Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was prepared to bid strong on this PCGS graded South Peru 8 Reales....until

Until I saw the big staple scratch at 10:00. How could this be in a PCGS slab? The coin is fantastic otherwise IMO and I'm disappointed. image
Heritage link

Edited to say: The scratch is right of the "P" in REPUB on the obverse.

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you express your query to Heritage and did they respond? After years of dealing with these auction houses, especially one in particular (not Heritage), I am not surprised by anything that is listed.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did. The auto response is that they may get back to me in a few days.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprising, since the scratch is very obvious. Although I just picked-up an AU 8 Reales graded by PCGS that is plagued my massive hairlines that I would never expect PCGS to slab. So... things get by the graders sometimes, it seems.
  • I experienced the same disappointment yesterday with the same coin. I've been trying off and on for about a year to acquire this type in the 45-58 range. Thought I had a winner until I saw that scratch.

If anyone knows of a reliable source for these in in my target grade range, please PM me.
    Something like this?

PCGS XF45

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    darn you 2k imageimage
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Not to defend PCGS's standards (cough) or Heritage's photography, but I would reserve judgment until seeing the actual coin. I know first hand that the angle, position, and harshness of the lighting can make an innocuous hit look like the grand canyon. Minor hairlining can look like a coin was hit by a brillo pad. It may be nowhere near as bad as it seems in the picture.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to defend PCGS's standards (cough) or Heritage's photography, but I would reserve judgment until seeing the actual coin. I know first hand that the angle, position, and harshness of the lighting can make an innocuous hit look like the grand canyon. Minor hairlining can look like a coin was hit by a brillo pad. It may be nowhere near as bad as it seems in the picture. >>

I agree. That could conceivably even be a scratch on the plastic.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>

<< <i>Not to defend PCGS's standards (cough) or Heritage's photography, but I would reserve judgment until seeing the actual coin. I know first hand that the angle, position, and harshness of the lighting can make an innocuous hit look like the grand canyon. Minor hairlining can look like a coin was hit by a brillo pad. It may be nowhere near as bad as it seems in the picture. >>

I agree. That could conceivably even be a scratch on the plastic.
    TD >>

Athough, When you really zoom in, it does appear to follow all the way down the rays and then "up" onto the face of the sun. Across above the right eye, and beneath the left eye.
  • what is going on in the date, the 3 particularly, it looks like someone scratched the Roman numeral IX in there
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I just sent my example in - not nearly as nice as 2Ks though.
    HOLY CRAP tydye!

EXCELLENT EXAMPLES!!!!!
    I think DNADave just guaranteed some bidding by posting that here image
    Love that volcano peso, tydye!
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original, darkish, crusty surfaces. Moderate grade. Many dramatically linear design motifs that the scratch largely blends into, although an old toned scratch would have been FAR better than a new one. Great eye appeal overall. Taken as a whole, I can understand why PCGS probably said, "It's too nice to not put into a holder."

My thought is to bid accordingly.
    When in doubt, don't.
    internet bidding.. CLOSED!

so much for picking this up on the cheap for like, 200 image
    I didn't bid. But if I had, I wouldn't have won. My "strong" bid was going to be 375.00 and I think this coin in particular wasn't worth the final bid (to me).
    BTW, Heritage never answered my question about the coin.
  • Gnarly. Looks like a no questions staple scratch to me.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents