Home Precious Metals
Options

Something Fun to Think about

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's a trillion dollars? (Yes, I had to google it...)
... ... ... ... ...
A trillion dollars = $1,000,000,000,000.
That's 12 zeroes to the left of the decimal point. A trillion is a million million dollars.
The U.S. government spends more than the entire Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Australia, China and Spain combined. If you laid one dollar bills end to end, you could make a chain that stretches from earth to the moon and back again 200 times before you ran out of dollar bills! One trillion dollars would stretch nearly from the earth to the sun. It would take a military jet flying at the speed of sound, reeling out a roll of dollar bills behind it, 14 years before it reeled out one trillion dollar bills.
What is frightening is that government will continue to grow in America unless citizens prevent it. If government stays on the course it's been on for the past forty years without a radical change, the federal government will have a $10 TRILLION BUDGET by the year 2010.
Foolish politicians make pronouncements about the strength of the economy. The total debt obligation of the United States now exceeds 46 TRILLION DOLLARS.

... ... ... ... ...
Yet, there is only enough gold, mined up to this point to fill only one third of the Washington Monument.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    That jet analogy makes me want to laugh and then get sick. 14 years!! image

100 million dollars (100 dollar bills)

1 trillion dollars (100 dollar bills)

• Options
    Wow that pic says a lot.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    wow.......
    Becky
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I think if the folks we vote for would actually see something like this instead of just throwing out numbers in the air and on paper, they would do things differently.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Video clip of the same

A trillion dollars worth of gold stacked like that would not be as "impressive".

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top 25 US banks have otc derivative bets totalling $203 TRILLION.

The top 5 too-big-to-fail banks carry about 95% of those bets.

Before the Bank for International Settlements changed their derivative accounting methodology to marked to maturity they reported a total of $1,140 TRILLION in world-wide otc derivatives or $1.14 QUAD. I think they quickly got the point that no one wanted to see a number in the QUADs. So in 2008 they cut the number down by 40%. Today it's a "manageable" $583 TRILLION.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Video clip of the same

I a trillion dollars worth of gold stacked like that would not be as "impressive".

MJ >>

You couldn't do it, at today's gold prices. If you were able to stack all the gold the US government claims to own it is only worth about $300 billion.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    The gold stack would be larger I would think. I can fold up 11 $100 bills smaller than a 1 oz gold bar. I'd like to see it in silver image