Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What was the first machine struck African coin?

Anyone know? I don't!

Another, what is the earliest sub-Saharan African coin of the modern era?

Of course there are the Islamic coinages in north Africa, but what about the southern region? The Portuguese had coins for Angola in the late 1600s. Aside from that??

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, the Portuguese were the first, both in issuing coins in general (1693) and in striking machine-struck coinage (1752). They're listed under "Angola" in the Krauses, though they were used in all the Portuguese African colonies. None of the other colonial powers struck coins for local use until the mid to late 1700's.

Prior to the arrival of the Europeans, the "Islamic sphere" also included the east coast of Africa, from Somalia right down to Mozambique; local sultans and princes in these areas occasionally issued their own coinage. The Sultans of Kilwa, in what is now Tanzania, appear to have been the most powerful, and most prolific coin issuers, from the eleventh to the sixteenth centuries.

There are, of course, the "primitive currencies" of the West African coast, such as manilla rings, kissi pennies and katanga crosses. While these were metallic objects made specifically for use as money, they're not small and round, and definitely don't fit in a 2x2; they also weren't issued by a governmental authority, so they're not listed in the Krauses.

The only sub-Saharan African nation with a pre-colonial coinage tradition is Ethiopia. Ancient Ethiopia, usually known as the Axumite Empire, struck coins from about 100 to 700 AD. With the rise of Islam in the area, Axumite power waned and Ethiopian coinage ceased until 1892.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I myself collect some of the "primitive" monies from Africa:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21