Home Precious Metals
Options

South African Gold 2 Rands

I picked up a couple of these off the BST here, and have decided I really like the looks of the coin. I know these coins have a pretty low mintage, but from a collection standpoint are they worth much more than their melt value, or just considered bullion? I was thinking it would be cool to get one from each year, but wasn't sure on how they were looked upon by collectors/PM guys. Thanks for your time.
"When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are collectible by date, but trade as bullion.
    They seem to suffer some of the old bias against the Krugerrand. I find them hard to sell at any premium.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thanks Capt...if you ever have any that come in the store in nice shape that you would like to sell around spot, shot me a PM, I would probably be interested.
    Thanks!

• Options
    Are they proofs or regular strikes?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Not sure if they are proof or not..they look uncirculated. Thanks Weiss for the Apmex link...I looked on there and it looks like they are currently buying these at spot and selling for about $20-$22 over spot. Thanks again for the help.

• Options

<< <i>Are they proofs or regular strikes? >>

They come both ways, but it generally doesn't matter.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The earlier proofs ( 10 shillings and 1 pound) from the mid 1950's were lower mintage coins 500-900 per year , . these were only minted in proof and no circulating coins were minted.
    In the 1960s the numbers exploded in both proofs and circulated and they carry minimal numismatic value.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    Another good buying opportunity is Netherlands 10 Gulden coins. Net weight 0.1944 troy ounces. They are well known, but for some reason not popular.