Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post some South American that takes my breath away...

I'm just getting though my third week since surgery to remove 30% of my right lung (cancer). Post something South American for me!

Especially anything early Republican. Andy, this is your opportunity to try your hand with your picture taking skills and to show off some of your well hidden gems! image
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    A recent acquisition and my best wishes for you to have a full and speedy recovery. image

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rather fond of this "Rebel Peso", struck by General Brizuela in Rioja, Argentina in 1840. Here's the only info I was able to find online regarding Brizuela. It's translated by Babelfish from the original Spanish on Wikipedia, so don't expect it to read very well.

Tomas Brizuela (La Rioja, circa 1800 - Sañogasta, province of La Rioja (Argentina), 20 of June of 1841), military man and Argentine caudillo, lieutenant of Facundo Quiroga in its native, governing province of the same between 1836 and 1841, and that died fighting against the hegemony of Juan Manuel de Rosas. Known like “zarco”, term that the gauchos use indifferently for those who have clear eyes of different colors or eyes, from young person was united to the federal forces. It accompanied to Facundo Quiroga in the battle of the Cutting against Lamadrid, and as head of the infantry in the battle of Corner of Valladares, that was worth the ascent to him to colonel. Later it fought in the defeat of the Tablada. When its province was invaded by Lamadrid, after the federal defeat in Oncativo, was taken prisoner by the lieutenant colonel Melián. Lamadrid ordered to shoot it, but Melián saved the life to him; shortly after, this one was overcome and Brizuela ordered to shoot it. In retaliation, Lamadrid ordered to shoot 200 federal prisoners. Hidden in the mountain ranges and the forests, Brizuela waited for its opportunity. By the end of 1830 it was sent to the fight to recover La Rioja for his party, and occupied the provincial capital. The 3 of February of 1831 were made appoint governor nearly time. Shortly after the news arrived from the victory of Quiroga in the Roundup of Chacón, that gave the control him of Whose. Brizuela united its forces to those of the great caudillo and was commander of the provincial army during the following years. The 15 of January of 1836 Martin Yanzón and contraatacó rejected the invasion of the sanjuanino governor, occupying the city of San Juan and forcing Yanzón to flee. The 20 of May of 1837 were named governor by the provincial legislature. His government did not obtain anything useful. At this time its character changed completely, and once the active caudillo transformed itself into alcoholic an indolent one. At the beginning of 1840, liberal and the unitary ones of the provinces of the north they formed the Coalition of the North they invited and it to comprise. When seeing that she doubted, they appointed military leader of the Coalition, although nobody thought to put itself to its orders. The unitary officials who arrived from Chile (like colonel Juan Esteban Pedernera, envoy to be its chief of staff), and those that they would arrive later with Lavalle despised, it by alcoholic and head of montoneras games. Taking his paper in serious, Juan tried to convince to the caudillo santiagueño Felipe Ibarra to be united him, but this one refused and remained faithful to the dictator Juan Manuel de Rosas. After his defeat in the battle of Shod Quebracho, unitary general Juan Lavalle retired towards the north, and to delay to his enemy Manuel Oribe he intrenched in La Rioja. It tried to dominate itself Brizuela, that as well wanted to make merit its character of commander on the Buenosairean general. Like result, the province was invaded without problems by Benavídez and Jose Felix Aldao, who closed the wall on La Rioja, threatening at the same time to Lavalle and Brizuela. Lavalle left the province towards Catamarca and Oribe went after him (it would manage to overcome it months later), while Aldao continued advancing towards Brizuela. This one, that still sent a force of 600 men, retired to the valley of Famatina, in the west of the province. It was reached in defeated Sañogasta and. During the battle, it was baleado by the back by one of his officials, and died before being taken to the presence of Aldao.

imageimage

And sorry, Gary, but I didn't take the pictures. They're from the Millennia catalog.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm sorry I don't have anything South American to post for you...
    But I do wish you well in your recovery.
    Best,
    Jim
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry I don't have anything South American to post for you...
    But I do wish you well in your recovery.
    Best,
    Jim >>

AMEN!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern stuff:

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes and the pics so far, everyone! Andy, your coin is 'off the charts' with a great history behind it. Now you have an idea why I mentioned 'branching out' in our conversation. Keep the coins coming! image

Gary
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pray your full speedy recovery. image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Another little prize, this one from the Venezuelan War for Independence.

imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    This one's not mine, unfortunately. It may be the finest known of the type.

imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Nice one, Andy.

• Options
    Bill, your Chilean Peso is absolutely breathtaking! (Please let me know if and when you intend to part with it.) image

Gary
  • Options
    Thanks, Gary. image

• Options
    This is one of my favorites from the Eliasberg sale. Unfortunately, it was beyond my reach.

It is described on the coinfactswiki as:

This specimen was lot 1008 in the Eliasberg sale, where it sold for $149,500 (one of the most expensive coins in the sale). It is a rare one year issue from La Rioja province. Rosas, depicted on the obverse, is hailed by some as the savior of Argentina and denounced by others as a bloodthirsty, homicidal maniac. The reverse legend "POR LA LIGA LITORAL SERA FELIZ" might be translated as, "The coastal league will make us happy."

The catalog description[1] noted, "1836 R 8 escudos. Rioja mint. EF-45 (NGC). Portrait of General Rosas to left in military dress, ROSAS below / mountain, crossed flags and cannons below, legends, assayer, date around. An exceptional specimen of one of the greatest South American rarities. Bright yellow gold with abundant lustre and some prooflike reflectivity in protected areas. Boldly struck and finely detailed, area of toning at truncation of Rosas' bust, some light hairlines, two short digs right of mountain on reverse, imperceptible rim cut at 3:00 relative to obverse. One of only a very small number known; the Ulex piece has been the plate coin in most standard references (including Calico and KM) as no other specimen has transacted in a public auction in decades. Missing from nearly every major collection worth noting; indeed, we know of only the Ulex, Fonrobert, and Medina specimens -- even the great 19th century collector Alejandro Rosa of Buenos Aires never owned this coin. One of the highlights of the Clapp-Eliasberg collection. From the John H. Clapp Collection; Clapp estate to Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., 1942. Plated in Wayte Raymond's The Gold Coins of South America, 1936; and in the serial published in Coin Collector's Journal January 1937, Vol. 3, #10, p. 212."

Andy Lustig

• Options
    The Nueva Granada and Argentina pieces are certainly heart stopping, Andy. Let's expand this to include Central America so you can show us some of your own gems (pretty please) image

Gary
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Lovely coins gentlemen.

• Options

<< <i>Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Lovely coins gentlemen.

image >>

As are yours. Keep em comin!

Gary
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    Let's expand this to include Central America...

I thought you'd never ask!

Andy Lustig

• Options
    Wish you a full and speedy recovery!!
  • Options
    Like the 1833 8 Escudo, this one's from the Mayer Collection.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    Here's a pretty tough coin, even though it's not a gem.

imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Hey Andy, that 1833 8E is MIND BLOWING! image

In the words of Oliver Twist, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Gary
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like the 1833 8 Escudo, this one's from the Mayer Collection.

image >>

Gorgeous coin. Thank you for sharing it, Andy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Like the 1833 8 Escudo, this one's from the Mayer Collection.

image >>

Gorgeous coin. Thank you for sharing it, Andy.[/q

Yes, thanks Andy! Truly amazing! image

Gary
  • Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I have always loved in my collection. wish you a good recovery.

chris

Uruguay Peso 1942
    Text
  • Options

<< <i>Here's one I have always loved in my collection. wish you a good recovery.

chris

Thanks for the well wishes, Chris. Simple, yet nice design!

Gary
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary, I also would like to wish you a speedy recovery. In the words of Thomas Carlyle: "The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak, became a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong."
  • Options
    Well said, Roman!

Gary