Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mercury Dime sets rule

This board was at one time rules by mercury dime collectors!

The dime people loved having a good time encouraging each on!

In the beginning it wasn't about who is number one!

It was do you need because I have and you can have it for ***** normaly under sheet.

Two things I remember
I was given a MS67FB for my set in baltimore

I put up the dime if someone donated to make a wish
The winner was a person whos boss matched his donation also.

Now that was a win win win for all

What great people
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice story, Pat, and you're correct. We ruled this board at one time. I miss those days. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have a registry set of Mercury dimes one day!
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    If I could find more rattlers I'd be posting them. Two new ones this year and one upgrade is all I've managed.

Millertime
  • Options
    Those were the days. Still have my set going.image
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Some day,I will do it again image
    Was fun.
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I've been quietly buying a Merc here & there with hopes of starting another Merc set.
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, those were the good old days. Everyone on the Merc board was interested in seeing what others had acquired, and were very supportive. Being the packrat that I am, I still have the responses to when I first uploaded my Merc set into the registry 8 years ago this month. I also have a list of the top 30 sets at that time, a veritable Who's Who of the Merc crowd, with Ken (Fairlaneman) being conspicuous by his absence. Too bad so few have had the same level of enthusiasm since then. Excuse the image quality - my scanner is on the fritz, and I had to use a digital camera to photograph the hard copies.

I still have my set, which is missing the '21-P and '16-D. Several coins were purchased from Fairlaneman, and the '25-D MS64FB was from Remunc (Wayne in the post above) in July 2004.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Jim, That is a bit before my time on these boards and predates my set by a bit.

Does anyone remember all the "passing zone" threads.

We would warn others when we were on the move.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my old memory serves me well, I believe the term was something like, turn signel on!

That was a great time on the registry board.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>If my old memory serves me well, I believe the term was something like, turn signel on!

That was a great time on the registry board. >>

Pat, I did a search and found this.

passing signals

• Options
    "I've been quietly buying a Merc here & there with hopes of starting another Merc set."

+1

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those were the days! Red Fridays, Passing signals and meeting like collectors.

Yesterday I was over on the Heritage site checking the Mercs that will be coming up for auction later this year and it looks as though the Joshua Set will be auctioned at Boston later this year. Can anyone confirm this?

As far as slabbed Mercs they are just not collected here anymore. I guess the plastic thrill just left me. Now its much more fun trying to find raw coins that will fit into a set that was started about 5 years ago.

Anyway its really great to see some of the old guys posting to this thread. We as a group had tons of fun and all know that no other series will replace are "Little Ladies" as the most magnificent coin ever produced by the United States mints.

Cheers to all of you and may you all stay in good health.
    Ken

• Options
    I miss those days, too. I'm happy to see the "old guard" is still around. Once I completed my set, I haven't done much with it since. I'm about as far up the registry ladder as I can get (no more passing lanes for me). Love the pics you all have posted and I still love pulling the collection out for a view.

Garrow