Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this a proof? (1979 Malta One Pound)

I bought this coin as UNC but upon receiving it in hand it looks pretty proof like to me. This is the first one of this type of coin I've seen in person, so for all I know the entire issue could be proof like. KM#51 Krause lists an UNC mintage of just shy of 50k and 7871 proofs. There isn't a significant difference in value, but it would be cool from a mintage standpoint (to me) if this was a proof. What do you think?

Obverse at an angle for detail:

Straight on for surfaces:

Reverse at an angle:

Straight on:

The rims are square and sharp. The reeding is sharp. The surfaces are completely brilliant. It looks just like a run of the mill Canadian proof like coin from the 80s.
"YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents

Comments

• newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that's a proof. I have one in the original unopened packaging and it looks the same.
  • Cool. Thanks for the reply. The pic in the Krause book seems to be an UNC as the surfaces look more matte like, but you just can't really tell anything from those pics.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I woulda said UNC based on the photos, but it's tough.. whitebalance, TRM!!!! image
  • My camera did its best. Those pics are actually very accurate. My living room is super blue.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    trippy!

• << <i>I woulda said UNC based on the photos, but it's tough.. whitebalance, TRM!!!! image >>

I agree. I was going back and forth between unc. and proof. Pics 1 and 3 appear unc. while 2 and 4 say proof.
    imageimageimage
  • Let me see if I can manage a better image. I'm using a sony DSC-T70 cybershot. Certainly not intended for taking coin pictures, but it's almost serviceable for the purpose.