Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

random darkside pics

(playing with a new toy..)

from josh @ civitas galleries:

also, more of a widget, but my example of this "for type", from sedwick coins:

more to come as I learn about macro, I have to learn how to get the entire coin to focus in the future, this is especially apparent in the cash coin

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>more to come as I learn about macro, I have to learn how to get the entire coin to focus in the future, this is especially apparent in the cash coin >>

Shoot as perfectly perpendicular (90-degrees) to the lens as possible.
    With such as small focal plane, any angle tilt matters.

Oh,,,

NICE COINS
  • Options
    Frank, if you don't already own a copy stand I highly recommend getting one. They're relatively cheap. I have one but I don't use it at the moment because I don't have suitable lights for proper photography (or a suitable camera), so what's the point?

Nice images for being right out of the box, BTW. I wish I had had such a good start with my first attempt at serious photography. If I had I may not have sold the camera and given up in frustration.image
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>more to come as I learn about macro, I have to learn how to get the entire coin to focus in the future, this is especially apparent in the cash coin >>

Shoot as perfectly perpendicular (90-degrees) to the lens as possible.
    With such as small focal plane, any angle tilt matters.

Oh,,,

NICE COINS >>

that's the first thing Im going to try.. I was in a bedroom wrapping christmas presents... and I started playing with the camera... next thing you know the lights are up and Im ad hoc shooting at a weird angle. I was pleased with them last night but I think it was because I was so tired.. the out of focus needs to be addressed and Im 99% sure it's the fact everything was tilted.. thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Frank, if you don't already own a copy stand I highly recommend getting one. They're relatively cheap. I have one but I don't use it at the moment because I don't have suitable lights for proper photography (or a suitable camera), so what's the point?

Nice images for being right out of the box, BTW. I wish I had had such a good start with my first attempt at serious photography. If I had I may not have sold the camera and given up in frustration.image >>

since I dont have a room in the house where I can leave it set up (that the kid wont wreak havoc with it) ... we'll see. Ive heard some copy stands are space-hogs!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    You will have a harder time getting an accurate auto focus through plastic, the depth device will pick up the depth in front of the coin face at the plastic surface , I believe. image

Nice cpinsimage
  • Options
    Frank, my copy stand is a tabletop model that sits on top of a filing cabinet. It was cheap, but it's very sturdy and has held up pretty well. The main upright rod has rusted quite a bit as I left it in an unheated/cooled house for a couple of years. I think I paid around $60 shipped for it off of ebay. When not in use it could easily be broken down and stored in a drawer - but I don't bother as I have no reason to be concerned about it.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    Oh, and I use Pledge Furniture Polish on the slabs to hide the scratches before I shoot (and keep the focus from settling on the slab)

I also hear WD-40 works too.....
  • Options
    Autocontrast:

• Options
    Speaking of copy stands, I came across this at B&H
    and self-Santa'd for one a few weeks ago. It works fine with my Olympus Camedia D-545, as you can see:

Then, for Christmas, my dear wife gave me Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0, and the book on it (for Dummies, no less), so now
    I can practice doing some of the great stuff I see in these forums.

Happy Holidaze to all!

Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.