Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vintage Cards question .... thoughts please!

Back in July of this year, a dear old friend of mine, Dom, passed away. His lovely wife, Patty, dropped off a few signed jerseys to me that she said Dom wanted me to have.

This afternoon, Patty called me and said that she found a box of cards in the basement, and asked if I'd check them out for her. She said that if they were worth anything of great value, she was going to give them to her son for Christmas. Of course, I said I was happy to oblige.

Well, the box, which I was expecting to be the size of a shoe box, turned out to be a 4' x 6' wooden chest. It was literally filled with albums and smaller boxes of nothing but vintage baseball cards. From what I could see, there was everything from T-206s to '33 Goudeys to '52 Topps (no Mantles ... but I knew that going in, because I traded for his only one a few years back).

I was in awe, and thought to myself ... I wonder how much ungraded vintage is still out there? This is only one guy, and there must be a couple of thousand cards at least in those binders/boxes. What really set me back, was the fact that he always said he had a few cards in the basement, but never gave me the impression that a few meant a "hoard".

Makes me wonder just how much raw vintage gets graded every year? .... and will the supply ever run out? Probably too tough to answer, but your thoughts are welcome!

PoppaJ

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Just look at the Old Judge finds that Dave Levin keeps coming up with, the Trucker Boy find, the Tango Eggs that sat undiscovered for 80 years. The stuff is out there, and I think there are a lot of old collections like your friends just sitting in a closet.
    Hope his wife is holding up ok.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Just look at the Old Judge finds that Dave Levin keeps coming up with, the Trucker Boy find, the Tango Eggs that sat undiscovered for 80 years. The stuff is out there, and I think there are a lot of old collections like your friends just sitting in a closet.
    Hope his wife is holding up ok. >>

///////////////////////////

Hi Griff,

Patty seems to be doing fine, but the holidays are taking their tolls being this is her first Christmas without Dom.

thanks for asking,
    PoppaJ
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often think when Im driving through town checking out alot of old houses if there are any unsearched attics or basements of senior citizens, im sure there are some hoards of very old cards that just havnt been found by someone.

Just last week at the post office the postman who I see nearly every week (who knows I ship out cards all the time) asked me if I was interested in looking at a large box of 1950's & 1960's Baseball cards he found at his deceased brothers house and let him know the value of them, naturally I said yes so we met up. He had about 300+ cards- a mix of mostly 1958-62 cards that were beat up really bad, funny thing no Willie Mays or Aarons, Mantles ect.. although a few Koufax & Gibson and some minor stars which led me to believe they were cherry picked at some time. The stuff is out there however finding nice condition stuff is another thing in my opinion.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Poppa ... I remember when you posted about the death of your buddy.

FIRST ... let Patty know that someone you never met is keeping her and her family in his prayers.

SECOND ... I think there are still many cards out there that are worth a LOT of money. HOWEVER,
    I think the majority of them will never be seen by the collectors.

THIRD ... I assume you will be going thru the cards and getting the good ones graded for her.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Poppa ... I remember when you posted about the death of your buddy.

FIRST ... let Patty know that someone you never met is keeping her and her family in his prayers.

SECOND ... I think there are still many cards out there that are worth a LOT of money. HOWEVER,
    I think the majority of them will never be seen by the collectors.

THIRD ... I assume you will be going thru the cards and getting the good ones graded for her.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! >>

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Hi Doug,

I'll be sure to pass along your message of prayers to Patty. She is a very religious woman and I know she'll be touched by your thoughtfulness.

I won't see her again until after the holidays. She's taking the cards to her son who lives out of town. I'm not really sure of any intentions of having the cards graded at this point.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    PoppaJ
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    You can just look at my M116 find a few years back that ended up selling for around $175K... There's plenty of stuff out there and some of it is unbelievably pristine!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SECOND ... I think there are still many cards out there that are worth a LOT of money. HOWEVER, I think the majority of them will never be seen by the collectors. >>

Why do you think that, Doug?

Nick