Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World coin auction news

Just in case not everyone knows the news by now:

Ponterio (aka Bowers & Merena) is no longer having an auction in conjunction with the Chicago International Coin Fair (usually in April) but will instead have auctions at the 3 Baltimore shows (Feb/Mar, Jun, & Nov). It also looks like they will continue the summer world coin auction at/before the summer ANA convention. That means they are up to 5 auctions/year now.

And it looks like Heritage picked up the CICF auction. I don't know if they are keeping both Long Beach world coin auctions (May & Sep), but if they do, Heritage will be up to 4 world coin auctions/year.

Then there are the 2 Goldberg world auctions and several Stacks & Coin Galleries world auctions.

I wonder if the quantity and quality of consignments can keep up.

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the update.

"I wonder if the quantity and quality of consignments can keep up"

I hope so .... but I doubt if the quality will !!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I also see the quality of consignments as a problem. While the Heritage NYINC auction has a bunch of lots I am interested in, the Stacks has precisely two (2) lots that I might put a bid on. And the Heritage Monthly World Auction has not come up with any top notch material.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on the Heritage monthly internet sales is that they are not intended for top-notch material. Those are put into a Signature floor sale or possibly a Signature non-floor sale.

The monthly sales seem to be for left-over material from collections, better than stuff in bulk lots, but not good enough for a lot in a Signature sale.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My take on the Heritage monthly internet sales is that they are not intended for top-notch material. Those are put into a Signature floor sale or possibly a Signature non-floor sale.

The monthly sales seem to be for left-over material from collections, better than stuff in bulk lots, but not good enough for a lot in a Signature sale. >>

I believe you nailed it.

My observation comparing the NYINC and the monthly lists is that the average collector benefit from the monthly sales. The NYINC will attract the affluent collector more than the average Joe, not everyone can afford to bid on a MS65 1921 Canadian 50c. Although I plan to bid on a couple of pieces in the NYINC, I expect to end up watching from the sidelines wishing I could afford some of the beauties.

Also, I think the monthly sales will provide a better picture of the health of the world coin market in this economy.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay