Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

THE OFFICIAL DARKSIDE NEVER ENDING GIVEAWAY

Click here to skip the FAQ and jump to the box's status

Welcome to the official Darkside Never Ending Giveaway!

The concept here is pretty basic, but to reduce confusion and misunderstandings please read the information below before entering. It looks long, but mostly it's just common sense.

This ain't your grandpa's giveaway

Simply shouting "I'm in!" and crossing your toes, hoping to win won't work here. Nope, this is a never ending giveaway.

The way it works is that you must register. Once registered you will be added to the list of participants. The giveaway box will make it's way from person to person down the list. Each person when they have the box may take out as many coins as they wish to keep, so long as they replace them with coins of an equal or greater value (value of the entire box, that is). Then you pass it on and wait until it comes back to you again with a different batch of coins. It's that simple. But of course we're going to mix things up a bit to make it more fun.

How to register

Anyone may enter, but you must provide at least two references to people already in the giveaway. I know, I know, we darksiders are trusting, open minded people and shouldn't need to do this. But things can and do go wrong, so this is only to help protect the investment of those who participate in good faith. We don't want to alienate anyone, and hope to have as many people as practicible participate, so please bear with us.

To get things started I'll take anyone I've had a successful transaction with or who is among the widely known forum old timers. Others should wait until later in the cycle when they can obtain a recommendation from a participant.

If you've already had the box in Stork's giveaway, you're eligible again - this is a different giveaway!

Registration is ongoing. If you find this once it's already begun and would like to enter, please do!

To officially enter, shoot me a PM. Be sure to include your email address so that I can get in touch with you if for some reason you go yeti when we get near your turn. Also include your mailing address so that I can try to work out any delivery issues in advance. I'll keep this info securely offline and delete it when you opt out.

Once you're registered you will remain in the lineup unless/until you ask to be removed, so no need to re-register every cycle.

Also, you must of course agree to all the terms outlined here in order to enter.

How's this list work?

Once we have at least five people signed up I'll randomize the list and send the package out to the first person. That list will remain static until everyone on it has received the package. But the list is not closed. Any newcomers will just be added to the end of the list as they arrive. That means the cycle may keep expanding.

Once we reach the end of the list the package will be sent back to me. I'll take the list and reorder the entire lineup using a random number generator and we'll start another cycle.

To avoid last minute confusion, when the package is sent to the second to last person on the list registration will be temporarily suspended. Any new entrants after the suspension will be added to the roster for the next cycle.

There's more!

The idea behind having an ordered list, as opposed to each person having a drawing when they have the box, is to allow us to get creative. If you know who's getting it after you you can take their interests or wantlist into consideration and stuff it with things they may like.

Since the list is static each round, some folks may want to jockey for position. This is OK by me, but any change in lineup has to be arranged by you with the person who you'd like to swap with. Example: say you're #12 but you want to give something to #6, you can PM #5 and ask to swap positions - but that means #5 will have to agree to take the 12th spot and wait that much longer. Anyone taking advantage of this rule must notify me once a swap is made so I can update the official order.

One thing that seems to have caused bad juju in some Lightside tags is the concept of dibs or reserving a coin a few rounds out - this giveaway will not have dibs.

In fact, it may be wise to just not say what's in the box at any given time. Plus, it kind of ruins the surprise. But this isn't a rule, merely a suggestion

Absences

If we are getting close to your position in the list and you know that you will be away from the mailbox for a while, please let me know via PM and we'll shift your name back one spot, five spots or to the end (your choice). If we have to shift your position more than three times you will be removed from the cycle and have to wait for the next iteration.

I will PM people around two spots out from your position in the list to make sure you're still interested or able to participate.

Determining value

We'll assume everyone here plays fair and understands the concepts of fair market value and proper grading. But this is the Darkside so you may come across something strange you want to keep but can't put a finger on the value. As administrator of the giveaway I will act as arbitrator of values. I don't think we should have to submit all swaps in/out for mandatory review, but if problems arise that's what we'll do. Until then, value is left to your wise judgement, with the option of using me as arbitrator.

I'm including a junk box portion just for kicks. This'll go in a separate bag in the box and won't count toward the total value.

When you have the box

Once you finally get that box of goodies and tear through it like a toddler with a sugar rush on Christmas morning, please keep some things in mind:

Before you take anything out of the box, please conduct an inventory of the contents and make a tally of the value. I'll PM you a list of the contents once you have it in hand. Please update that list with your subtractions and additions and PM it back to me so I can keep track of how we're progressing.

You may keep anything in the box except the tracking coins (see below). Whatever you keep is yours, no strings attached - you can sell them at 5x markup, toss 'em in a fountain, whatever.

Now this is the most important rule here: You must replace the coins you keep with coins of equal or greater value. Example: if you take 5 coins worth $40 out of the box, you can put in 7 coins worth $40 dollars. The total value of the coins taken out must at least match the total value of the coins put back in. How you do this is up to you. But please be considerate: don't take out two $20 coins only to replace them with 80 junk box coins.

Shipping and Turnaround

Please try to get the package on to the next person no more than a week after receiving it! If you think you may have trouble sticking to this before your turn comes let me know and we'll shift you back a spot in line.

For delivery use a new small Flat Rate box from the US Postal Service for shipping, they are free! Postage for this will be $4.95 ($4.80 online) no matter the weight. Insurance and signature confirmation are mandatory! This'll add another $5 or so, depending on insured amount.

At some point we may need to upgrade to a medium Flat Rate box. I doubt it'll happen, but if/when it does base postage (not counting insurance & sig conf) will jump to $10.70. UPDATE: We are now using a MEDIUM flat rate box, so the cost has risen slightly - $10.70, not including sig conf/insurance.

Delivery confirmation is included with signature confirmation - please post the tracking number to this thread so we know things are moving along.

If you want to print postage at home you can use this link to do it through USPS online. You'll need to create an account there and pay with a credit card, all of which is quick and painless.

Please be aware of the cost involved here. By participating you are agreeing to cover shipping as described above without compensation.

Tracking the box

It's kind of impractical to slap stickers on such a small box, this isn't a suitcase from the 60s afterall. So to have fun and see where the box has been, lets try to toss in a state quarter from your state and see how many we get image It doesn't have to be BU, something from change is fine - this is just for fun. Hopefully this'll be the Lightest stuff in the box!)

Playing by the rules

This should go without saying: Entry in this giveaway should be treated as a binding contract, no different than any other sale or swap. Once entered you agree to pay shipping to the next person without compensation. If you can't do this, opt out. If you didn't find anything you like in the box, sorry, better luck next time. But you must still pass it along. If you abscond with our loot we'll, um... I dunno exactly right now, but if the participants deem it necessary we will take action which may include legal action.

Any updates to the rules will be added to this post.

The line up and package status is in the next post.

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The box is currently with Rickc300.
    (USPS Track & Confirm)

The roster so far:

spoon
    Muygrandeoso
    ASUtodd
    olmanjon
    Musky1011
    Aethelred
    DeepSix
    ormandh
    Rickc300
    terribleredmonster

The reserve list (approved, but will jump in line later):
    BillyKingsley
  • Options
    pm sent
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    i will give it try
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    OK, we have our first five. That seems enough to get things rolling so I'll randomize the list later tonight and get the package out to the first participant tomorrow.

But this thing is by no means over! Just because we're starting doesn't mean it's too late to enter. You can enter at any time so come on down! The more the merrier image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like a lot of fun but I am absolutely sure I have nothing that I could contribute that anyone would want.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    You would be surprised. Something you put into the box might just send somebody in another direction to collect. I wasn't collecting Canadian Large cents until I saw a collection at a dealers and now I have over 500. You never know. Enter your name.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    Bah! We're an eclectic group, I'm sure one of us will want whatever you have to swap image

Also, this isn't a big bucks kind of thing. I think the highest value thing in the starter box is around $20. Probably more than half is around $5 or under. Those numbers may change as things progress, but this giveaway is for fun. There should be something for everyone in there. So if all you've got is $10-$20 worth of stuff to swap, why not give it a try?

I'll be kicking this off by getting the box in the mail Monday or Tuesday, but registration is ongoing!

And I was thinking, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense to randomize the first five when everyone else will be placed as they come, and I'm feeling lazy, so the lineup in the 2nd post is how it's gonna start. The next person to join will follow Aethelred, who I'm sure has some great goodies to stuff the box with imageimage
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Allright, I'm in image I don't have two references from people in there but I have done multiple deals with Lord M. Does that count?

If not, before it ends I suppose I will have to utilize the BST when I have some more money to spend image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Click here to skip the FAQ and jump to the box's status

Also, I'd like for this to be available for board members overseas but shipping costs may be prohibitive to some. If we get anyone to add an international touch to this I could tweak the lineup such that the folks before any overseas participants are ones who agree to the cost.

>>

It's not only shipping costs that would make this unattractive to overseas participants. As it would have to go insured, it would probably get hammered for import duties in the UK for example - something that isn't a problem in the US. It p's a lot of people off when you have to pay extra taxes despite the fact something was made here. Individual coins sometimes slip through, but I'm sure a heavy box of metal wouldn't.
  • Options
    I'd like to give it a try. Happy Holidays.
  • Options
    Dollar, we'd love to have ya, but please first read over the rules in the top post. If you're still up for it after that long mess, PM me image

Rob, yeah, I thought of that later.. that does make it less appealing for non-US folks to participate image

So here's the box:

Doesn't look like much, but that's pretty stacked in there, and that's not everything image
    (about 40 coins not counting the junk box stuff)

I made a little divider to keep the 2x2s and flips from sloshing around. I also tossed in some extra padding for the later rounds to use, making it a tight squeeze. If you need to modify it or scrap that stuff when you make your deposit, no problem. Also, a tip on these small flat rate boxes: it's really helpful to tape the corners before stuffing it.

It'll be on it's way to Muygrandeoso tomorrow. Let's see if it makes it there for Christmas image

UPDATE: Postage is paid and the box will be en route in the morning!

Also, PP doesn't offer the option of paying for a Small Flat Rate box, only envelopes and medium image But you can print postage online through USPS.com. You'll need to set up an account (quick & painless) and use a credit card for that.

The box' weight is 1 lb 11 oz (not that it matters!) and postage online cost a total of $9 even.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    By the way, has anyone heard from Stork lately? I haven't seen any of her posts in a while...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, has anyone heard from Stork lately? I haven't seen any of her posts in a while... >>

Haven't seen her around lately either. Guess she's still getting settled in over there image
  • Options
    Hi,

The Giveaway box is packed up and will be posted to ASUTodd in the morning. I added some interesting coins, including 10 silver coins.

Thanks to Spoon for starting this up again!

Chris

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Box is here..... I have started going through it and will send it on within the next couple of days......
  • Options
    olmanjon... I know Canadian (doubt I have anything you don't already have) but what other types of coins are you looking for???
    Todd
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't respond faster-computer has been down-new years parties in ohio-next step on my chemo-list goes on and on.image
    I also am into New Foundland(I know you are too)and Canadian tokens. German and Italian. I also collect just about anything under the sun. Can't wait to see what is coming. Thanks,
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    Just a reminder to anyone viewing this, entry is still open. If you want in on the swap send me a PM!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry I didn't respond faster-computer has been down-new years parties in ohio-next step on my chemo-list goes on and on.image
    I also am into New Foundland(I know you are too)and Canadian tokens. German and Italian. I also collect just about anything under the sun. Can't wait to see what is coming. Thanks,
    Olmanjon >>

Stop it Olmanjon... You are a stand-up guy. There is no reason to apologize!
  • Options
    Thanks Ormand-Since the last time we tried this giveaway it faltered-I just don't want to be the one that causes the demise of this one. I just love this forum and the guys and gals that participate here.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    Was waiting on word from Oly about what he wanted..... I'll see what I can put in there to give you a fix... This is a very different box than from the last go around (which I'm still a bit perturbed that someone walked off with the box of stuff)... many different types of coins and such in there. I like the fact we are adding something to the box that shows who it has been to... I'll put the items in and send it on its way!!! Thanks!
    Todd
  • Options
    Great-Looking forward to it's arrival. Feel like a kid in a candy shop. Just like Christmas morning. Thanks again to everyone for keeping this great idea going,
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    February 6-received the box. Took out 18 pieces and replaced with 20 pieces. Will send out February 8. Thanks again to Spoon for restarting this giveaway. Olmanjon
  • Options
    Oly... I put a Newfie 50 cent piece in there, not sure you need or want it and I put the silver 3 pence bracelet in there also. I got it in a bulk lot of world coins one time and never did anything with it. It is crudely made but hopefully someone will like it or scrap it... I tried to replace the coins with ones there were equal or higher value than the ones I took out. The one thing that I took out, well left out by accident, was the Russian mint set... I was going to place it back in the box but for some reason my mind wasn't working and it ended up on the computer desk and not in the box.. I didn't realize it until I had already sent the box out... Hopefully you find something in there that you like. Also, you like my NC stamped quarter? I stamped my zip code on it and I think the date... can't remember.. either way, enjoy and sorry it took so long to get it to you!
    Todd
  • Options
    Box went out at 1:42 pm 2/08/2010. Already had the Newfie half so sent it along. Got a nice 1820 shilling and an 1843 half farthing from Britain. My first half-farthing. Would have liked to have seen the Russian set. Maybe next time.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    received box today

• Options
    Just a reminder to anyone watching - entry is still open, if you want in on the swap just PM me!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I was hoping to make it to the post office today to pick-up the "never ending giveaway" box, but just didn't get up in time. However, my pretty little wife was sweet enough to got get it for me, so I now have the box in hand.

I have taken one item out of the box and added several items to it (photos will follow). I hope that the next person in line will find something that he or she will like.

Thank you Spoon for including me in this giveaway. Thank you to those who went before me for your additions to the box.

Edited to add: Because of the additional items that I have added to the box I have had to move us up from a small size Priority Box to a medium size.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Woohoo! Four more guys left in this round, unless anyone else wants to join (you still can!) image

And just to reiterate, your only cost of participation is just shipping - which will now be $10.70 in a MEDIUM flat rate mailer, not including signature confirmation/insurance.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry these photos are not better, but I was in a hurry...

This is what I took out of the box

This is what I put in (along with a couple of books that are not pictured)
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I am looking forward to searching the lot! I also know the person to search the lot after me will to!imageimage -Dan
  • Options
    Wow, this thing is picking up steam. It sounds like there is already more in the box than there was when we did this last time as part of Stork's giveaway.

• Options
    I have received the box and will be sending it back out tomorrow (March 18th).

I'll provide an update on the box's contents later today when i have a bit more time.
  • Options
    so where is the box now?????

• Options
    I'm checking on it!
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed update. Things have been crazier than usual here lately.

I had a great time going through the box. I pulled out a 25 centavos from Nicaragua (thanks Musky!) and put in a few silver pieces and added to the "junque box" section. The 25 centavos was a great find for me. I've always admired the sun and 5 volcanoes design on the CAR 8 reales. I didn't realize the same design was available in a smaller, less expensive coin image

I was a little delayed in getting the box back out, but Dan should have it soon, if not already.

Edited due to poor spelling.
  • Options
    I now have the box and it should be leaving out tomorrow!
  • Options
    The box is still with me. I will get it out on Monday and will post a few pics of me opening the box with a not so detailed view of the finds. I will say that I was sort of surprised to see mostly common and/or circulated modern pieces.
    Although, I appreciate that I was given the chance to look through the hoard I do feel that we are not adding quality back into the box. Quality, not quantity. I will "refresh" the box with some really decent items and see how far it goes.
    Thanks to Eric for getting this thing going. I consider this thing to be in the beginning stages and we will learn how to tweak the rules so that we do not offload our cull to meet the criteria in the future. Sorry if I sound ungrateful, but....

-Dan
  • Options
    OK, we're getting down to the end of the list so registration for this cycle is closed. You can still add your name for the next round though.

Dan,
    You're echoing some of my concerns. I know that a lot of great, neat stuff has changed hands through the course of it, but it has also been accumulating a lot of smaller stuff. While I hoped including the small stuff would be fun to dig through and maybe open someone up to new things, I'm afraid it may just lead to crowding out the better stuff as it moves along.

I think once it comes back to me we should take a pause for an after action review and see how we can make the next round better. But why not get the ball rolling now.

Perhaps a minimum value is needed? $5 or $10 minimum per coin? Minimum grade for coins below a certain value and/or age?

I dunno, give me your thoughts guys. I know we've got a lot of potential here and can make this into something great!
  • Options
    This thing is still young and I really do think that it has a lot of potential for the board to broaden the collecting horizons. I personally will be adding $100 worth of nicer coins from all aspects of collecting. I suggest that we keep a detailed list of what has been taken and what has been added by each designated stop. With that being said, I think that the receiver will not know what he/she is receiving to make things fun and interesting. I also think that the person sending should contact the next receiver to see what they primarily collect to keep things relevant.

Again, I want to stress the fact that Eric was GREAT to get this thing rolling with his own stash and I want to be the second(Aethelred first) to acknowledge such. Thanks Eric!image

We will get this to work, I am sure of it! -Dan
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    OK--does this mean that who ever has the box reports back to Spoon to let him know what was in the box when received and what was in the box when it was sent out? If you want to keep it a surprize to the next person in line to get the box, then the contents can't be posted that are being sent along. However, if a person was to find something in the box that really fits in his collection, then this could be posted so that the rest of us who wanted that particular item could drool with envy. Sorry this isn't as eloquent as Laurents speech, but you know what I mean. I think that there are a lot of fellow collectors interested in this never ending giveaway. A tweak here and a tweak there, and first thing you know we have something great. I can't wait until it gets back to me for a second chance. We just have to keep in mine that not all of us collect the same thing and what might be trash to one is a treasure to someone else. Case in point being toned coins. Some collectors wouldn't own one. On the other hand some collectors don't like the stark white of pristine Morgan dollars. To each his own. Enough rambling. Only my two cents worth. Lets keep coming up with more ideas. Post your opinions. Thanks again for all of you responsable for creating this idea and to keeping it moving along.
    Olmanjon
  • Options
    The box WILL be leaving my hands tomorrow. Sorry, but it has not been very easy for me to get everything together to get it to the post office. -Dan
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    The box arrived here today. There are some goodies that I am going to take and exchange for that I can place a value on but there are other coins and tokens that I am interested in but have no idea on how to determine a fair value for... I am going to check with a couple of local dealers to get an idea of value on an Ancient and some Notgeld, I really have no idea of what a fair price is as both are out of my area of expertise and I want to be fair for the next person. (If you put in the ancient or notgeld PM me and let me know a fair market price so I can decide if I am going to trade for them) Thanx!

My guess is that the box will be going out to the next collector on Friday...

Thanks for the chance and I can't wait for the next go round! There are more coins that I am interested in than I thought there would be.

Rick

PS-I have also cherry picked a couple of coins from the junk box, and replaced them with a few low grade silver coins. I for one would love a junk box of one dollar or less valued coins, I collect German coins, (Empire, Weimar and Third Reich) by date and mint and still need many coins under a buck that I just have not come across and that are not listed on most auction sites due to the lack of value or demand...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Hey Rick, shoot me a PM with the ones you need values on. Dan put a lot of stuff in there, and I suspect the notgeld is his image
    If we can't figure it out you can just post it here for value opinions.

Glad you like it! image
  • Options
    I'm getting pretty stoked for my shot at this. For anybody that doesn't know, my primary focus is 1979 dated silver. I happen to be thinning out my collection at the moment, so I think rather than trying to ebay or trade off a bunch of my odds and ends I may just donate them to the cause. Anybody have a problem with me adding more lower end material? Naturally I'm not talking about trading it into the box, simply adding it.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    The box was shipped Monday the 19th with an expected Wednesday delivery (according to the receipt). The confirmation number is 0309 1830 0000 3178 7022. I won't post what I put in the box until after the round is over but I dig take the following out of the box.

1764 F Prussian Thaler AG (A new type for me) image
    1915 Chili Peso
    1859 1/4 real Mexico (Sonora)
    1963 1/2 crown New Zealand
    1852 6 pfennig Hannover (Another new type for me) image
    Some junk box stuff, mostly modern Mexican coinage
    1678 Leopold 15 Kreuzer

I have wanted a Leopold coin for myself since I first saw one, Funny thing is I originally passed on it, because I was going to hold out for a thaler. I planned on sending the box out Friday but due to traffic I didn't get to the PO before closing and opened the box to look at the Leopold again when I got back home. I decided that if I had to look at it one more time before sending it on it's way that I better take it out of the box and keep it for my greedy little (well big) self.
    Thanks everyone,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Box received this afternoon. I'll be spending a nice quiet evening rifling through it.
  • Options
    Quiet? I was oohing and awwing like it was a fourth of July celebration! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, but alas I had nothing from 1979 in silver to put in for you but I did add some silver never the less...

Rick

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Those 8 Reals are pretty sweet. Oddly, it was the Millard Filmore medal that I immediately snatched. More rifling to come...
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    I would love to join next round, but only if there is a minimum value for every coin in the box.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates