Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Christmas Treat for the British Coin Lovers

A friend just got these grades in from ATS and asked me to share them with anyone interested, I only wish they were mine.

1860 Penny, seems pretty usual, excpet it's a raised shield line proof that's very nicely toned:

imageimage

Do you like Wren Farthings? How about a Reverse Die Trial Piece, in Silver, ex Norweb:

imageimage

Well if you don't like those how about a plain old 1937 Crown, in Matte Proof, and ex Norweb:

imageimage

For those that don't collect British these are all very tough pieces, any one of them could be the centerpiece of a nice collection. Heck, if I had those three I might get rid of all my others.

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    All are exceptional, but I really like that Penny.
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Three tremendous British coins, you have nice friends. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even collect those and I absolutely love them.

The 1937 Crown looks like one of those "Patina Collection" modern restrikes (but of course, its not).
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Way outside of my area too but I've always liked the "wrens" (having a complete unc set) and the die trial is a real honey. What a prize! Thanks for sharing.

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures of some wonderful coins that combine what seems best in coins, good designs with beauty and rarity (well, no doubt price too!). Darkside Rules!
    My favorite would be the crown, but only just barely as the best of the bunhead design is shown in that proof, and the wren is lovely in its simplicity
    whilst retaining elegance.

To imagine that the Norwebs had hundreds of such coins!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding, the artistic engraving is beautiful.

-Robert
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I really like the 1860 penny - fantastic work of art.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The best part about the 1860 Penny is he bought that raw on ebay a couple of years ago for $80, that turned out to be quite a bargain.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! Very , very nice coinsimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.