Home Sports Talk
Options

Texas Tech fires head football coach Mike Leach

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
ESPN Story

Wow, I know this has yet to be played out fully, but it looks like a pretty bad course of events for Leach -- locking an injured player in a shed, whose father happens to be a ESPN college football analyst and former NFL player? And then telling the college chancellor to "not question" his coaching tactics? Incredilbe -- if Leach can dig out of this with "his side" of the story it will be an incredible turn of events -- otherwise, he will top Bobby Knight as this biggest ass in college sports.

Comments

• Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I was under the impression that he was a pretty solid coach.

I wonder what else has happened to him to put some kid in a closet....you don't just have one bad day and toss a dude in there.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I was under the impression that he was a pretty solid coach.

I wonder what else has happened to him to put some kid in a closet....you don't just have one bad day and toss a dude in there. >>

There seems to be three patterns emerging as the story unfolds here:
    (1) the kid seemed to have a sense of entitlement and a sloppy work ethic
    (2) his Dad (Craig James for those not following the story) has pretty much been a real nag to Leach
    (3) Leach eats his press clippings for breakfast and has gotten a bit too full of himself.
    (4) Leach is notorious for being a "my way or else" kinda guy.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Poor work ethic and attitude or not, James was not the person in power abusing his authority. Leach was and deserved the axe because of it.

And I think you could add a 5th theme: Texas Tech's athletic department hires coaches of dubious character.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Poor work ethic and attitude or not, James was not the person in power abusing his authority. Leach was and deserved the axe because of it.

And I think you could add a 5th theme: Texas Tech's athletic department hires coaches of dubious character. >>

5th theme??? Hell, I apparently can't even count to 4 correctly when listing my themes.

Seriously, Tech is a small-time program that wants to compete with the big boys, and has clearly cut some serious corners to do so.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i knew it wouldn't end well when he sued the university to coach in the bowl game
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously, Tech is a small-time program that wants to compete with the big boys, and has clearly cut some serious corners to do so. >>

Very true. Worked for awhile, but a situation like this cannot bode well for a program.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i knew it wouldn't end well when he sued the university to coach in the bowl game >>

Fred, I think he got canned quickly because he was due a bonus if still the coach as of midnight tonight - half a million or something - and that was why he wanted to coach the bowl game.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>i knew it wouldn't end well when he sued the university to coach in the bowl game >>

Not sure how he could think he wouldn't be fired for suing the team. If the allegations are true, he should be facing criminal charges. Of course we don't know the whole story and there seems to be information missing from the story.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Anyone see the phone cam video yet?????

It boiled down to Leach refusing to apologize to the player and helping the University make amends. Having a 800,000 dollar bonus due and suing your own school also were not on his side.

His contentious contract talks last year apparantly were not forgotton as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set