Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tobacco (Caramel) Cards Back From PSA !!! Now What???

Several days ago, I posted various cards that had severe back damage. You were very helpful in identifing those cards and offered suggestions on grading. Well, here are eight cards that just came back from PSA. Although I was somewhat disappointed, given the lack of creases on any of the cards, in the grades, most of you called it!! Now what? I am going to sell them. Where? At one time in 2003, I had the #1 1954 Bowman Baseball set. I ended up using an "auction" house and was "mildly satisfied." I do not believe these cards are that rare to warrant using an auction house. Am I wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Matt

mshups

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Matt,
    I would buy them if you would like to sell them. Send me an email at shaneleo@aol.com.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have any trouble selling those here, very nice.
  • Options
    I collect E101s, and would be interested in the ones you have. Let me know. Send me a pm.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice cards, let me know what you want for the cobb

what do the backs look like?

good luck with them
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Matt
    Here is my comments from three weeks ago when you asked what to do.

I would sell them to me. You have a very nice collection of cards that will grade out 1 or 2 with either of the companies. I am not sure if all of them have back damage or if just the ones that you have scanned. You definately have $2k worth of stuff there. Not sure how much the grading is going to cost you, so you might want to take that into consideration if you plan on selling them. If you can get $2K from a collector ungraded vs. $2400 graded but the cost for grading is $600. You might be better off selling them raw.
    One collector gave you advice to consign them to an auction house. Not a bad idea if you could not find a buyer for these beauties however I think you can probably sell these by tonight if you wanted.

Regards,
    Shane

I am definately interested in all of them if you want to talk.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Most of the likely buyers for those cards frequent either this message board or net54baseball.com .

If you haven't already reached a deal for them, join that board too and offer them for sale on their BST board as well as the BST and Vintage Sportscard Trading boards here.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also buy them. Your best bet is sending them to an auction house. Dont leave money on the table you have nice stuff. Send them to an auction house!!!! If you let them know what you have Im sure they will do you right!!!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill pay you 750 for the cobb and 925 for the wagner. But you should send them to an auction house . And i would also be interested in the rest at market value
  • Options
    As you can tell, you have a market for the cards.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    Just put them up on ebay, you should do well.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just put them up on ebay, you should do well. >>

With a little effort, he can probably do better than Ebay. Deciding on a price and listing to the message boards cuts out at least $75 in fees to Ebay.
  • Options
    After much thought, I have decided to list all the cards on eBay. They "go live" tonight, 1-2-10 @ 7:30pm PST. One week auction. NO RESERVE!!! Thanks again for all of your assistance, advice and insights. My eBay user ID is: mshups
    mshups

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Nice batch of cards, good luck with the auctions
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards...

Good luck with the sales...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Sell on eBay. they are graded too low for a good Auction House IMO.

If they didnt have the back damage I would say Auction House, no problem....

Top $$..... Sell them individually in the PreWar (pre1941) category on eBay with clear scans of the front and back.
    PS. In each listing mention you have others listed/available, stagger the listing so they dont end all at the same time, end with the Cobb and then Wagner.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Sell on eBay.
    Top $$..... Sell them individually in the PreWar (pre1941) category on eBay with clear scans of the front and back.
    PS. In each listing mention you have others listed/available, stagger the listing so they dont end all at the same time, end with the Cobb and then Wagner. >>

Excellent advice. I believe they've already been auctioned off, however. I was watching the T205 Johnson and it was ending this afternoon. Hope they all sold for a good price!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I see you got ~$2,300.00 for the Cobb and Wagner. VERY NICE!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Again, thank you for all the advice!!! I am very happy with the total amount bid on each card. My best to all of you.

Matt
    mshups

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Matt I ended up buying the Walter Johnson from you for my T205 set that I am currently working on. Thanks and congrats on the rest of the sales
  • Options
    You did make a killing on the 3 E101s. FAR above the average price in that grade. It turned out to be a great move to put them up on ebay as opposed to selling them on the boards. I did not think you would get those prices.

• Options
    I wish you would have posted them here. If anyone here bought the Cobb and wants to make a bit let me know.
  • Options
    Sagard-----they were posted on the Set Registry Forum----a couple of times!! Scans and all. Sorry you missed them.

Matt
    mshups

• Options

<< <i>Sagard-----they were posted on the Set Registry Forum----a couple of times!! Scans and all. Sorry you missed them.

Matt >>

With prices? I can't believe I missed it. You did very well, but I really wanted the Cobb. I just don't have the patience for Ebay anymore.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked out some of the prices and you did great with the sales...image

Congrats...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)