Home Sports Talk

Mercury Morris and the 72 Dolphins

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
This is not to diss the 72 Dolphins; but I think they need to all get together in Florida, drink champagne and then drop it for good. In my opinion, the Colts sent them a nasty message. The message was "We do not care about the record." Pulling Peyton with the lead in game 15 was a slap in the face to the 72 Dolphins. The fans are the only ones who care about these things. I think it's sad; but it's the truth. It's all about money and the Super Bowl. Although, the Colts must have bad memories. The last time they shut it down during a perfect season they lost their 1st game in the playoffs. The Steelers beat them up physically. They made alot of mistakes and looked like a team not in sync. Just to add: I think the 72 Dolphins record is awesome and I wonder behind closed doors how many Colts players were pissed when Manning was pulled and the backup QB was just terrible.

Mickey71image

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd be Royally Pissed Off if I was a Colts player!

Give up a chance to be the Greatest Team Ever, just to take a chance on being just another Super Bowl winner? imageimage

Not to take anything away from winning the Super Bowl (it is a great achievement)...but I'd rather be known as being a member of the Greatest Team Ever! image

Hats Off to the 1972 Dolphins!!!!! image

Steve

• << <i>Personally, I'd be Royally Pissed Off if I was a Colts player! >>

Why would you be pissed? An undefeated season means nothing without a super bowl win, just ask Tom Brady and all the patriots if he would have traded the perfect regular season for a super bowl win. 100 out of 100 players would have readily made that trade.

<< <i>Give up a chance to be the Greatest Team Ever, just to take a chance on being just another Super Bowl winner? imageimage >>

Even if the Colts went undefeated and won the super bowl, they wouldn't be known as the greatest team ever.

<< <i>Not to take anything away from winning the Super Bowl (it is a great achievement)...but I'd rather be known as being a member of the Greatest Team Ever! image >>

Uhm, winning the super bowl is the ULTIMATE achievement in pro football...much, much more important than some dumb regular season record.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    these players are professionals how does losing a game, when you basically give up help anything? its not NCAA basketball where a loss may humble a 19-20 year old kid. these guys get paid to play and win. the pats were cruzin until the superbowl and just lost on that day, you play that game another 9 times and the pats win it 8. how can a team not want to win everygame played.

i think it was a shame to sit the players, next week they should not take a snap and play all 3rd string players.

next week the games that have no playoff meaning should be canceled, why get someone hurt?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Arguments can go either way. This I do know, back in high school we were 8-0 and we locked up 1st seed, we sat out qb and main wr ( not me lol) and lost. We were real mad about that, and guess what, we lost to a team that we crushed earlier in the year. I think if we hadnt sat those guys, and lost our perfect season, we would have carried momentum.

Our Wr was a crybaby though he didnt set a td record because of this, and I think he was and still is the reason we lost. 0 catches that game....The guy usually had 10 plus.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Manning gets hurt in a meaningless second half win, we would be talking about an entirely different subject. Do you risk your whole season for a perfect record? Either arguement is valid.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I want a team to go 19-0 to make the '72 Dolphins GO AWAY. Those guys are about the most annoying thing in sports to me. Seriously. The breaking out the big smiles and the bubbly when the last undefeated team loses is so annoying. They just look like a bunch of jerks.
  • Last night, the Colts basically said we do not care about the 72 Dolphins or their perfect record.
  • The letter from Shula was ridiculous in how it talked of how Indy losing confirmed how difficult it is to go undefeated. Indy did not lose because of the pressure to go 19-0. Indy lost because they did not see going undeafeated as a priority and rested their players. I do wish Indy would've run the table just to shut up the '72 Dolphins.
  • Did the Colts fans at the game get an exhibition game discount? Of course not. The Colts were the only pro team that I really respected as Peyton Manning is one of the class, throwback players. Now I hope that they get bounced in the first round.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The letter from Shula was ridiculous in how it talked of how Indy losing confirmed how difficult it is to go undefeated. Indy did not lose because of the pressure to go 19-0. Indy lost because they did not see going undeafeated as a priority and rested their players. I do wish Indy would've run the table just to shut up the '72 Dolphins. >>

i agree whole-heartedly
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• << <i>Did the Colts fans at the game get an exhibition game discount? Of course not. The Colts were the only pro team that I really respected as Peyton Manning is one of the class, throwback players. Now I hope that they get bounced in the first round. >>

Uhm what are you talking about? You no longer respect Manning because he feels the postseason is more important than the regular season, in which they went 14-0 and had the #1 seed locked up? Really? And would you have respected Peyton more if he had been out there in the second half of a meaningless game and gotten injured? Or would you be here screaming at a coach who left his QB in a meaningless game to get hurt?

Good god people settle down. The coach made the right call. Let the first team play a half, look sharp, put up points on a stingy defense, then rest the important and injured players. It's apparent you guys have never played sports on any level to suggest that a meaningless regular season record in any way, shape, or form trumps postseason success.

• << <i> Let the first team play a half, look sharp, put up points on a stingy defense, then rest the important and injured players. >>

Indy put 9 points on the board in the first half and did not look all that sharp. I actually thought their play in the first half would keep them in the entire game.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Doesn't this happen in Basketball EVERY year? Team resting their starters in late-season meaningless games, not the perfection part of course.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury Morris is annoying.

Why is it that when an NFL team with a record of 13-0 or better come around in December the sports media always dredges up the 1972 Dolphins and always dredges up the same guy from that team. Mercury Morris. He is annoying beyond belief. He probably makes a living off of being a shill for the 1972 Dolphins team.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Arguments can go either way. This I do know, back in high school we were 8-0 and we locked up 1st seed, we sat out qb and main wr ( not me lol) and lost. We were real mad about that, and guess what, we lost to a team that we crushed earlier in the year. I think if we hadnt sat those guys, and lost our perfect season, we would have carried momentum.

Our Wr was a crybaby though he didnt set a td record because of this, and I think he was and still is the reason we lost. 0 catches that game....The guy usually had 10 plus. >>

umm i hope you just graduated from HS, otherwise give it up already.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Let the first team play a half, look sharp, put up points on a stingy defense, then rest the important and injured players. >>

Indy put 9 points on the board in the first half and did not look all that sharp. I actually thought their play in the first half would keep them in the entire game. >>

I thought they would stay after a not so good first half.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the Colts fans at the game get an exhibition game discount? Of course not. The Colts were the only pro team that I really respected as Peyton Manning is one of the class, throwback players. Now I hope that they get bounced in the first round. >>

actually the fans did the the nfl exhibition discount. there isnt one. same price preseason or real game. then increase the price for playoff games in increments.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody really think the 72 Dolphins were the best team ever! Come on, sure they went 14-0, but the couldn't play with any of the big teams of late. Such as the 93-95 Cowboys and others.

Plus the year before (71) The Cowboys beat the Dolphins 24-3 in the SB. The ONLY team to ever not allow a Touchdown in a Super Bowl.

The Dolphins 72 record had move to do with level of play.....than how good the were!
  • Does anybody really think the 72 Dolphins were the best team ever! Come on, sure they went 14-0, but the couldn't play with any of the big teams of late. Such as the 93-95 Cowboys and others.

Plus the year before (71) The Cowboys beat the Dolphins 24-3 in the SB. The ONLY team to ever not allow a Touchdown in a Super Bowl.

The Dolphins 72 record had move to do with level of play.....than how good the were!

And the year after (1973) the Dolphins beat the Vikes for a 2nd straight Superbowl victory. What does any of that mean?

Perhaps Mercurry Morris and the rest of the 72 fins are bitter old men because people like you make this stupid statement and refuse to recognize something special. bottom line, no other football team has gone unbeaten or tied since or after, how can anyone argue with that? They beat every team they faced that year, they were underdogs in the AFC game agianst the steelers and underdogs to the Redskins. And both times they won, in fact had Garo Y. made the field goal the game would have ended 17-0 just like their record. The redskins could not move the balls on the Fins in that game.

Here's another great stat, in 1972 Greise went down with a broken leg and old man Earl Morral stepped in for 10 games. How would the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, etc do if they lost their starting QB.

Miami accomplished something special that year and no one gives them credit, I would be bitter and wish for other teams not to accomplish that too.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    This game planning by the Colts has served them so well in the past, I don't see why they wouldn't keep doing it every year...image
  • If the Colts dont at least go to the super bowl, they should fire that coach.
  • f the Colts dont at least go to the super bowl, they should fire that coach.

Why - because he sat some starters in menalingless games. A couple of years ago the Pats were undefeated played all their starters and lost the Superbowl to a team they beat in the last game of the regular season. Had they sat Brady in the last game the Giants would not have elevated their believe that they could play with the Pats and Brady might have been healthier to play the SB.

Comments like this is why "fan" comes from the word fanatic....
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 72 Dolphins were a good team, but do you really think they could play with todays teams..........NADA!!!!!! NO WAY !!!
  • come on, do you think the packers of the 60s could play with teams today? Do you think you Staubach cowboys could play with today's teams? How about the 70s steelers, etc...

I'm explaining why Morris is so bitter - he should be. It's point of views like this that makes them so irrate. The fact remains that no other team has done it and that should be something that everyone should consider special BUT most fans (outside of dolphin fans) don't or belittle them
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how passionate Mercury Morris was about the Dolphin's record when he was locked up?

• << <i>f the Colts dont at least go to the super bowl, they should fire that coach.

Why - because he sat some starters in menalingless games. A couple of years ago the Pats were undefeated played all their starters and lost the Superbowl to a team they beat in the last game of the regular season. Had they sat Brady in the last game the Giants would not have elevated their believe that they could play with the Pats and Brady might have been healthier to play the SB.

>>

Because it was a BONEHEAD move. Every game is important. The Colts worked so hard to get to 14-0, only to throw it all away. Manning and the other starters wanted to play. It also cheats the fans who pay thousands of dollars to watch the stars in action. Any loss will hurt a teams confidence. Look at the saints. Look at how bad the Colts played againsnt a horrible Buffalo team. I guarantee those last two colts losses will affect how they play in the playoffs. Ive seen it happen over and over, when the coaches who sit there star players, when playoff time comes around they perform like s$%&.

You take away one fluke play during that 4th quarter of the giants super bowl, and the patriots would have gone undefeated that year.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's apparent you guys have never played sports on any level to suggest that a meaningless regular season record in any way, shape, or form trumps postseason success. >>

Sorry for the delayed response but I just saw this post.

Michael Irvin said he would trade in all 3 super bowl rings and being in the HOF for an undefeated season.

<< <i>"I would turn in all three Super Bowls and my Hall of Fame bust for one undefeated season," Irvin said during NFL Gameday Morning. >>

That's not taking anything out of context, he really did mean it.

Don't believe me, here's the video provided by the NFL: Link

So, what were you saying again?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts