Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How to Store PCGS RED Copper coins ? ?

Hello,
My name is Greg
I have been building my 1909- 1958 PCGS lincoln basic cent collection for over the last 5 years now
My questions is.... What is the best way to long term store PCGS Red Copper lincolns ??
Thankyou for those who reply!
Sincerely ...... "Taylor Made Cent of Red"
Taylor Made Cent of Red

Comments

• Options
    no matter where you store it i would have silica packss with it to suck up any moisture. sure couldnt hurt.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Greg - I recommend you keep them in a secure Bank Vault. I use Silica gel packets and change them every three to four years.I live in New York City.

I suggest you google storage of Red copper coins

Stewart
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Greg - I recommend you keep them in a secure Bank Vault. I use Silica gel packets and change them every three to four years.I live in New York City. >>

I do the same as Stewart. The only difference being that inside my SDB, I have a sealed food-safe (i.e. PVC-free) container to further limit airflow. Slabs (and raw copper) and silica are inside the container.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Prior to Intercept Shield products I kept the slabs in the blue PCGS boxes and loaded the SDBs fresh silva gel packets, changing the out once a year. Since IS boxes, every coin is thus protected. No Silca Gel besides the IS boxes. Cheap protection but extra expenses for larger SDBs due to the added bulk the collecion now requires.

BTW, my current thinking is that the new PCGS no copper gurantee will be modified in a more reasoned way. I don't believe PCGS will be able to absorb the fallout that this decision will cost. Loss of credibility can often never be reversed, and that may prove to be the beginning of the end. Most of us know that it's the greedy work of coin doctors rendering heretofore decent coins into one year or less numismatic nightmares.
    Just because PCGS has PUBLICY stated that improper storage is the real culprit, don't you believe it.

Ira Stein
    dealer/collector

Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Great post there, Ira.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Around 1974, I was a young kid of 12 and was shown by some then old school dealers/collectors... to use some cotton inserts to place raw copper into, then into a paper 2 x 2 coin envelope.

Amazing that EAC was using that method for years...seemed to work.
    Now we have slabs to deal with.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those silica gel packs are the best... I use them for copper & proofs. image
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silica gel packs is what I use...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭