Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters Have Good Company

2»

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Was it not the case that the high leaf was stopped somewhere in the run and some coins were destroyed?
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it not the case that the high leaf was stopped somewhere in the run and some coins were destroyed? >>

wow never heard that i got a set in 65 pcgs and was lucky to have found them, and to me the lincoln penny with the extra finger and thumb and skeltons they will go back up. Did seem like the wisconsin had more publicity around it, its funny the mint recalled all those 2010 d dollars because 1 error was found, and yet these others seem to sneak thru. back to going thru rolls of the dollars found 12 rolls of john quincy adams, today the hunt will continue : }
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Without coming off as a know-it-all, IMHO and with what little interest I have had since 1/25/05 concerning the WI Extra Leaf quarters, here is some rehash information about the coins. Thanksgiving, 2004: several Denver Mint employees, one at least worked in the secured Die Shop, altered two WI D quarter dies in their softened state using a circular tool. The employee(s) had access to an operating Schueller Press and were caught minting the High Leaf "Blemished" variety just before the press operator went on his midnight lunch break. That employee turned off the press and laid the defective coin on top of the controls before leaving his station. When he returned, he found the press running again and stamping more High Leaf coins. This we know from the Inspector General's report announced in 2006. Folks, even the Gov't. report cries out that this was a deliberate, inside job where the coins were minted on the "sly". I was told back in Febr. 2005 that three employees were responsible and were able to mint all the "Low Leafs" that they wanted but were caught minting the "High Leafs". A year ago, I spoke to a person who said that he was hired by the Gov't. to investigate the Denver Mint and the WI Quarter incident. Strictly on a verbal basis, he told me that one employee was told to leave and I assume retired. That pounds of new WI D Quarters were in fact destroyed by the Mint. Someday, a report or newsline will be written that nanes the nanes of those responsible for these scarce coins. PCGS + NGC Highs are 7,037 and 9,577 Lows graded as of today. This is more than five years since they werte first graded. Many are resubmits. I live in the San Antonio, Tx area and the findings of these coins have dried up. Period. Look at the Ebay market currently: A PCGS MS 67 High (one of only two) sold for 10K. Some completed auctions are still very low amounts but some with raw coins are up in the last few months. Collectors can enjoy buying an example at these low, low prices which is good for the hobby. The interest in the coins is not dead like the Speared Bison, MN trees, Godless $, etc. but values will not return to 2006 levels until there is more widespread knowledge and interest in the coins. This is all only one person's opinion.... But, what do I know.

Please skip my Sunday morning disertation if the subject is boring to you. Thanks.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presumably, both die's were in a single press which means they both produced the same amount of quarters? Yet more have been graded for the Hi's than Lo's.

The Denver Mint used 5 presses then to strike quarters. Each press was a single-strike press, meaning only one die is in each press. Coins from all five presses are funneled into the same hopper, so they get mixed together right after they are struck.

Edited to add: Populations for the High Leaf and Low Leafs should be kept separate, just as the 1922 No D and 1922 Weak D cents should be separate too.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow never had any idea what a great video and thks for all the info on these two coins, glad i got mine such an interesting story ... that goes along with the coins...............
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

Tommy, there are millions of collectors out there, like you, that are just finding out about these coins. Once they do the prices are going to climb. Buy what you can at todays prices. I, like Mark (extra leaf quarters), have been around these coins since they first appeared .
  • Options

<< <i>Without coming off as a know-it-all, IMHO and with what little interest I have had since 1/25/05 concerning the WI Extra Leaf quarters, here is some rehash information about the coins. Thanksgiving, 2004: several Denver Mint employees, one at least worked in the secured Die Shop, altered two WI D quarter dies in their softened state using a circular tool. The employee(s) had access to an operating Schueller Press and were caught minting the High Leaf "Blemished" variety just before the press operator went on his midnight lunch break. That employee turned off the press and laid the defective coin on top of the controls before leaving his station. When he returned, he found the press running again and stamping more High Leaf coins. This we know from the Inspector General's report announced in 2006. Folks, even the Gov't. report cries out that this was a deliberate, inside job where the coins were minted on the "sly". I was told back in Febr. 2005 that three employees were responsible and were able to mint all the "Low Leafs" that they wanted but were caught minting the "High Leafs". A year ago, I spoke to a person who said that he was hired by the Gov't. to investigate the Denver Mint and the WI Quarter incident. Strictly on a verbal basis, he told me that one employee was told to leave and I assume retired. That pounds of new WI D Quarters were in fact destroyed by the Mint. Someday, a report or newsline will be written that nanes the nanes of those responsible for these scarce coins. PCGS + NGC Highs are 7,037 and 9,577 Lows graded as of today. This is more than five years since they werte first graded. Many are resubmits. I live in the San Antonio, Tx area and the findings of these coins have dried up. Period. Look at the Ebay market currently: A PCGS MS 67 High (one of only two) sold for 10K. Some completed auctions are still very low amounts but some with raw coins are up in the last few months. Collectors can enjoy buying an example at these low, low prices which is good for the hobby. The interest in the coins is not dead like the Speared Bison, MN trees, Godless $, etc. but values will not return to 2006 levels until there is more widespread knowledge and interest in the coins. This is all only one person's opinion.... But, what do I know.

Please skip my Sunday morning disertation if the subject is boring to you. Thanks. >>

Mark, if they are bored with these coins, they do not own any because these are not boring coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file