Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

OK, who wants to talk me off the ledge??

Just a bad collecting week all around - the usual "Mint" raw cards show up with major fuzzy corners, several key cards lost to over-bidders, a sad lunch hour spent reading the Merkel Report, and the news that Dec CC special is the last good chance to mass-improve my 1970 set on the cheap.

Someone pump me up here. I need some mind hugs. :-)
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    OK, over-dramatic I know, but damn am I grumpy when open a package of "mint" auction cards and they're gonna grade 7 IF I try. Of course, the seller will apologize and offer to refund my money if I pay postage to return them, but we all know that's throwing good money after bad when they're dirt-cheap commons...
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm No wonder I never buy Raw off of Ebay...
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Yep, it's a major crapshoot. But until I find a reliable new source of gradable commons, it's roll the dice or buy graded commons 'til the cows come home.

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be happy! It's better karma for the next deal.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, over-dramatic I know, but damn am I grumpy when open a package of "mint" auction cards and they're gonna grade 7 IF I try. Of course, the seller will apologize and offer to refund my money if I pay postage to return them, but we all know that's throwing good money after bad when they're dirt-cheap commons... >>

If it makes you feel any better, just went through the same thing this week... eBay seller selling 1977 Topps football team sets in MINT condition... only to get a bunch of soft corner, poorly centered junk cards. If graded, mostly 6's... for every outside shot 7 card, there was a sure fire 4 card with an outside shot at a 5 image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, buying raw on eBay is a crapshoot. Especially at todays prices. People are paying ridiculous prices for high grade raw lately. It's getting to the point where you can't even break even if a card pulls an 8. I should start cracking my 8s out and selling them raw on eBay, especially the high pops. They most assuredly would pull in more money raw.
  • Options
    Paid a top seller on Ebay good prices for GEM MINT commons to upgrade my set. I knew they wouldn't grade PSA 7's but bought them anyway to get possibly 1 (8) that might upgrade my set. I was disgusted by the Ex at best graded cards that I received. I've never sent back cards before but was so surprised I sent them back. I ripped into him explaining that he was a highly rated seller and wasn't even close with his grading and that he must not have looked at the cards before sending them and he assured me that he had.

He said he would agree to disagree and refunded my money super fast.

The day he gets the cards back he lists them with the same description.

If I knew he was going to do this I just would have done what I usually do when buying trash on Ebay...take them out of circulation by dumping them in the garbage.

The best source for me for commons that can grade 8's 10% of the time is New England Sportscards. When they open boxes they sell the questionable 8's along with the lower graded raws and I've been able to grade alot.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    If you are getting 8's from 10% of cards you buy from New England Sports Cards I'd guess that 80% of them are 8OC's.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    More likely they're late 1970s (1978 or 1979) commons. When they're selling 9s for $3 plus shipping, 8s aren't profitable even at their grading price.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Yep, buying raw on eBay is a crapshoot. Especially at todays prices. People are paying ridiculous prices for high grade raw lately. It's getting to the point where you can't even break even if a card pulls an 8. I should start cracking my 8s out and selling them raw on eBay, especially the high pops. They most assuredly would pull in more money raw. >>

agreed. the mentality of some buyers has shifted a bit recently......beware the bidders who don't care to forward to PSA, but just simply want a pretty card to own......but, the game is still the same, and there will be good days and bad.....i've had moderate success chasing raw and will continue to do so, not only because it's a good challenge to find sweet cards, but also because it contributes to the learning of the market, knowledge we hustlers must possess, and you simply can't live in fear of diminshed expectations.....good luck, see ya at the auction. image