Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

No longer available :)

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    Damn Dave that is beautiful coin. Would be an amazing addition to almost every copper collection....

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Yeah but if I buy it the guarantee is gone when I sell it.
  • Options
    Nice one in 66R retail for about $3000 or so now. Without a guarantee for color, it still has value. Make an offer with pcgs's new policy in effect. That's what I'd do. Cruel?
    Not really. One needs to protect oneself from a purchase not readily saleable except at bargain basement prices.

Ira
    dealer/collector
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    I may just hold it if no interest.

PCGS may be more willing to give it the 67 grade it deserves no since their a$$ wont be on the line. Even if 67's were to drop by 50%, its still a $20k coin. Thats a lot of potential for someone with some gonads.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I may just hold it if no interest.

PCGS may be more willing to give it the 67 grade it deserves no since their a$$ wont be on the line. Even if 67's were to drop by 50%, its still a $20k coin. Thats a lot of potential for someone with some gonads. >>

Presumably PCGS will still guarantee the grades of the coins (just not the color), so they would still have something on the line. That is, until they decide to change their guarantee the next time.
  • Options
    I think a lot of these RD lincolns will now be priced closer to the RB for a given date which is about 1/3 the price for this particular coin. Pretty harsh but I feel that is what will happen. Could be wrong though. Good luck with it though.
  • Options

<< <i>I think a lot of these RD lincolns will now be priced closer to the RB for a given date which is about 1/3 the price for this particular coin. Pretty harsh but I feel that is what will happen. Could be wrong though. Good luck with it though. >>

I have to say, if it were my coin listed for sale and you made those comments, I wouldn't feel that you were sincere in wishing me good luck. Your first sentence in your above post seems unnecessary and inappropriate in this (coin for sale) thread. There are plenty of other threads which have invited comments and predictions regarding the prices of "RD" copper.image
  • Options

<< <i>I think a lot of these RD lincolns will now be priced closer to the RB for a given date which is about 1/3 the price for this particular coin. Pretty harsh but I feel that is what will happen. Could be wrong though. Good luck with it though. >>

We'll ok then. If Ira says a 66RD is worth 3k and you say they are worth 1/3rd that, then I will buy any and all 66 RDs for $1000, right here right now. I will buy them all, every last one of them.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will buy them all, every last one of them. >>

Sign me up for the leftovers! image
  • Options

<< <i>

I have to say, if it were my coin listed for sale and you made those comments, I wouldn't feel that you were sincere in wishing me good luck. Your first sentence in your above post seems unnecessary and inappropriate in this (coin for sale) thread. There are plenty of other threads which have invited comments and predictions regarding the prices of "RD" copper.image >>

Mark:
    Lately I have read your posts and noticed a slight disdain in what you are saying to others. Are you at a disadvantage with life? Why are you on the defense in a situation in which a poster is making a comment regarding a particular item?
    I tend to agree with the poster, after 1/1/10- things will change dramatically, and many will suffer the consequence of this. will PCGS prevail in it overall- surly you have to understand the concern that many have with regards to grade as well as designation, many rely on the 'professionals' to get it right the first time- that is what they are paid to do.

If you were selling this coin touting it as a 67 and in RD, and it was not all there for the grade- would you turn down the 66 price offer knowing that PCGS is not standing behind its guarantee any longer?

Dude- you really need to lighten up just a hair, even I, the mean old fart know when to view criticism versus sarcasm.

Sincerely,
    THE DAWG....

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have to say, if it were my coin listed for sale and you made those comments, I wouldn't feel that you were sincere in wishing me good luck. Your first sentence in your above post seems unnecessary and inappropriate in this (coin for sale) thread. There are plenty of other threads which have invited comments and predictions regarding the prices of "RD" copper.image >>

Mark:
    Lately I have read your posts and noticed a slight disdain in what you are saying to others. Are you at a disadvantage with life? Why are you on the defense in a situation in which a poster is making a comment regarding a particular item?
    I tend to agree with the poster, after 1/1/10- things will change dramatically, and many will suffer the consequence of this. will PCGS prevail in it overall- surly you have to understand the concern that many have with regards to grade as well as designation, many rely on the 'professionals' to get it right the first time- that is what they are paid to do.

If you were selling this coin touting it as a 67 and in RD, and it was not all there for the grade- would you turn down the 66 price offer knowing that PCGS is not standing behind its guarantee any longer?

Dude- you really need to lighten up just a hair, even I, the mean old fart know when to view criticism versus sarcasm.

Sincerely,
    THE DAWG.... >>

Perhaps you never saw this posted by a forum moderator, or if you did, don't care:

<<Commentary In Sellers Threads

Pretty simple: Don't.

People are free to ask what they want, if it's too high, it won't sell. Pretty dynamic concept. So please keep any snide or insulting remarks to yourselves.

Thank you >>

I can only imagine how you'd react if you posted the coin for sale and someone else wrote:

<<<< I think a lot of these RD lincolns will now be priced closer to the RB for a given date which is about 1/3 the price for this particular coin. Pretty harsh but I feel that is what will happen. Could be wrong though. Good luck with it though. >>

• Options
    Since this thread has already been hijacked, I'll keep it going. image

Im not asking $20k for this coin. A premium for a 66, you better damn well bet. Buy it and compare to others, you'll be amazed. Compare it to a 67 and you say, "Damn I got a good buy".

My offer still stands to buy ALL 1909-S PCGS 66RD for $1000.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Im not asking $20k for this coin. A premium for a 66, you better damn well bet. Buy it and compare to others, you'll be amazed. Compare it to a 67 and you say, "Damn I got a good buy".

>>

Dave,

Are you saying something like "buy the coin, not the holder?" image

(I've bought from Dave more than a few times and have never been disappointed.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    (I've bought from Dave more than a few times and have never been disappointed. >>

Same goes for me.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

It will be going to Mgoodm3 in a few weeks for a photo record. Then it goes back in the SDB for a few years, probably to re-emerge at a much higher price.

Also sending him a 1912 MPL. You've seen my crappy pics of it before, but I know Mark will show it for what it really is. You have been warned. LOL

• Options
    DAve,

What is asking price on this one? It is a badass coin?

• Options
    It must be remembered that as a coin dealer, I must buy under retail so that I can make a modest margin when I resell. That reselling has a small time horizon. I am not into becoming a curator of coin museum. There are several (maybe many) on thee forums that have made subtantial market upgrades on Lincoln cents. I as a dealer, NEVER tell a buyer that a coin is a lock for a higher grade. I would be a fool for saying so, although sellers often say so. One simply doesn't know until resubmitting.

As far as that 1909-S Lincoln, it looks like a nice coin. The nicest two I have ever soldweede to two top Registry participants. Jack Lee had purchased one in 67Rd for over $100,000 and bought his 66Rd. This was about three years ago at close to the market peak. I paid $3200 and several months later it sold for $3200 retail. The loss of $100 is no big deal unless losses were regular and commonplace.

I believe most Lincoln buyers are not fully aware of this sea change in PCGS's grading changes yet. But they will be, and I believe it will have a subtantial negative impact on future prices realized.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ira Stein
    dealer/collector
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    Ira,

Hope you are doing ok.

I think some who paid MOON money for a single top-pop will probably be very disappointed in the future. But I dont think this will have anything to do PCGS's guarantee. Big money is/was paid by people with big egos. Ego ALWAYS gets in the way of sound investing. ALWAYS. It has nothing to do with PCGS other than they created a foundation for egos to compete against each other.

FWIW---My coin has been seen by a top Lincoln collector and compared to another 09-s that he was trying for a 67. My coin was nicer. I can afford to be patient. But for a risk of about $1500, the reward could be $20-40,000. Thats a risk that I will assume ANYDAY. Unfortunately many others will not.

This coin will be professionally photographed, and put in storage. I am not concerned about a few thousand dollar investment.