Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Everyman Flying Eagle requirements

It seems odd that this set only has one of the 1858's but requires the 1856. Hard to view an 1856 Flier as an "everymans" coin.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    I really dislike the idea of a everymans set!! Au58 tops and your number 1 I dont think so.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just adding an image, not mine.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you have to think that if you could not afford an MS 1856 flyer, than your only able to buy a circulated one...or something like that....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>I really dislike the idea of a everymans set!! Au58 tops and your number 1 I dont think so. >>

You are a #1 Everyman, but not #1 finest (or whatever). Can you claim to have a number 1 set, absolutely.

Prices for all PCGS AU58's have been moving rapidly upward....
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I really dislike the idea of a everymans set!! Au58 tops and your number 1 I dont think so. >>

You are a #1 Everyman, but not #1 finest (or whatever). Can you claim to have a number 1 set, absolutely.

Prices for all PCGS AU58's have been moving rapidly upward.... >>

Yes I have seen that the prices for au58's have been strong. In a very short time I will not be suprised if au58's start to bring ms63 ish money and possibly higher depending on the coin. Very bad investment IMO as I still believe you should buy the best coin you can afford.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Prices for all PCGS AU58's have been moving rapidly upward.... >>

Yes I have seen that the prices for au58's have been strong. In a very short time I will not be suprised if au58's start to bring ms63 ish money and possibly higher depending on the coin. Very bad investment IMO as I still believe you should buy the best coin you can afford. >>

IMO the whole everyman set thing is goofy to begin with. I mean, how many sets can an average joe type put together in AU58 affordably? Not Walkers, we already figured that AU58 set was worth north of $50,000. Not Barber Anything, Mercury Dimes? The 16-D is a 5-figure coin in 58, the 21s aint cheap either.

I find the lowball sets amusing myself, but I would much rather see matched circ sets get some focus, Ideally I'll get my Barber Half set done in VF35 across the board. As tough as getting them all in VF is, getting them all in 35 is going to be the lifetime challenge, ditto the Dimes.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that there should be an XF-AU everyman set, a F-VF everyman set and a AG-VG everyman set. Maybe even a MS60-MS63 everyman set.

HRH: are you listening! There are millions of uncertified coins in these grades just waiting for a good reason to be certified.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    good idea Eagle Eye

but should probably hold off for a year or two
  • Options
    There is something rather odd about the Everyman sets. It's a great concept, but, while they eliminate those that are stratospherically priced because of condition, they leave in those that are rare because of date or type. They actually have an Everyman $3 gold coin registry. That's like saying that the Lexus IS250, without the navigation system, is a car for the everyday person.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.