Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

wooden money-Tenino, Washington

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was lucky enough to win something I knew nothing about- perhaps its not the first time but at least this time it proved to be on of the most interesting...

During the Great Depression, a small Washington town faced the most challenging time as the Citizens Bank of Tenino failed. There was a shortage of money and the Tenino Chamber of Commerce met and issued emergency script in 1931 from the dividends assigned to it from the Citizens Bank that amounted to over $3000 in which nearly $1300 circulated. This was followed by wooden issues in April of 1932 and redeemable in January of 1933. Approximately $10000 in emergency wood money certificates were issued in various denominations from 25 cents to 1 dollar with serial numbers. The serial number on the wooden dollar I came across is 180 and the serial number on the 50 cents is 468-all signed by governing Trustees. While I am not sure of their value, the history speaks volumes for exactly how problematic the economy was and what was done to spark confidence and bolster the local economy in an area that most Americans did not even know existed...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but are these the same one's issued and now is generally accepted as the first "actual" Wooden nickels?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that is correct... the so called wooden nickels evolved from this event

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Blaine Washington 1933 comes to mind. About a year ago I found a collectibles dealer in the same town who had one for sale for $45, the deal never happened image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file