Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Player Set Update from PSA

I'm sure most of you have already received this or will shortly, but this e-mail just arrived:

Dear Registry Member,

This is to notify you that we are making a small change to the player sets. Effectively immediately, we will add to the player set composites all cards that were manufactured one year past the player’s retirement. Previously, the only post-play cards accepted were those that had the player’s stats printed on the back of the card. We are making this change because cards, with or without stats, issued the year following retirement are meant to depict the player’s previous season.

This change applies to Baseball, Basketball, Football and Hockey player sets. (Miscellaneous Sports and Non-Sport player sets are open-ended.) The sets will be updated as requests are made and you will no longer be asked to send us a scan for these one year post-play cards. Please use the online request form to submit your request. If you had sent in a request for a post-play year addition and it was denied, you will need to re-submit your request. Cards will be added to sets in the order received. Currently, we are running approximately 6-8 weeks on player set updates.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us.

Thanks for your continuing support and happy holidays to you all!

BJ Searls
Set Registry Manager

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I just got it too.

Good news!...should also make it easier on everyone (once the initial rush is gone image ) image

Thank you PSA image

Steve
  • Options
    This is great news. It makes things much more simpler and easier for everyone.
  • Options
    This is one of those PSA Set Registry rules that I never agreed with. Just requested about 20 additions to the Wade Boggs Master Set!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Good move. Makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with PSA's move here. It does make good sense.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    I like it!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works for me.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    What?! No more Topps "Turn back the clock" cards. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    I think that most of us realized that a current year, reflected the previous year ever since we started collecting as kids..good move PSA.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    I also like the move. It makes no sense to allow some and not others.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Although I take no issue with the change in theory, it is a bit self serving if you ask me.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Are there any licensed 1970 Mickey Mantle cards?

If not, would the following year be accepted, ie. 1971 Yankees Clinic Mickey Mantle?

PoppaJ

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    You can make a case that the 69 Mantle is the first one after he retired. But no, I'm not aware of any Mantle stuff from 1970.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1971 Yankees Clinic Mickey Mantle? >>

This would not be accepted, because it falls outside of the design principles of the statement. A card issued in the immediate following season is meant to depict their playing days. A card issued 2 or more years later is in the category of a commemorative card highlighting the player's accomplishment[s] before retirement.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I know it probably doesn't fit this but I'd really like to see the Roy Campanella Symbol of Courage card added to the registry. But it is 2 years after the accident and thus will probably never be added. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1971 Yankees Clinic Mickey Mantle? >>

This would not be accepted, because it falls outside of the design principles of the statement. A card issued in the immediate following season is meant to depict their playing days. A card issued 2 or more years later is in the category of a commemorative card highlighting the player's accomplishment[s] before retirement. >>

How about the 1971 Yankees team card?

[For those who don't know, Topps used a picture from 1967 for this card, so Mantle is in the team picture.]

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the 1971 Yankees team card?

[For those who don't know, Topps used a picture from 1967 for this card, so Mantle is in the team picture.]

Nick >>

////////////////////////////////////

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's appallingly lazy, even by Topps standards of the time.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG....I had no idea....what a pathetic effort.

I wonder if PSA researched this card prior to determining to include it in the Thurman Munson master set? Obviously 1967 is way before his rookie year.