Home Precious Metals
Options

Picked up some Brittanias and an old Engelhard bar today

I was at the local B&M today picking up 1846-0 and 1880-0 Eagles in some PCGS XF-40 OGH's when I spotted a stack of Brittania's in the display case. I asked to see them since I didn't have any so I asked how much and the owner said he needed $2.50 over spot which was $19.52 a coin. So I bought 18 out of 24 coins as the other 6 had some toning spots on them, so I got the following years 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004 so 3-4 of every year.
I also bought an old poured 5 oz. Engelhard bar serial # 55872 which differes from my other poured 5 oz. bars as the top says 5 T.OZ with a smaller Engelhard in the middle and 999+ FINE SILVER underneath with serial number on the bottom for $1 over spot. This bar also is smaller in size than my other poured 5 oz Engelhards but slightly thicker.
Also bought 3 more 1 oz. Jelenko Dental Health Products silver bars for $1 over spot and a complete set of Engelhard prospectors 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 oz. rounds for $1 over spot.
One other item I purchased was a square shaped 1 oz. bar which read Banco Minero Del Peru on the left side inside a circle with Plata Pura 999.0 1 Onza Troy on the right side serial number NoA 24532 on the bottom.
Also picked through some Walkers in the 90% Silver bin and bought 10 of them 1918-S, 1920-D, 1923-S, 1927-S, 1928-S, 1929-D, 1933-S all VG, 1935-D, 1937-D in VF and a nice XF 1946-D for 12 times face. When all was said and done a good day at the B&M.image

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i> When all was said and done a good day at the B&M.image >>

I'll say! Congrats!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Darn, I would have been so happy with the 46-O I would have never seen the Brittanias. Probably would have spotted the Walkers though and snagged them up too. A very good day indeed, good on 'ya!
  • Options
    nice price on the Brittanias.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options

<< <i>Darn, I would have been so happy with the 46-O I would have never seen the Brittanias. Probably would have spotted the Walkers though and snagged them up too. A very good day indeed, good on 'ya! >>

Yes the 1846-0 is a nice original crusty coin, it has AU detail with flashes of prooflike luster but also a fair amount of bagmarks on the surfaces. My best guess is it has a 50% chance of getting into an AU-50 holder and a 50% chance of getting into an XF-45 holder as there is way to much detail to be graded XF-40 if re-submitted. the 1880-0 is a 45 at best as it simply does not have AU details but both coins are crusty original coins which I love.
    I really like the Brittania design, very pretty coins indeed.
  • Options
    Does anyone here know the mintages on the Brittania's, the dealer said that many of them have mintages below 100,000.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone here know the mintages on the Brittania's, the dealer said that many of them have mintages below 100,000. >>

This old thread may help:

Britannia Mintage

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    You did really well on the price... the cheapest ones APMEX sells are $34.99 Link. One of the collectors on the Foreign coins forum is getting together a group of people to buy some of the new 2010s in the range of $30/$35 each... which is still cheaper than the direct price from the mint. Link. I don't know why they're so expensive, but they are.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, great price on the Britannias'. I've bought a few from APMEX over the years but stopped because of the high prices. Very pretty coins.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, great price on the Britannias'. I've bought a few from APMEX over the years but stopped because of the high prices. Very pretty coins. >>

They really blow away Philharmonics, Panda's, Maples and even Eagles which I considered the nicest looking bullion coins but now I'm hooked on Brittania's. It took seeing them in person to truly appreciate them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone here know the mintages on the Brittania's, the dealer said that many of them have mintages below 100,000. >>

This old thread may help:

Britannia Mintage

HH >>

Looks like I should pick up any 2002's they might have left as there were only 48,000 made that year.
  • Options
    They're neat. Slightly larger size than most other 1 oz. coins because these are .958 fine.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>They're neat. Slightly larger size than most other 1 oz. coins because these are .958 fine. >>

Yeah I noticed how big they were in the flips they could barely fit in them, didn't realize they are .958 fine Silver kind of an odd putiry but what the heck I'll continue buying if they get some more problem free ones in as I need several more years for a set.
    I would imagine the proofs are priced really high with such small mintages.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I wasn't with you. If I ever buy a Britannia, I'm sure that I won't be able to stop. Another full-blown collecting obsession is not what I need right now........image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It's interesting, my 2009's don't look quite as "silvery" as other bullion coins. Might be the alloy they use.
  • Options

<< <i>It's interesting, my 2009's don't look quite as "silvery" as other bullion coins. Might be the alloy they use. >>

The 2003's with a closeup of Brittania's face have a bright proof look that doesn't really look like Silver compared to the other dates.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad that I wasn't with you. If I ever buy a Britannia, I'm sure that I won't be able to stop. Another full-blown collecting obsession is not what I need right now........image >>

I'm sure you will have to start with these at some point. I suppose I could mail you a couple of them for my cost but then postage would eat up any savings you would have.