Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

cherrypicked some Walker varieties in my own set! (attribution results update)

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently saw that PCGS has a new Walking Liberty Halves "Complete Variety" Registry Set, which includes most of the varieties listed in Volume II of the 4th Edition of the Cherrypickers Guide. I finally bought a copy of the book and sat down with my various Walker sets to see if I already own any of them and -- Bingo! -- I found three different ones in PCGS holders, and two other different raw ones.

Cherrypicking yourself is even more fun than cherrypicking a dealer, because the coins are already paid for! image

1939-D/D FS-501 (PCGS XF40)

1941-S/S FS-501 (PCGS AU53)

1944-S/S FS-501 (raw AU50)

1944-S Inverted Mintmark FS-511 (PCGS MS65 and PCGS AU55)

1945 Missing Designer's Initials (raw VF25)
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job! I have found a couple of things in my collection too.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just love when that happens!

About 2 years ago I did the same thing with my Mercury Dimes. The first two I picked up were a 1931-S DDO and a 1941-S/S. That is what started me on my journey to complete the Mercury w/Varieties set.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Just checked all my 41s walkers..64-67's ..no s/s

Thanks for posting this..
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing the 1918-D no initials in the Cherry pickers guide. I will look to see it it is part of the variety set- if not, it really should be.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    How the heck do you tell the inverted 44-S? I have stared and stared at the pic but it looks the same to me top and bottom...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>How the heck do you tell the inverted 44-S? I have stared and stared at the pic but it looks the same to me top and bottom... >>

I think the key is to only look at it for an instant, instead of studying it too closely. I have one of the inverted-S 1909 Barber halves, so I'm used to seeing what an inverted S looks like. When I was checking my Walkers it instantly jumped out at me.

Looking closer and over-analyzing things, it appears to me that in the inverted position (as pictured) the bottom loop of the S is a fraction less wide from side-to-side than the top loop is, and the gap/opening in the bottom loop is skinnier than in the top loop.

There are a few dates in the Walker series with no designer's initials; I also have a 1929-S. I very much agree that they should ALL be recognized by somebody!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Dennis..you are the man !!

Are you coming to Ontario ??
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Not having the no initials 1918-D is one major oversight- that really needs to be in the set. I am really shocked that it is not there

• Options
    gcoingcoin Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Besides the coins. I am interested in your photo setup there. Can you tell me what your using and setup in details?
  • Options

<< <i>Besides the coins. I am interested in your photo setup there. Can you tell me what your using and setup in details? >>

Nikon D200 DSLR set at ISO 800
    Nikon 105mm macro lens set at f5.6 (manual focus, manual aperture setting)
    two Nikon PK-15 extension tubes
    copy stand that's not really sturdy enough for that much attached mass but it's all I have
    two compact fluorescent bulbs (daylight rated)
    remote cable shutter release
    mirror lockup setting on camera
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    You are right about the 1929-s Dennis- That needs to be included as well

• Options
    Attribution results update 12/28/09:

The 1939-D is the first and only one PCGS has attributed; pop 1/0. image
    The 1941-S is the third example they have attributed; pop 1/2.
    The 1944-S inverted mintmarks are the second and third examples they have attributed; the AU55 is pop 1/2 and the MS65 is pop 1/0. image
    The 1945-P and the '44-S/S are still being graded.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. You sure get a good feeling when your grades come in with these when so few are graded, and I know how good that is.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I'd like to see a better pic of the 41 S/S if you have one.. I have one but am not sure it's the correct one for PCGS attribution. There are a couple 41 S/S's out there. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. I'd like to see a better pic of the 41 S/S if you have one.. I have one but am not sure it's the correct one for PCGS attribution. There are a couple 41 S/S's out there. Thanks! >>

I'll try when I get the coins back, but the one posted above was actually the best of several shots taken from different angles; for some reason it's a tough one to capture.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Here are some pixs of a raw and probably cleaned or dipped or washed VF25 1941-S/S (FS-501) that I'd forgotten I have. All four pictures are of the same coin, but I turned it 90 degrees after each shot. It's amazing with simply moving the coin does to the lighting.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    The CPG calls that 41-S an S/S NW. Is that an error in the CPG? Is it not actually an S/S SW?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>The CPG calls that 41-S an S/S NW. Is that an error in the CPG? Is it not actually an S/S SW? >>

I've never been clear on whether all authors use the terms "primary" and "secondary" the same way, and I think this may be an example. The first MM punched in the '41-S FS-501 pictured in the CPG is clearly S.W. of the second and bolder, complete MM. Does that make the first punch the "primary" one because it went first? I would think the second and bolder, complete MM would be called "primary" because it is fully formed and doing the job of a MM. Personally, I think the CPG description is a proofreading error and you caught them. Good job!
    When in doubt, don't.