Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Help in crossing to "The Darkside"

Hello all,
I am a newbie to the "Darkside" of collecting, well sort of anyway. I do have a minor set of WWII coins that span the countries fighting during that period, but that started off with North American coinage, so maybe it does not count? Anyway, I recently have sparked an interest in coins from Romania. I don't know why, but I find them interesting.
The only problem I see is finding them. My local shops have the world coin "Bargain Bin", but I have yet to ever see a Romanian coin in there anway, and I would like to be able to work on completing the entire set someday if possible. I do have a World Coin guide, so I have a good idea of the Mint Marks and denoms produced, but would like some information on if there is a specific book on Romanian coins, where the best place to look would be, etc.
Anybody with Romanian coins they are looking to sell, please PM me or post here.
If anyone has some good websites, or knows a local dealer who has or can obtain these, please let me know. I am also exploring some other obscure countries as well, and perhaps in time, may shift my focus elsewhere in this arena.
Any help, advice, tips, etc. are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time in this matter.
John
Johnathan German

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    My advice:

Get one of these! image

Unfortunately, I sold that one a while back. But they can be found nice with some frequency on ebay. I think going rates are around $40, though I only got $20-sumthin...

I do have a 1914 50 bani listed for sale, have to snap some pics. Let me know if you're interested.

Edit - I seem to recall seeing a digital book on Romanian coins once upon a time - I'll check into that.
  • Options
    Welcome friend.

Some suggestions include simply googling up Foreign Coin Dealer and Ebay.

On Ebay you can do a search for Romanian coins, find some offerings-most of which
    will be by dealers-and contact the dealer you choose with a want list.

NEN(Northeast Numismatics) and Civitas are great resources(google up) as well.

They're both solid dealers with fairly priced material.

I just checked on about 14 Romanian coins on NEN and a couple on Civitas Galleries for example.

Good luck image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm really going to enjoy collecting some off the a-typical coins. Romanian coins seem intriguing to me, and I have found a few other countries that interest me as well.
    Thanks again as I really do appreciate your time to steer a "newbie" in a solid direction. Much obliged and will be posting again soon with my newly purchased "discoveries"!

John

"Dad.....I think this package just meowed"
    "Don't worry son.....your Aunt Edna just wraps up things from around the house."

-Clark W. Griswold
    Johnathan German