Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry "etiquette" question

Is it accepted procedure to email the "set leaders" when I have a PSA 10 card for auction.

Example, from our previous group sub, I was fortunate enough to pull a 1977 - PSA 10 card. Is it proper form to email the top 10 or 20 1977 - set "leaders" when I auction the card?

Any answers would be great.

Thanks all, and best wishes!

D

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I'm told that it is pretty standard procedure.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty much accepted behavior, and many people (me included) appreciate it image

Steve
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    If it's 77 Topps Baseball, there's only 2 people you need to email.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Thank you all!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Personally, I appreciate it. It lets me know that there are other people looking at cards I might need. Many times they are working on sets that I might be able to help them with.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most do not mind being contacted, myself included about something they could use in their set. As long as it fits in their set and your not wasting their time as Archaninator said.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Another thought - if I were the holder of a top-rated set, and someone DIDN'T email to give me a chance to fill a hole or upgrade a weak spot, THEN I'd be pissed.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another thought - if I were the holder of a top-rated set, and someone DIDN'T email to give me a chance to fill a hole or upgrade a weak spot, THEN I'd be pissed. >>

The flip side of that is, if you were pissed at everyone who emailed you and then sold the card on eBay, you wouldn't stay in the top-rated tier of set holders for long. Pissed or not, they will still bid.
  • Options
    Agreed; I'm just countering any concern that emailing them might be improper form.

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If they allow for emails I see no problem.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    What Steve said.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a bit uncouth to email advertising an auction. If you want to email them, let them know the price and make it a straight sale.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is a bit uncouth to email advertising an auction. If you want to email them, let them know the price and make it a straight sale. >>

I have to disgaree. Nine out of ten times, what you're emailing them to offer is an item they haven't been able to land on their own, like a VERY low pop item. How on Earth do you set a price prior to sending out the emails, and why then would you send emails to more than one person at a time?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I personally really appreciate when people contact me about cards I might be interested in.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is a bit uncouth to email advertising an auction. If you want to email them, let them know the price and make it a straight sale. >>

I agree with this. If you're taking the time to email me directly about something you have for sale, then at least give me an opportunity to buy it without the card going to auction. If you're just going to put it on Ebay, I'll find it anyway and your email is a big waste of my time.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's okay, as long as it's a card they need. At the top of all my sets, I actually invite people to email me if they have a card I need.
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree with this. If you're taking the time to email me directly about something you have for sale, then at least give me an opportunity to buy it without the card going to auction. If you're just going to put it on Ebay, I'll find it anyway and your email is a big waste of my time. >>

OH, this I agree with. I think that everyone you email should be given a crack at the item before an auction begins. My comments were that it's OK to email them without a direct offer to sell, but rather to let them each have a crack at making a best offer.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    You get the option of having/not having your email address displayed on your sets.

If you have your address shown.....but don't like getting emails.....something is wrong.