Home PSA Set Registry Forum

What would you do if so got so lucky.....

OK, here's my situation:

I just popped 2 Gem 10's on a raw submission. One is a "1 of 2", and the other is a "1 of 7". They would certainly fit nicely into PSA 8(ish) 1970 Topps BB set I'm building, but they might also go a long way toward funding my purchases. I'm fairly sure what I'll do, but I'd love to hear what others have done when faced with such an opportunity/dilemma.

Thanks...
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    No doubt I would trade them to the #1 guy on the registry and ask him for the PSA 8's that you need for your set that you lack. Definately sell them.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    it's really hard to say, because in the case of a modern set, you would have to sell them because the value can only go down as more and more 10s pop. in the case of a 1970 set, it's highly unlikely another 10 would pop up any time soon, so the value of those will remain high, and slowly climb over time.

If it were me, I would sell them (with a high starting bid or reserve), and complete your set.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Sell !

Many Many Raw cards of the 1970s are out there in collections, sets, and unopened..... there are alot of collector who will NEVER grade a common players card no matter how sharp it is.

pop reports of Topps 1960-80s commons are misleading.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    They're not misleading if you look at the percentages, but I definitely get your point. I know a lot of people who won't submit a card no matter what unless it's a key card. A simple matter of economics. Why send off a common that only fetches $5 as a 7? Unless your a registry set nut like us.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I would think very carefully about it ... for one or two seconds ... and then SELL!!!!!!

In the past I have had some late 60s/early 70s in PSA "9" that were either 1/1, 1/2 or 1/3. I emailed the top Registry Set owners who could use it and received some nice $$. Do that and then buy a whole lot of "8s" that you need for your set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• I agree with everyone else, sell, sell, sell.

If you are doing a set in psa 8 how many cards do you think those 10's could buy you?
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    sell em, if there's decent competition on the set list a high bin with bo option on feebay...
  • Silly question, if you collect rubys, would you buy diamonds?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Sell. Frank is spot on.
    Frisch could cherry pick one iota of his warehouse and the market would tank.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Sell. I sold two PSA 9 commons from the mid-sixties for $1750 total (one was a 1 of 1). I never regretted it for a minute, as that money bought a lot of cards I needed for my sets. I'm planning on selling my PSA 9 Palmer rookie to help finance a 59 Mantle in 8.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you plan on trying to compete to be # 1 on that set, I would sell.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Thanks everyone for validating what I had planned to do. A set at 30% with a couple of 10's in it just really doesn't make as much sense as a much more complete set of 8's & 9's, does it?.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Sell unless these are cards that are favorites of the set for you. I'm tired of hearing about the cards that Fritsch is hoarding...where's the proof?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • You could sell both 10's and pick up the same 2 cards in 9's and still have plenty left over.
    I keep hoping I'll come across this situation. So far no luck getting any 10's though.

• KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    What are your 2 10's? You may even be able to work out a deal with someone on the board.

<< <i>What are your 2 10's? You may even be able to work out a deal with someone on the board. >>

696 Giants Team & 717 Tom Phoebus.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a very strong following on ebay, I would consider consigning the 1970 Phoebus PSA 10 to the eBay seller prewarcardcollector (www.pwccauctions.com). Brent has a tremendous following of bidders, he is extremely well organized, he presents his eBay listings very attractively, and he usually gets stronger prices than the average ebay seller. His rates include all fees, and are not much more than the eBay and paypal fees you'd pay anyway. I did it recently with a POP 2 1972 Topps #400 Tony Oliva PSA 10 and I was very happy with the results.

I am in no way connected to this seller, just letting you know about my positive experience.

Good luck with however you proceed.