Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

to you, what is the most enjoyable part of this hobby

Please post
Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!

Comments

• Options
    Getting back envelopes addressed to me in my handwriting is really exciting to me right now. TTM's are like opening a pack of modern cards that you know has an auto in it but you don't know who it is yet.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I like lsu's answer. For me recently it's been getting cards (or stamps or photos) than I haven't seen before.

How about you, Sabrgeek?
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Submitting a gem mint card that comes back gem mint. image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    My favorite part is the little "rush" I get every time I find a signed rookie that I want and can afford for my signed rookie card collection.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most enjoyable for me is simply finding an item I've been looking for for a long time image

Steve
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys, I mean yall.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    The most enjoyable part is receiving your new card(s) in the mail, opening it up,
    and looking at it in person for the 1st time. Even more enjoyable when the card
    looks better than the scan, and you got a good deal (or the card is super high end
    for the grade).

• Options
    #1 has to be opening packs; just as I did as an 8 year old. Some things never change image
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    knowing that there will always be something out there that i've never seen before and the expectation of that which is new or substantially different will pleasantly surprise me.

the day i say, "Now, I've seen everything", would be a sad, sad day indeed.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding a new type card for my collection and making some friends along the way...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>The most enjoyable part is receiving your new card(s) in the mail, opening it up,
    and looking at it in person for the 1st time. Even more enjoyable when the card
    looks better than the scan, and you got a good deal (or the card is super high end
    for the grade). >>

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

I'm a little partial to the pile on threads. image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    the babes
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the babes >>

Ruth, Herman, Didrickson-Zaharias?? image
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Pujols rc will be at least $10000 as part to of my retirement
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the friends I've made along the way.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    When a sub finally pops and it turned out better than expected.
  • Options
    Same thing I enjoyed so much about this hobby as a kid... opening wax.

I loved sorting out the cards, removing the dupes, and putting together my want list to complete a set.

I don't get to do too much of that these days as I focus on vintage cards, but once a year I will buy a case or two of something (usually Topps and/or Topps Chrome), and get my rip on.

A close second is seeing the different things my fellow addicts collect and discovering things I never knew existed along the way... like a lot of the stuff Nearmint posts or mystical golden dusted ninja fairies from the Bayou.

Snorto~
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I get the most enjoyment out of selling cards for hundreds that I know will be worth nothing in 10 years. It's my way of getting back at those dealers that screwed me with all the crap I bought in the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    1) The "Hunt" and the thrill of the "capture" whether on ebay or at shows.
    2) Obsessively checking the mailbox and the rush I get when I see a bubble mailer or package in the box.
    3) Opening the package and seeing and holding the card in my hands.
    4) Scanning it and showing it off proudly on the forums.
    5) The setting of collecting goals and working to accomplish them...card by card.
    6) Displaying my prized cards in my football room.
    7) The "escape" from work, kids, and other headaches that surfing the forums and the hobby provides.
    8) The historical aspect of collecting....learning more about the history of football and holding a "little" piece of history.
    9) Sharing the passion with others who share it on the boards. Unfortunately, no one in my "real life" collects..so the forums is all I have.
    10) #10 is a hopeful for me.........hopefully I will be able to share my hobby with my son. He is 9 and as of yet has no interest. I want to take him to shows, teach him about the history of football, and pass my collection on to him.
  • Options

<< <i>the friends I've made along the way. >>

ditto that.

I really enjoy sharing a great new pickup with my hobby buddies, seeing other great new pickups from my friends, and making fun of my friends football teams when they lose image
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7) The "escape" from work, kids, and other headaches that surfing the forums and the hobby provides. >>

This is #1 for me.
  • Options
    The thrill of the hunt is probably whats most enjoyable to me.
  • Options
    Collecting what I want to collect.

I've been focusing on Lou Brock the last few years, and now that I'm down to just a few items, I've switched
    to my all time Cardinal top 15 at each position.

It's gotten me back into baseball history, and I've now got a type card collection going as well, as some
    of the players have only obscure regional issues.

Plus it's fun, and I love going to the post office to open padded envelopes.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    My hobby interests change a little every few months but this quote by LSU summed it up so well for me right now.

"Getting back envelopes addressed to me in my handwriting is really exciting to me right now. TTM's are like opening a pack of modern cards that you know has an auto in it but you don't know who it is yet."
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Meeting people who have the same interests as you as well as finding ungraded low pop. cards at shows/shops/ebay and getting 8's or higher when graded.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Getting cards in the mail!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    The work with the RITM site has been very rewarding. Being able to help others while at the same time communicate with the guys that played pro ball with Cal has been a great experience.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

ditto that.

I really enjoy sharing a great new pickup with my hobby buddies, seeing other great new pickups from my friends, and making fun of my friends football teams when they lose image >>

Well we do have a allot of chances with the Bills and the Seahawks. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    1. Busting cheap wax for the fun of it
    2. Searching and finding oddball stuff on ebay
    3. Putting a PSA submission together
    4. Going to shows - Chantilly, Va
    5. 1978 Topps Dodgers Team Set - I am 1/2 done now in PSA 9
    6. Talking to fellow collectors/hobby trends
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>#1 has to be opening packs; just as I did as an 8 year old. Some things never change image >>

yup, that about does it for me
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I'm a player collector and it is always a rush when I find something I didn't know existed.

It's kinda odd, but I get more enjoyment out finding a new item for my Carlton collection than I do any other part of my collection.

My wife asked me one day if I had to get rid of most of my collection, what would I keep. My answer was easy, take everything but my Carlton collection, that brings me the
    most joy, but is not the most valuable.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    I like RIPPING WAX.
  • Options

<< <i>

ditto that.

I really enjoy sharing a great new pickup with my hobby buddies, seeing other great new pickups from my friends, and making fun of my friends football teams when they lose image >>

Evening,
    I have to say...perfectly said by Joe. I have my Friends and Wife to share my Harley riding. My Friends, Wife and my Boys for my ATV'ing, Camping, Exploring, Livin' Large in the Rocky Mountians and the Hi's and Low's of Moab, and then I have these boards to share my Card collecting addiction !!!

YeeHah !!!image

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for such a fun forum topic. There is too much to enumerate upon, but I'll try. BigDaddyBowman had some good reasons. Some other reasons I have that are less touched upon are below.

I'm a young guy and I had never seen a graded sports card until last year, so I'm a new collector. I have quickly migrated from a baseball memorabilia collector and settled into a football memorabilia collector.

1) The chance to hold something tangible. Both work and personally, I'm increasingly on the computer (and again right now image ) and having an investment in cards to supplement day trading, E-Trade, droning quarterly e-statements from mutual fund companies, electronic banking, etc. fills a niche to own something concrete - and even emotional when I collect my Philadelphia Eagles.

2) A way to connect to a game that I enjoy - football - and learn its history from a bygone era. I wouldn't read nearly this many football biographies nor recounts of the 1949 NFL Championship Game, for example, if it weren't for the virtual and tangible connection that cards give me.

3) Relative peace of mind and stability of investment in football memorabilia. Even in a strong recession, values are propped up at 80-100% of pre-recessionary levels for the vintage football that I like - amazing! To me, the choices of memorabilia to collect were football, baseball, or basketball. When choosing Registries to collect, one question to myself was "Is there a greater likelihood to be more football, baseball, or basketball memorabilia collecting going forward?" My personal answer to that question (yours may differ) is why I have chosen football memorabilia.

4) Registries heighten the fun and the chosen Registry theme gives direction to a collection. There's fun every step of the way when a card that you desire appears on eBay, at a card show, or an auction house - tracking it in your Watched/Bid List, Bidding, Winning, Receiving it in the mail, Scanning it, Adding it to the Registry, Sharing it on the Message Board. Each of those 7 checkpoints is fun with each card.

5) The camraderie of other collectors and a great community. Though I've met just a few common Registry collectors in person already, the Boards make the group pursuit even better.

I cannot get all five elements above anywhere else.

-Keith
  • Options
    I'm copying from BigDaddyBowman's listimage
    1) The "Hunt" and the thrill of the "capture" whether on ebay or at shows.
    2) #2 is a hopeful for me.........hopefully I will be able to share my hobby with my son. He is 4 and as of yet has little interest. I want to take him to shows, teach him about the history of baseball, and pass my collection on to him.
    3) Opening the package and seeing and holding the card in my hands.
    4) The setting of collecting goals and working to accomplish them...card by card.
    5) The historical aspect of collecting....learning more about the history of baseball and holding a "little" piece of history.
    6) The "escape" from work, kids, and other headaches that surfing the forums and the hobby provides.
    7) Displaying my prized cards in my sportscard room that I hopt to have someday.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    No particular order:

The thrill of the hunt.

Winning something on the ebay, at a great price.

Busting the same wax I did as a kid, with my kid.

Opening a bubble mailer with my spoils.

Sifting through binders and boxes of cards at a dealer / show and finding something that looks cool and dosen't fit with anything I'm collecting and buying it anyway.

The joy of finishing a set or subset.

Sorting and organizing.

The message boards (especially reading the sleuth stuff and drama).

Scanning and posting stuff (I'm way behind on this one).

Looking at the rare cards posted here and on the other boards I frequent.

• Options
    This board
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great childhood memories of baseball and baseball cards, the beauty of a fine printed card, and I do like making money on the hobby as well....so I can buy more cards and coins. LOL
  • Options
    I enjoy post padding
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    For me, it is also TTM autos. It has really rejuvinated my enjoyment in collecting. I was so unfocused but not any longer. I really enjoy getting autos of players I grew up watching. It's so true like stated earlier, its like opening a pack of cards that you know has an auto in it but dont know who until opened. And its a heck of a lot cheaper than those packs that you get garbage STICKER autos!

As fun as ripping packs is, its so much more expensive now and I have enough junk wax Ive opened. Opening packs now is like playing the lottery...most times you lose and when you win, you are still WAY behind. Its too rare for that HUGE hit to keep my interest and think I can get more than 10% return on what I opened.
  • Options
    My personal Baseball Hall of Fame PSA RC collection, and flipping everything else for as much profit as possible. This is what I love the most.
  • Options

<< <i>I enjoy post padding >>

LOL
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Hearing the doorbell with the mailman holding a package with a card I've been waiting for.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    collecting hall of famer hanna montana
  • Options
    The trip to the mailbox