Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Question regarding Star Wars factory autos

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker of these message boards and I have a question about Star Wars factory autographed cards. I am a big fan of factory autos and my goals were to have a card of every HOF baseball player, basketball player, and football player. I am now down to the expensive deceased players so I am looking for something new. After visiting Paul Holstein's vintage Star Wars card site I am fired to collect Star Trek and Star Wars cards.

There are plenty of Star Trek cards to keep me busy for a while, but I noticed there is a lack of available Star Wars cards. The demand for Star Trek autos surely isn't greater than Star Wars autos, so I am looking for any information about available cards or a good resource for collecting these auto cards.

Any information or disccusion is welcome - and thank you!
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle

Comments

• Options
    Consider This - Star Wars has six movies plus a few cartoon shows. Maybe 14 or 15 hours of filmed footage you can watch - started in 1977.

Now Star Trek has the 60's original TV show, followed by the 70's TV cartoon show, next 4 movies, then The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, 5 more Movies & The Enterprise TV Series (The worst of the bunch) then the latest Enterprise Movie which reboots the entire franchise. Literally thousands of hours of filmed footage you can watch.

There are 100's of books out there covering both shows.

I'm a fan of both but due to the overwhelming amount of Star Trek stuff out there (Including the larger number of potential star auto. cards) Star Trek stuff will always be in more demand than the Star Wars stuff. Try to buy either a 1967 Leaf or 1976 Topps Star Trek PSA8 card for less than a 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA8 card - It won't happen
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consider This - Star Wars has six movies plus a few cartoon shows. Maybe 14 or 15 hours of filmed footage you can watch - started in 1977.

Now Star Trek has the 60's original TV show, followed by the 70's TV cartoon show, next 4 movies, then The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, 5 more Movies & The Enterprise TV Series (The worst of the bunch) then the latest Enterprise Movie which reboots the entire franchise. Literally thousands of hours of filmed footage you can watch.

There are 100's of books out there covering both shows.

I'm a fan of both but due to the overwhelming amount of Star Trek stuff out there (Including the larger number of potential star auto. cards) Star Trek stuff will always be in more demand than the Star Wars stuff. Try to buy either a 1967 Leaf or 1976 Topps Star Trek PSA8 card for less than a 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA8 card - It won't happen >>

That is an interesting point - I never thought to compare vintage Star Trek to vintage Star Wars. I knew there was exponentally more footage for Star Trek, but my inital reaction was the failure of Topps managing the Star Wars IP. To my knowledge Topps has only put out five sets with autographs (with limited selection) as compared to Fleer/Skybox and Rittenhouse who produced 2-3 sets a year loaded with autos.

I believe your answer WarHoundR69 may be the correct assumption - there simply is a bigger collector base for Star Trek than Star Wars.

Thanks for the input!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    This could be an interesting debate. As a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, I've seen many differences over the decades. First, Star Trek has a larger, active collecting, fan base. As above, you have the original series, TNG, DS9, Voyager,Enterprise, the original movies, and the new one. I'd have to say the vast majority of Trekkies are adults. I'm not including the new generation(new movie) in my opinion. Most memorabilia, cards, etc. are designed/marketed for adult collectors.

Star Wars, is simply marketed for children. The collectors of Star Wars toys/cards are either kids or adults that grew up watching the Episodes 4-6. Check your local Wal-mart toy aisle, you'll find far more Star Wars Toys than Star Trek Toys. On the other hand, you'll find more expensive card sets of Star Trek than Star Wars. With so many other options for children, it would be tough to find a kid who wants a box of Star Wars cards over the newest SW XBOX 360 game.

I guess my point is, card companies could make money releasing a card set with insert autos from the Star Trek franchise than they could with Star Wars. There are far more card set options with Star Trek than SW as well.