Home Sports Talk
Options

Winter Olympics

Are you ready?

Comments

• Options
    Yep. Winter Olympics hockey, and then the World Cup in the summer.
    Not a bad duo for international competition.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea...bring on that figure skating and those exciting bobsled and skiing events...I can watch that for seconds upon minutes.
  • Options
    oh my goodness...I almost forgot to mention the luge events...please forgive me.
  • Options
    Womens figure skating is the only winter olympic sports that matters to a lot of people who watch the
    games. Eliminate all the rest and how many people would really care? image
  • Options
    Can't wait for Olympic hockey. Pressure will be on Canada BIG TIME. A Canada-Russia final would be epic as well with Crosby-Ovechkin as an underlying story.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be watching the alpine skiing and hockey.

Oh yea, and the womens figure skating (good lookin' women in short skirts image )

Steve
  • Options
    I'll have to admit - The US team winning the Winter Olympics hockey gold in 1980 really was tremendous - I watched it live on TV as of course did tens of millions of others.
  • Options
    Quick, name the top U.S. women figure skater.
  • Options

<< <i>Quick, name the top U.S. women figure skater. >>

Mary Smith
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it. Need something to break up the the monotony (sp?) of the endless hockey & basketball games...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking forward to it. Need something to break up the the monotony (sp?) of the endless hockey & basketball games... >>

Agreed. There is a reason that basketball and hockey are played during the darkest days of the year.
    Mere CANNON FODDER to real sport that gets us through ......

Bring me some speed skating!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I image the Winter Olympics.

Yep, even curling. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redemption time for this hot-dogger:

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to admit - The US team winning the Winter Olympics hockey gold in 1980 really was tremendous - I watched it live on TV as of course did tens of millions of others.

I maybe wrong here, but I thought that this was aired on a tape delay, but being before the internet that most people thought that they were watching it live. I did not watch it because I was only a young child at that time. I was more focused on Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. I did buy my first pack of cards that year.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    As for the Olympics, I always get excited. I will actually watch the luge and bobsledding. I can only watch those sports once every four years.

Brimg on some curling, SWEEP TIL IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    When does the torch start to Vancouver?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    The Olympics are just not as meaningful to me anymore ever since they split the winter and summer olympics into
    an every other year situation rather than every 4 years. It just now seems less significant.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I maybe wrong here, but I thought that this was aired on a tape delay, but being before the internet that most people thought that they were watching it live. >>

Those of us living in border towns were able to watch the game live on the Canadian CBC network.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Words:

Tanith Belbinimage
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    amen, Sanction...is she still skating?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When does the torch start to Vancouver? >>

It's already in Canada. I just saw a news story about Shania Twain carrying it in her hometown of Timmins Ontario yesterday.

Steve
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    with the universal network now being on digital i will get to watch more games!!! yay to the winter olympics!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Quick, name the top U.S. women figure skater. >>

They have names?
  • Options
    What is the event called, when somebody skis a distance then stops and shoots at targets?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the event called, when somebody skis a distance then stops and shoots at targets? >>

Biathalon
  • Options

<< <i>What is the event called, when somebody skis a distance then stops and shoots at targets? >>

In Iowa, we call that deer hunting.
  • Options
    Biathalon between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien who wins?
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I look forward to it. My earliest memories of the Olympics were when Los Angeles hosted it in 1984. It was in my backyard. It was a big deal then and created quite an impression on me as a child.

As for the winter games, I was amazed at East Germany getting the 2nd spot behind the Soviet Union in the total medal count. Such a small country and population doing so well. This happened in 1984 and 1988. My grandparents are from there, so that is why I followed the performance. In 1992, the reunited Germany took the top spot, likely due to the East German athletes witha a sprinkling of a good West German squad. In 1994, the Norwegians dominated, with Germany second. Since that time, Germany has always dominated in total medals. The former East German athletes have been retiring in great numbers, so its nice that the united Germany kept the continuity of success after the transition period.

The merging of East and West Germany in the summer games was not as successful as in the winter Olympics.

I view the Olympics as the epitome of athletic competition. Its a nice goal to aim. It encourages health, team work, work ethic and discipline. Peace triumphing over war (the Greeks stopped their wars just to have these games). These are nice values.
    I enjoying collecting Olympic coins and I am thinking about doing TTM as well.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    i wish during the biathalon they would shoot at other skiiers.
  • Options
    I'll be glad to be able to watch something other than Sportscenter five times a day at work.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As for the Olympics, I always get excited. I will actually watch the luge and bobsledding. I can only watch those sports once every four years.

Brimg on some curling, SWEEP TIL IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

darn straight bring on the curling. i know a few of the women and have curled with or against some of them in the past.

bring home the gold ladies.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The Olympics again? When will they be over? My plan is to watch absolutely none of them.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1994, the Norwegians dominated, with Germany second. Since that time, Germany has always dominated in total medals. >>

Since 1994:

1998 Medals:
    1.Germany 29
    2.Norway 25

2002 Medals:
    1.Germany 36
    2.USA 34

2006 Medals:
    1.Germany 29
    2.USA 25

(source Wikipedia)
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I'll watch a ton of hockey, and then US snowboarders...that's about it.
  • Options
    I believe the U.S. will sweep all the medals.
  • Options
    If they pay me to watch, then i might watch...or just some free beer would be fine.
  • Options
    are they over yet?
    i hear they dont have enough snow in Vancouver these days. LOL

every ten minutes on NBC they are doing some lame ass bio of an olympic "star" yawn.