Home Sports Talk
Options

Where are all the Penn State fans ???

LSU is going to kick some nittany lion butt. image

Comments

• Options
    With time to prepare, not many do it better. We are Penn State.
  • Options
    Bring it on Edmund. Go Penn State.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where should we be? It's not like we've got a shot at #1 or something like that. We are in a Bowl almost every season so it's nothing new, but we enjoy it and we'll be rooting for our football team as always...coached by the greatest college football coach of all time, and that's really not even debatable.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>Where should we be? It's not like we've got a shot at #1 or something like that. We are in a Bowl almost every season so it's nothing new, but we enjoy it and we'll be rooting for our football team as always...coached by the greatest college football coach of all time, and that's really not even debatable. >>

LOL, not debateable.

Paul "Bear" Bryant: 425 games coached, winning percentage 76% 6 National Championships, 1 SWC Championship, 14 SEC Championships

Joe Paterno: 525 games coached, winning percentage 74.85% 2 National Championships, 3 Big Ten Championships

Bobby Bowden: 521 games coached, winning percentage 74.47% (that number goes to 75.72 % with Florida State) 2 National Championships, 12 ACC Championships

Urban Meyer may wind up being strongly considered obviously dependent upon his length of career. His numbers so far are incredible.

113 games coached, winning percentage 84.07 % 2 National Championships 2 MWC Championships 2 SEC Championships
  • Options

<< <i>[

Paul "Bear" Bryant: dead.

Bobby Bowden: gone.

Urban Meyer: semi-retired. >>

Somewhere in Orlando an octogenarian looks through his thick glasses, chuckles, and says "It's just another game boys. Just one more game."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where should we be? It's not like we've got a shot at #1 or something like that. We are in a Bowl almost every season so it's nothing new, but we enjoy it and we'll be rooting for our football team as always...coached by the greatest college football coach of all time, and that's really not even debatable. >>

LOL, not debateable.

Paul "Bear" Bryant: 425 games coached, winning percentage 76% 6 National Championships, 1 SWC Championship, 14 SEC Championships

Joe Paterno: 525 games coached, winning percentage 74.85% 2 National Championships, 3 Big Ten Championships

Bobby Bowden: 521 games coached, winning percentage 74.47% (that number goes to 75.72 % with Florida State) 2 National Championships, 12 ACC Championships

Urban Meyer may wind up being strongly considered obviously dependent upon his length of career. His numbers so far are incredible.

113 games coached, winning percentage 84.07 % 2 National Championships 2 MWC Championships 2 SEC Championships >>

You fail to mention that Joe has the most wins of any division 1 college football coach, most bowl wins, and if you knew the history of college football polls, then you'd understand how Penn State got royally screwed out of a number of college championships when they clearly, Clearly, had a better football team than the school that finished #1 because the voters had a longtime bias against Eastern college football teams.

Also Penn State has only been in the Big 10 since 1993, against brutally tough competition so 3 titles isn't bad. Yes, some of the reason for the records is his longevity...but that's part of his greatness.

And another thing...Joe has one of the highest graduation rates for his players...he stresses academics first and unlike so many other college football coaches...Joe really means it.

Joe is hands down the greatest college football coach of all time - the others are fighting for second best.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Buckeye fan here that will be watching and hoping to see PSU kick some arse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL, not debateable.

113 games coached, winning percentage 84.07 % 2 National Championships 2 MWC Championships 2 SEC Championships >>

You fail to mention that Joe has the most wins of any division 1 college football coach, most bowl wins, and if you knew the history of college football polls, then you'd understand how Penn State got royally screwed out of a number of college championships when they clearly, Clearly, had a better football team than the school that finished #1 because the voters had a longtime bias against Eastern college football teams.

Also Penn State has only been in the Big 10 since 1993, against brutally tough competition so 3 titles isn't bad. Yes, some of the reason for the records is his longevity...but that's part of his greatness.

And another thing...Joe has one of the highest graduation rates for his players...he stresses academics first and unlike so many other college football coaches...Joe really means it.

Joe is hands down the greatest college football coach of all time - the others are fighting for second best. >>

Didn't know it needed to be pointed out that Joe Paterno has more D1 wins. Do you really feel that the other coaches I put up would not be around or above Paterno's win total if they coached as many or more games? I thought something more appropriate for an obvious great coach would be winning percentage.

What other championships should Penn State have that they were screwed out of?

I know of one they didn't get, Goal Line Stand
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL, not debateable.

Joe is hands down the greatest college football coach of all time - the others are fighting for second best. >>

Didn't know it needed to be pointed out that Joe Paterno has more D1 wins. Do you really feel that the other coaches I put up would not be around or above Paterno's win total if they coached as many or more games? I thought something more appropriate for an obvious great coach would be winning percentage.

What other championships should Penn State have that they were screwed out of?

I know of one they didn't get, Goal Line Stand >>

Just like all top football schools they play some other teams that are clearly overmatched, but when Penn State played as an independent, they never backed off playing the best teams possible...so considering that, Paterno's "winning percentage" is quite impressive and in my opinion more impressive than the names you mentioned.

You can Google college football history about some outstanding undefeated teams that Penn State had which got screwed in the polls, which is one reason Joe for many years has pushed for a college playoff system of some type.
  • Options
    I'm all for a playoff system as well, it's too bad greed yet again gets in the way of common sense.

Bama will be ready for Penn State next year.
  • Options

Bowden says in an interview during the Capital One Bowl that when Paterno retires he will be considered the best college football coach of all time.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LSU is going to kick some nittany lion butt. image >>

Foot meet mouthimage

J.R.

A Michigan fan that just wants to see the big ten do well as
    a conference,great game.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

Good game.

Were those SEC refs?
  • Options
    Well, the sky is blue and white because God must be a Penn State fan.

LSU's superior team speed was nuetralized by a crappy field drenched by rain.
    Let them play on a good field and LSU wins by 10.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    that's funny.....both teams had to play on the same field.

using that lame logic wouldn't it stand to reason that PSU would be twice as slow as they are on a normal field?
  • Options
    I'll take a top 10 finish in the polls. That will be fine with me. image
  • Options

<< <i>LSU is going to kick some nittany lion butt. >>

NOT imageimage
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the sky is blue and white because God must be a Penn State fan.

Let them play on a good field and LSU wins by 10. >>

Tougher playing out of the Super Dome, huh?
  • Options

<< <i>

Tougher playing out of the Super Dome, huh? >>

LSU's home field is an outdoor stadium in Baton Rouge.
  • Options
    I love the Lions and thought they were lucky to pull out a win. It was fun to watch them play on a bad field---for about five minutes, then I started wishing the game was played in better conditions. Seeing players trying to cut and taking a Grand Canyon-sized divot got old after a while. But, conditions were the same for both teams.

The thing the ticked me off the most was 18 and 20 yard Penn State field goals. Had they been able to punch those into the end zone, this game would have been a laugher. LSU showed a great goal line defense.

I was good to see Clark lead them to a victory on his last drive as a Lion. I'm sure that will be the highlight of his football career.

All in all a good game and I hope a top 10 finish for the boys in blue and white.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Joe Paterno- These were two evenly matched teams and well coached. Both defenses played fairly well but the weather conditions obviously hurt.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I learned a lesson many years ago. The Paterminator ain't gonna get beat on New Years day.
  • Options
    This game just proved how much some people don't know about football.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tougher playing out of the Super Dome, huh? >>

LSU's home field is an outdoor stadium in Baton Rouge. >>

I realize that, but you were talking bowl game, and LSU has played in a bowl in the Superdome 4 times since 2002!
  • Options
    Just because Paterno has been around forever doesn't make him the best coach of all time. Most wins? So what, he's coached for 100 years. I'm sure the people crowing about him being the best ever surely weren't saying the same things when they were trying to run him out of town on a rail a few years back. He's had a great career, but it's time he hung it up and let someone else coach that team.
  • Options

<< <i>Just because Paterno has been around forever doesn't make him the best coach of all time. Most wins? So what, he's coached for 100 years. I'm sure the people crowing about him being the best ever surely weren't saying the same things when they were trying to run him out of town on a rail a few years back. He's had a great career, but it's time he hung it up and let someone else coach that team. >>

When they make a Hollywood movie about Joe Paterno All American, then you'll change your mind.

• Options
    Does JoePa even coach any more? You never see him with a headset on. During the LSU game, the cameras were stuck on him and I never saw him say a single word. All he did was stand there with a towel around his neck.
  • Options
    JoPa has forgotten more about football than anyone of us will ever know.
  • Options

<< <i>Does JoePa even coach any more? You never see him with a headset on. During the LSU game, the cameras were stuck on him and I never saw him say a single word. All he did was stand there with a towel around his neck. >>

He communicates telepathically.

The man is now a walking Zen moment. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You can Google college football history about some outstanding undefeated teams that Penn State had which got screwed in the polls, which is one reason Joe for many years has pushed for a college playoff system of some type. >>

Yep. Joe Pa has had 5 undefeated teams. His 1994 squad had possibly the best offense in college football history and got screwed out of a national championship. Penn State has the best winning percentage in bowl games than any other team 27-12-2.

Woody Hayes won 5 national championships.