Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question for the Philippines experts

Who is this guy and what was the first depiction of him on coins/medals?

I always thought that was just a generic allegorical figure dreamed up for the USPI coinage, but then saw this medal at NEN from 1895 for the Philippines Regional Exposition.

Does he represent some figure in Filipino history or folklore, or is this just a coincidence?

imageimage

Comments

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I'm no expert, but I'll have a wag.

The young man on the reverse first appeared on USPI minors in 1903. He was designed by Melecio Figueroa and was meant to represent the youth, vigor and industriousness of the Filipino people. I wonder if he designed this medal as well?

I have no idea which angel is blessing him.

I'd guess the obverse has portraits of Alfonso XIII, who was proclaimed King of Spain at his birth in 1886, and his mother, Queen Maria Christina, who acted as his representative during his youth. Of course, the Philippines was under Spanish rule at this time.

The regional exhibition of Manila in 1895 was designed to show the world the agricultural and industry technological advances in the Philippines during the period and to demonstrate the lifestyle and customs of the Filipino people.

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    My WAG: He may be a representation of Panday Pira. Here's a blurb about him from Wiki:

Panday Pira (1488-1576) was a Moro blacksmith[1] who is acknowledged as "The First Filipino Cannon-maker".[2] His name literally translates as "Blacksmith Pira", panday being the Filipino word for "blacksmith".
    Panday Pira was a native of the southern islands of the Philippines. He migrated to Manila in 1508 and established a foundry on the northern bank of the Pasig River. Rajah Sulayman commissioned Panday Pira to cast the cannon that were mounted on the palisades surrounding his kingdom. In 1570, Spanish forces under the command of Martin de Goiti captured Manila and took these artillery pieces as war booty, presenting them to Miguel López de Legazpi, the first Spanish Governor-General of the Philippines.
    Legazpi eventually established a permanent Spanish settlement in Manila on May 19, 1571 and on June 3 of the same year, Rajah Sulayman waged the Battle of Bankusay Channel to re-capture his kingdom from the Spaniards. Rajah Sulayman failed in this and perished in the battle. Panday Pira then fled to Pampanga where he attempted to begin a new life as a blacksmith forging farm implements. He was, however, summoned by Legazpi back to Manila and put to work forging cannons for the Spaniards. He established his foundry in what is now Santa Ana. Santiago de Vera, the sixth Governor-General, commissioned him to cast cannon for the defenses of a fortress he built, the fortress of Nuestra Señora de Guia (Spanish, "Our Lady of Guidance"), now called Intramuros.[3] To the Spaniards, Panday Pira was known as Pandapira,[4] and they exempted him from paying tribute and forced labor.
    In 1576, Panday Pira died at the age of 88. His death was a great loss to the Spaniards who had to petition the King of Spain for a blacksmith to take his place. It was not until 1584, that a Spanish blacksmith from Mexico arrived.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • I do not collect medals but here is some interesting notes from other collectors.
    linky
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This medal is by Figueroa. I agree with FilAm.

He designed the medal several years before the coinage.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Neat. So it was the same designer for both and there is a legendary character behind it.

Thanks for the info guys! image
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Now the question is ... are you going to pull the trigger? image

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now the question is ... are you going to pull the trigger? image >>

I wish! image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figueroa also did this medal (Ponterio NYINC 2009 auction):