Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Aureo Auction House.

If you're not familiar with Aureo Auctions and collect Spanish Colonial coins - i highly recommend checking them out.

Here's my haul from their December auction:

The first one is an 1816 Chihuahua 8 reales with an LCM counterstamp. There's some question as to the meaning of L.C.M. The description for the auction listed it as La Comandancia de Marina (The Naval Command). I'm leaning towards the meaning of La Comandancia Militar (The office of the Military Commander). Pradeau writes on this subject: "It has been custom for the commander of military operations to assume power in all branches of government during a state of siege or when martial law is declared. For example, from 1913 to 1917, during the Mexican revolution, nothing was done without first obtaining the approval of the military commander of the district. The very fact that there are at least fifteen different counterstamps bearing the initials L.C.M. - no two are alike in size or style of lettering - seems to indicate that military commanders of different districts were exercising the prerogative of revalidating coins by this method. Royalist as well as Insurgent coins appear with this counterstamp; this was done to reassure the populace, which was growing distrustful of the numerous types of currency being placed in circulation."

Second one was a lowball bid that I ended-up winning. From the image it appears to be the case of an over-assayer HJ over TH.