Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA cards sold, not removed from set, anyone else have this problem?

I recently bought 6 PSA graded cards from a large auction house, through collectors corner, but couldn't add any of them to my set because the seller didn't verify the cards were clear of other registrys. This is a pain.I believe any issues should have been resolved before they were sold. Anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Many times.

Although troubling, give the clowns a day or two. PSA will nuke the previous owners and you will be able to add away.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Not uncommon.

If the seller is the one that has them in a Registry, then they should clear them. But if they are in someone else's Resgistry, expecting someone else to confirm that they are "cleared" is probably asking too much. Oft times, I've purchased a card and have been unable to add it to my Registry because someone other than the seller has either "stolen" the cert # or had it and sold it and never removed it.

If they aren't cleared after sending the email request, then contact BJ or someone else at PSA and they'll talk you through clearing the certs.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my biggest pet peeves in the hobby. I think it's incredibly rude for people not to remove cards from their sets when they are sold.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Although troubling, give the clowns a day or two. PSA will nuke the previous owners and you will be able to add away. >>

You have to send them front and back scans to establish proof of ownership. They almost always delete the cards from the previous sets the same day.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Happens to me all the time, and like the others have said drives me NUTS!
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I'm in that situation right now, and I'm actually scanning as I type this. On top of not deleting the cards from his registry set, the guy actually was "out of the country" all during the auction, the payment and shipping phase and for several days thereafter. Nothing but chaos - I had to initiate everything including correcting shipping, etc.

Who the hell sets up 20-30 auctions and then goes on a lonnnng trip??

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    When I sell or trade a card to someone I know or on Ebay, I leave it in my registry until I hear from the person who received it, or get an attempt to add it if I sold it on ebay.

It may be a weird way of thinking, but its psuedo insurance to me. If the card gets lost in transit, or if the buyer claims they did not receive it, then attempt to add it, Ive always beleived PSA would back me by telling me who attempted to add my card if i could prove to them it was stolen.

I always remove it after the first attempt to add it , or when someone tells me they receive it.

Now before someone gets their panties in a ruffle, I have probably sold about 50 cards in my 10 years on ebay. The people I know who i sell a card to, i tell them to tell me when they get it so i can delete the cert.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I was just about to jump too.....

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sure is a pain. My last problem card was a 1972 Johnny Briggs psa8, now I am sure this is a valuable $2.50 card but just release it, guess they were mad they could not even get grading fee back, dont recall the last $2 dollar special.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your responses. I guess its nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. Also the seller already replied and is working on fixing the problem.
    I wonder if it would be possible for PSA to add a line to their CERT. VERIFICATION tool which either comes up Unregistered or Registered to a set. Just something to think about for the future.
  • Options
    OK, where is this Cert Verification tool you speak of?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>OK, where is this Cert Verification tool you speak of? >>

and the dumbass post of the year award goes to.... Me!!!!
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    NO bad posts just bad answers image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the frustration but...as a seller I will on occassion not remove the cert number on purpose. I do this when a less than stellar feedback ebayer has bought one of my cards. If they try to add it to their set then I know they received the card and can't come up with some BS chargeback. Anyone else use this approach before??

Jeff
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many, many times. Just inform PSA and in a few days you should be ok to add it.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Cosetta rides to the rescue again - same day service!!
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    Happens off and on, but mostly full bore ON with 64 baseball. Never had it this bad before. Someone must have sold off the set, and didn't delete the set from the registry. Getting tired of sending in the scans. The girls fix it quick, but it's getting old.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>All PSA would need to do is restrict the use of the Registry, if people refuse to delete cards. They are listing them for financial reasons! I would bet those people would comply and this issues goes away almost entirely. >>

I suspect not. I'm guessing that an awful lot of the "serial forgettors" are actually abandoning the registry and selling off their sets.

It's mildly annoying, but it's so easy to send the mail to Cosetta that I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I had an odd thing happen recently. PSA (Cosetta) contacted me asking for front/back scans of my PSA 9 1960 Yaz RC. Seems someone else was trying to add it to their registry set and obviously couldn't. I sent the scans in and the repsonse was that both cards had the same certification number!!

Now is it just me, or does that sound fishy? I'm not totally familiar with how PSA assigns their certification #ers but it does seem to be fairly straightforward.

First off it seems careless to have duplicate certification numbers -- poor quality control at the very least.
    Second, what are the odds of the duplicate certification numbers happening to the same card?
    Thirdly, what are the odds that two 1960 Topps Yaz RC's, both PSA 9, would end up with the same #'s.

I live in Australia so the shipping is a major pain in the butt. I'll be at the National and will bring the card then but does anyone have any thoughts/comments on this? I would love some feedback.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    MOSH was the all time king/leader of never-ever and i mean never ever removing cards. They would often sell them third party and the seller would shrug their shoulder washing their hands of the deal. I would check the registry and see right there in the Museums registry.
  • Options

<< <i>I had an odd thing happen recently. PSA (Cosetta) contacted me asking for front/back scans of my PSA 9 1960 Yaz RC. Seems someone else was trying to add it to their registry set and obviously couldn't. I sent the scans in and the repsonse was that both cards had the same certification number!! Now is it just me, or does that sound fishy? I'm not totally familiar with how PSA assigns their certification #ers but it does seem to be fairly straightforward. First off it seems careless to have duplicate certification numbers -- poor quality control at the very least. Second, what are the odds of the duplicate certification numbers happening to the same card? Thirdly, what are the odds that two 1960 Topps Yaz RC's, both PSA 9, would end up with the same #'s. I live in Australia so the shipping is a major pain in the butt. I'll be at the National and will bring the card then but does anyone have any thoughts/comments on this? I would love some feedback. Has this happened to anyone else? >>

This happened to me before too. I never did send in scans of the card. And PSA never followed up. I still have the card in my collection, still on the registry, so either there was a mistake in the email being sent to me, or PSA fixed the problem on their end or with the other card owner.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    This is not at all uncommon and I have never had a problem where I had to email PSA with pics.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>I had an odd thing happen recently. PSA (Cosetta) contacted me asking for front/back scans of my PSA 9 1960 Yaz RC. Seems someone else was trying to add it to their registry set and obviously couldn't. I sent the scans in and the repsonse was that both cards had the same certification number!! >>

Vince, this has happened before, and it always seems to involve high $ cards. I know it happened with a PSA 9 '57 Kaline a few years back. There have definitely been other duplicate cert numbers for the same card/grade, I just don't remember what they were. I think one might have been a PSA 9 Rose rookie. Anyway, PSA has always responded that it was a mechanical error, which is impossible. So yes, something very fishy is going on. If I were you I'd check your Yaz 10 VERY carefully to make sure it's A-Real and B-Unaltered. Check the case very carefully as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I had an odd thing happen recently. PSA (Cosetta) contacted me asking for front/back scans of my PSA 9 1960 Yaz RC. Seems someone else was trying to add it to their registry set and obviously couldn't. I sent the scans in and the repsonse was that both cards had the same certification number!! >>

Vince, this has happened before, and it always seems to involve high $ cards. I know it happened with a PSA 9 '57 Kaline a few years back. There have definitely been other duplicate cert numbers for the same card/grade, I just don't remember what they were. I think one might have been a PSA 9 Rose rookie. Anyway, PSA has always responded that it was a mechanical error, which is impossible. So yes, something very fishy is going on. If I were you I'd check your Yaz 10 VERY carefully to make sure it's A-Real and B-Unaltered. Check the case very carefully as well. >>

I'd more than willing to bet that one of the two is a fake. The most likely cause, IMO, of the same high dollar card existing in two holders with the same number & grade is that someone used a scan of the real one to generate a fake flip that would pass the cert lookup test.

The "mechanical error" scenario sounds like when the airline tells you your flight is delayed waiting on a minor part. Like you said, think of the odds that a mechanical error during the grading and slabbing process could generate the same number on the same card. Inconceivable!!

EDIT: This is based on my reading of the OP, where it doesn't seem to have anything to do with a failure to remove a card from the registry. This is another person trying to add a card (that they most likely just bought) that you still possess.

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    If you can post front and back scans here, Vince, that would be helpful.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I had this happen to me as well. I actually had to send the card to PSA, included it in a shipment. About a month later, got the card back. Cert# never changed, was in the same holder with semi-older style flip. Never heard another word about it.

The Duplicate cert # was the EXACT same card as well. Just as Vince described.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It's much more likely that one of the cards is a Craigslist type of card. All a scammer needs is a real cert and he can make ten Yaz cards all with the same cert. The registry is a bad thing for scammers because there's a chance their buyer will try to register the card. If multiples pop up and PSA is able to examine both slabs then the people selling the bad cards might be identified.
  • Options
    Only problem is, this has been going on for years, well before craigslist was around. And in every story I've heard, neither buy knew they had been duped. So we're talking about really, really good fakes.
  • Options
    ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I Won 39 1961 Fleer Basketball Cards From Steve Novella On A Set Break Up All PSA (8) And 21 Are Held By Another User.What A Pain To Send Scans Out Of Order? Any Help? Is This A MOSH Thing Or Something Else? ZBob
  • Options
    What do you guys think about hiding your cert numbers on your ebay listings?

I know myself I would sometimes list cards that I won before I get them. After my last round of slow shipping and cracked cases...I think I'll stop doing that and list the card when it's in my hand.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    I Think You Are On The Wrong Forum Waxpack. You Are Right Only List With Cards At Hand.That Is Given.Trade On ZBob
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Hiding certs in your listings will cause buyers to be skeptical of your listings. Listing cards that aren't yet in your possession requires stealing the previous seller's picture which will also cause concern when noticed.
  • Options
    I Would Like To Thank Steve Novella For His Help! Thank You For Your Help Steve To Allow Me To Add Cards To My Set That Were Held By Another Collection Player.You Made It Look So Easy.It Would Have Took Me Way To Much Time And You Did It Way Fast.AAA+++.I Still Have Cards That I Have To Add But Stil Held And Have Been Trying For Over A Year.I Do Know That These Cards Came Out Of A Retired Set.Maybe Time For A Petition To Delete All Retired Sets And Cards To Stop This Problem.I Think The Cards Are Still Out There In Other Sets.Could Free Up Some Time For PSA. PSA Retired Sets Out Of Regular Sets IMO