stock charts, and going to a movie.

My 2010 tip: Conserve Cash and Start A Home-Based Biznez.

HNY2U !
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

Stay strong and things will get better. Four years ago if anybody told me what my 2008 and 2009 would be like I would have laughed at them! After my little girl was diagnosed with Cancer in 2003 I figured nothing could be worse ... then the last two years hit ... I learned NOT to take anything for granted. For me I know 2010 is going to probably be a rough year as well, but I'm hoping not as bad as the past two.

ONE DAY things will get on the right track for both of us. Hoping it's 2010 for you and your wife.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON THE BOARDS. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THESE BOARDS REALLY HELPED ME KEEP MY SANITY THIS PAST YEAR.

Wishing everyone and your families a year filled with HEALTH!!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles Mike, it's been tough for ALOT of people

Be glad to have a loving wife and family, and for health

Good luck on scoring your next gig! I hope it's gemminty! image

This forum has been a great place for me too this past year alone, I'm very

grateful to have met so many cool people through this board!!

Happy New Years to all!! May we all prosper and be healthy!!

Cheers!! Now Chug!! image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's hoping you OWN 2010 - image
    Mike
    Bosox1976

• Happy New Year, and good luck to everyone. image
  • Depression is thinking you are worse off than everyone else.

Appreciation is knowing that some are worse off than you.

Elation is thinking you are better off than anyone else.

Good Luck Mike - good fortune to everyone
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Adios '09........................................Bring it 2010.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Mike....Keep working on that autograph collection!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, Here's to a Fabulous 2010 image
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    2010 is going to be a great year! Hang in there VitoCo. And when you're down 1) pray 2) watch Diners, Drive ins and Dives

"Molon Labe"

• With your attitude, I am sure 2010 will be amazing! As someone else put it, cards are great therapy! I hope things turn around soon, and your 2010 goals are achieved. We will all be rooting for you.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Mike, keep up that great attitude. Things WILL get better, no question about it.

Here's to a better 2010!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's hoping 2010 will be a better year for all!!!!

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Amazing how the reset of the calendar can change our thinking. The last 5 months of '09 was a difficult time for me and my family with a lot of recuperation. Hopefully all of that is in the past now!
  • January 6th will be a year since I have been laid off. I have sold my whole collection except for my Phil Garners, because they are inexpensive and I am probably the only one interested in them. On the flip side my wife and me have started a candy company, doesn't pay the bills yet but someday it will. I have also been able to have much more quality time with my children.