Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees get Javier Vazquez

Well the rich get richer. Yankees trade Melky to the Braves for Javier Vazquez. Vazquez should do a good job as the #4 man in the Yankees rotation. Not sure if this means the Yankees will want Johnny Damon?

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please clarify the rich get richer? This was a trade. Not a free agent signing. The Yanks gave up some pretty highly regarded prospects to boot. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If the Met front office had a clue they too could get 'richer'

instead they are counting on Maine and Perez to be #3 and #4.

Meanwhile a guy like Marquis signs with the Nationals cuz the Mets are more of a laughingstock

then even the lowly Nats. The guy is from around here to boot.

Stevek us right about one thing, the Mets stink.

Sincerely,

Met's fan since '62
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seemed to me, a Red Sox fan, that Melky was pretty good at coming through in big situations. I'm glad he's gone. I wonder if Vazquez will let up a bunch of homers in Yankee Stadium...or I should say "I hope" image
  • Options
    Think the Braves did alright, got some good prospects and 2 years of Cabrera, and hopefully some offense, for a soft pitcher, Ozzie Guillens word, in last year of contract. Maybe he has matured, should be more comfortable on back end of rotation, still may be no more than one year rental. Would much rather have seen Lowe go in deal.
  • Options
    The trade baffles me. Yes Vasquez is an innings machine, but he was with the Yankees once. Why bring him back? He's a little too pricey for a fourth starter. I guess the Vazquez trade guarantees that Hughes and Chamberlain are both in the bullpen. As for the outfield, every year the Yankees have lost an outfielder or two to injury. Right now the Yankees have Granderson, Gardner and Swisher in the outfield. Who do they have as the fourth and fifth outfielders? (seriously, I don't know...) Makes me think that another outfielder is on their way to the Bronx, and it won't be Damon coming back.
  • Options
    Vazquez is a great NL pitcher, but his ERA next season will be about 4.50 and he does have a lot of innings on that arm.
  • Options
    Not many teams can afford that in a number 4 starter.
  • Options

<< <i>If the Met front office had a clue they too could get 'richer'

instead they are counting on Maine and Perez to be #3 and #4.

Meanwhile a guy like Marquis signs with the Nationals cuz the Mets are more of a laughingstock

then even the lowly Nats. The guy is from around here to boot.

Stevek us right about one thing, the Mets stink.

Sincerely,

Met's fan since '62 >>

I agree with you about the Mets. Have been a fan since '73, and can't figure out why they aren't trying to get pitching help. Of course with Marquis off the board, the best pitcher may be Pineiro or Sheets. The Mets should really think about Ben Sheets, if he's healthy, he can be a solid #2 starter. Marquis was practially begging the Mets to sign him.
  • Options

<< <i>Please clarify the rich get richer? This was a trade. Not a free agent signing. The Yanks gave up some pretty highly regarded prospects to boot. image >>

When I say the rich get richer, I mean the Yankees got better. The Yankees rotation of C.C.,Burnett,Petite,vazquez, and either Hughes or Joba is one of the best in baseball. Vazquez was 2nd in the decade in strikeouts and gets double digits in wins every year. Its also come out recently that the year he was on the Yankees he pitched hurt in the 2nd half.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed on ebay a seller by the name of grote15 offering a ton of Mets memorabilia for a "buy it now" of $1 with free shipping.
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Javier Vazquez will have 3,000 strikeouts within the next five years and it will have been the quietest and most unnoticed approach to that stat in history. He's a very undervalued player - good trade... I think.

- Joe
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>As for the outfield, every year the Yankees have lost an outfielder or two to injury. Right now the Yankees have Granderson, Gardner and Swisher in the outfield. Who do they have as the fourth and fifth outfielders? (seriously, I don't know...) Makes me think that another outfielder is on their way to the Bronx, and it won't be Damon coming back. >>

According to the Yankees.com depth chart, they don't have a 4th and 5th outfielder. But an outfielder named Jamie Hoffman is on their 40-man roster at the moment.

Seems to me like they still need a guy like Damon.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As for the outfield, every year the Yankees have lost an outfielder or two to injury. Right now the Yankees have Granderson, Gardner and Swisher in the outfield. Who do they have as the fourth and fifth outfielders? (seriously, I don't know...) Makes me think that another outfielder is on their way to the Bronx, and it won't be Damon coming back. >>

According to the Yankees.com depth chart, they don't have a 4th and 5th outfielder. But an outfielder named Jamie Hoffman is on their 40-man roster at the moment.

Seems to me like they still need a guy like Damon. >>

Problem with Damon is he has a delusional agent that thinks he is still worth $12 million per year.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Problem with Damon is he has a delusional agent that thinks he is still worth $12 million per year. >>

That's one problem with him. The other is that he's still really low on the transplant list for a better arm.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    the yankees are opening a spot for Grady Seizmore when he becomes a free agent....you know the Indians won't sign him.....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed on ebay a seller by the name of grote15 offering a ton of Mets memorabilia for a "buy it now" of $1 with free shipping.

I haven't gotten any purchases yet, so I went ahead and added the "best offer" feature..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I just noticed on ebay a seller by the name of grote15 offering a ton of Mets memorabilia for a "buy it now" of $1 with free shipping.

I haven't gotten any purchases yet, so I went ahead and added the "best offer" feature.. >>

I'll offer my Eagles "Super Bowl Champions" memorabilia.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Please clarify the rich get richer? This was a trade. Not a free agent signing.

The Yankees are taking on all of Vasquez's $11.5M contract while giving up 3 players that will make less than $2M combined this year so it really doesn't matter that it was a trade and not a FA signing. If the contracts were a wash that's a different story.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please clarify the rich get richer? This was a trade. Not a free agent signing.

The Yankees are taking on all of Vasquez's $11.5M contract while giving up 3 players that will make less than $2M combined this year so it really doesn't matter that it was a trade and not a FA signing. If the contracts were a wash that's a different story. >>

so it seems the rich got less rich with this deal