Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps Baseball -- Grading help please!

I must admit that I've only submitted one 71 ever - and not sure how tough they grade these. Just bought a set for what I believe was a very good price, and only have a few PSA's to compare the raw to.

I am thinking that these are in the 5-6-7 range with an average of 6. Am I close?

Mike
Bosox1976

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    The WS game 5 is the worst and it's probably a 5 so the rest are def. in the 6 to 7 range, maybe an 8 on the NL ERA card.

Watch for recoloring, an easy way to check is to grab a stack of them and look at the edges, they all should look dull browny gray. Usually the black marker will bleed onto the sides of the card on recolored ones. John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of graded:

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thanks John - I was hoping that that was 5-ish as it seems to be the "floor" of this set. Most are like the Carlton.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I think you have an average grade of EX-MT with what you've shown. I think they grade these pretty hard most of the time. Here's a really nice 7 for example:

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I get the feeling that like 62's, different graders have different standards - that 7 is blazing. The set came with a BVG 6.5 Ryan that looks awful compared to that Stargell.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I think the black borders tend to over emphasize any flaws on the card itself. Centering is tough on several cards as well.

Ryan is a toughy. The key to the Ryan is centering.

A couple of more 7's:

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    jmoran is right on, Mike. Your Seaver LL looks awesome!

But take it from a guy with a set rated about 7.3: it's a brutal set to grade! and be very, very careful about recoloring.

THE tough card, without any question whatsoever, is card #536. Good luck on that one!

Nick
  • Options
    Thanks guys - evidently I didn't win the Claude Raymond Sweepstakes...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the matter, white borders just don't do it for you Mike?
  • Options
    Ha ha ha. That's probably true Nick. It sure is weird to close the lid on the scanner too.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike ... looks like you have a real nice "6+" set there. Enjoy it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice cards Mike, that Reggie card is a toughy centered too. Great set to collect.

daddymc I would resubmit all three of those cards especially the Stargell. It looks like a 8 to me or at least a 7.5. JMO
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    And they sure were tough on your Munson, Mike. That's as sweet a 6 as you'll ever see!

Nick
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get away with an 8 if two of the corners are mint and two show very light touches. I think the Stargell got done in by the fact all 4 corners show a hint of white. PSA is very inconsistant grading these though. I often resubmit the ones I feel were undergraded and probably get a bump about 50% of the time.