Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Doing my first show, advice appreciated

I'm doing my first show, small table (5' x 2.5'). This is a quarterly show a local shop puts on. I have a lot of cards with book values all over the place. Is there a sweet spot? Should I have a $1 box, things like that. I have some odd ball mid nineties wax.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Currently Buying:
2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s

Comments

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    It's been years since I have done a show, but $1 boxes always paid my table fee. Everything after that was gravy.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Def have a $1 box.
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    $1 box for sure.

Fitty cent box covered my table cost last time thanks to the kiddos.
  • Options
    Ok, so definitely doing a $1 box.

Any help on pricing? Does junk wax sell if it's cheap at shows?
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd do a 1.00 box for sure.

Yes junk wax might sell.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    make sure your price is marked on everything; I hate when I have to ask the dealer "how much is this?", "how much is that?"
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Show neccessities: Showcases, a lot of small bills, and friendliness.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    And have fun!

• Options
    Don't forget the free beer.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In my area dollar boxes are too rich for most people. You need quarter or dime boxes to move stuff quickly IMO but you will figure out your locals soon enough.

Also, autos and RCs are what moves in my area as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Definitely quarter and dollar boxes. People will buy $6 worth of quarter cards as opposed to a $6 '75 Topps PSA 7 or 8... go figure.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your firings!

• Options

<< <i>make sure your price is marked on everything; I hate when I have to ask the dealer "how much is this?", "how much is that?" >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>make sure your price is marked on everything; I hate when I have to ask the dealer "how much is this?", "how much is that?" >>

>>

Nothing more annoying than looking at a 75 Topps Jim Palmer card and wondering if it is going to be 50 cents or $5.00.

Also, maybe organize common stuff by teams, especially those popular in your area. A 25 cent box of local teams always
    used to sell well for me, I also would put 25 cents or 6 for a dollar.

• Options
    Here's some things I learned...

1. Like Ironmanfan said, have everything marked.
    2. Be willing to make deals with people.
    3. Be willing to trade.
    4. Definitely have cheap boxes. $1, 50, 25, and 10 cents.
    5. Take your lunch with you, but don't eat infront of the customers. It looks sloppy.
    6. Beware of the other sellers. They are there to make money too. If you want to establish a long selling relationship don't try to under sell other people too much.
    7. Be prepared to sell junk wax all at once. If someone comes and asks how much for all of it, make them a fair deal.
    8. If you're in this to make money, then you might be in it for the wrong reason. I know very few people who have made a profit off of this.
    9. Have gift bags for kids or some type of special thing for kids who buy from you.
    10. Grab bags are awesome. I paid my table costs with grab bags. They were just small bags with different cards and one unopened junk wax pack.

These are just a few things that I learned from doing shows. Just remember to have fun. When people know you're having fun they will come to your table. Make sure to talk to as many of your customers as you can. Try not to sit too much and be engaged with those who come to your table. Look for things to chat with them about. Like if they're wearing a Reds ball cap, talk about what you know about the Reds etc.

This will be a great experience for you. Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    If you are by yourself, keep all the high dollar cards in one area.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    "Try not to sit too much and be engaged with those who come to your
    table." Agree - I think it is rude to be sitting when your customers are
    standing. Unless of course there are extra chairs you can offer them.

• Options
    If you have a teenage daughter, make her go with you. It helps keep the teenage boys at your table spending there dollar bills yall.
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    I do two shows a year at my church arts and crafts show and my kids elementary school fair. Just did them this month.

Here is what works for me and what I do (I live in Austin, Texas)

1. I make a $.25, $.50, $1 box clearly labeled out of the 200 count plastic cases. I actually break it into the two pieces for the table top.

2. I make a $.50 Dallas Cowboy single box of guys like Tony Romo, Barber, Williams, Ware, etc. All Cowboy boxes. I decorate them with Cowboy images using boxes that people send me cards in from eBay.

3. I make a $1 Texas Longhorn box of players in their UT uniform that are serial numbered. I already have over a hundred of these and pick some up each year off eBay.

4. Sell Dallas Cowboy team sets for $6 each or 2/$10. I buy them on eBay for about $2 delivered in mass with shipping discounts. These sell like hotcakes. Had 10 this year and they were gone fast.

5. I set up a Penzonni 1/2 table display case with Super Legs. Everything in the case in $5. Lots of low end Texas Longhorn and Dallas Cowboy jersey cards and rookies like 1990 Pro Set Emmitt Smith, UD Tiger Woods, Vince Young, etc.

6. I make "Grab Bags" that are $3 each or 2/$5. I made 20 and they sold out in the first half of the day. I generally put a pack of $.99 current year cards, team bags, topholders, etc. The bags are themed (Texas, Dallas, NFL, Top Secret). I have various autos/jersey cards inserted in them and have a sheet of paper under them with some of the hits listed. They generally would have an average of $5 to $10 worth of items.

7. I set up a Texas Longhorn $1 "team bags". The top card is of Vince Young and then 9 other various former Longhorn players.

8. I take my Penzonni latched table case with my graded cards in them. Holds around 48 graded cards. Helps with conversation starting, draws attention to my table etc. I make a sign that all graded cards are 50% of book (to avoid labels on each) and leave the latest Beckett Graded Card Price Guide on top of the case.

9. I take a 200 count plastic box and put autographed Texas Longhorn cards in their. Everyone is $7 with 3/$20 except VY who is $25 firm.

10. Set up my 17 inch laptop with scans of my high end graded cards in a slideshow. Again attention/conversation starter as you never know who might swing by.

After the show is over, I take the money and for the last two years have bought my display cases, a nice dinner for the wife and I, and one card that I have been wanting. This year I bout a 1993 SP Jeter BGS 8.5.

To me one of the keys is to use your laptop, printer, tape, etc and make your stuff look nice. Nice boxes, clearly marked labels & prices, etc. Focus on the low end but nice stuff. Put your salesmen hat on when planning your show. Be a friend during the show.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Just thought of this because of another comment made. When I have a couple of fold out chairs available for people, they spend more time going through my stuff and finding things. Last time I did a show I had 2 fold out chairs by my cheap boxes. One guy spent most of the day there just going through each card. It's definitely worth it.