Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Medals Purchased

Picked these up on the very cheap. I liked the detail and look of them in spite of not being a Medal collector other than Swiss Shooting Medals.
These are very thick slabs (much thicker than a standard NGC slab) of 19th century French (and one Bohemia) Medals.

Anyone know anything about them other than commemorating known people (and their death)? I would categorize this as another impulse buy for me.

Comments

• Options
    Great looking medals Zohar.

Frankly though; if I had them I think I'd crack them out of the holder.

They are what they are; from the standpoint of provenance, strike, surfaces, color, etc.

I'm just not sure the grading gods need to get involved in assigning point grades to history.

But that's probably just me image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    canadacolornut - Thank you.
    What are these medals all about? Are they part of a series which is cataloged?
  • Options

<< <i>canadacolornut - Thank you.
    What are these medals all about? Are they part of a series which is cataloged? >>

Zohar, I believe Medals 2, 3, and 4 are all death medals and are probably part of a series?
    I'm sill trying to figure out the first one and where 'Schoenau' is in Bohemia...
    Could this be it? Teplitz-Schonau
    That's a really cool coat of arms, I wonder if it's his or the old coat of arms for what is now Teplice in the Czech Republic.

Here: is an old map of the disrict as well...
    Jim
  • Options
    JimK - I believe that makes perfect sense. Thank you.

"Teplice (tĕ'plĭts&#277image or Teplice-Šanov (-shä'nôf), Ger. Teplitz-Schönau, city (1991 pop. 53,004), NW Czech Republic, in Bohemia, in the Erzgebirge [ore mountains] and near the German border. It is a road and rail hub and an industrial center in the heart of a lignite-mining area. In addition to coal, the city produces machinery, ceramics, glassware, and textiles. Teplice is also a famous resort and spa whose hot mineral springs were known prior to Roman times. A historic encounter between Beethoven and Goethe took place in the city in 1812. Industrialization dates from the late 19th cent., when large lignite deposits were discovered nearby. German forces held the city from 1938 to 1945, after which it was returned to Czechoslovakia and the German population was expelled. Teplice has a noted medieval castle."
  • Options
    Zohar,
    YES! 2, 3, and 4 are part of a series, HERE is some more information...
    Jim
  • Options
    JimK - http://www.exonumia.com/sale11/allb.htm

Number 1856 - Belgium. Elevation of Archbishop Sterckx to Cardinal, 1838. "Engelbertus Sterckx Archiep Mechlin" around bust of the Archbishop in a Cardinal's hat. Reverse six line legend concerning his elevation to cardinal by Pope Gregory XVI on Sept. 13, 1838. By Julien Gabriel Leclercq. Touneur-457, Wurzbach-8558. 56 mm choice XF red and brown patina bronze.

I believe this one is it and is Belgian not French if that is the case.
  • Options

<< <i>JimK - http://www.exonumia.com/sale11/allb.htm

Number 1856 - Belgium. Elevation of Archbishop Sterckx to Cardinal, 1838. "Engelbertus Sterckx Archiep Mechlin" around bust of the Archbishop in a Cardinal's hat. Reverse six line legend concerning his elevation to cardinal by Pope Gregory XVI on Sept. 13, 1838. By Julien Gabriel Leclercq. Touneur-457, Wurzbach-8558. 56 mm choice XF red and brown patina bronze.

I believe this one is it and is Belgian not French if that is the case. >>

Looks like you nailed that one. They must have made big ones and small ones as there is a size difference- unless NGC can't measure as well. lol
    Are you going for the other 116 in the French set? image
    Jim
  • Options
    JimK - I bought these on impulse, and learned a tiny bit about medals. I should probably stop here and refocus on my Talers.

Thanks for your help!

Zohar
  • Options
    Zohar,
    My pleasure and thanks for sharing!
    As always, I look forward to seeing more of your Swiss Shooting Medals.
    Jim