Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

help on Tetradrachm pricing please

Hi guys, what would be a fair price for an athenian, 450 BC Tetradrahm, AR owl coin that is fully struck, nicely centered and in XF condition. I have been looking at them and pricing is all over the map. Any help is apreciated.
PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    without alotta experience Id recommend buying slabbed to be safe about authenticity... depending on the attractiveness of the coin... 700-800 for a nice one? that's totally ballpark for someone who's been casually looking at examples.

I defer to the experts
  • Options
    Oops. Here's what I meant to say:

Your best bet is simply to comparison shop. There are just too many variables in what you're asking for. One dealer's XF is another's gVF. Well-centered with Owls can mean with the full crest of Athena's helmet on the flan or not. And as you point out different dealers can price the exact same coin very differently, depending on the type of dealer and what his cost was.

With ancient coins it's generally not a good idea to buy them in slabs. You'll generally pay more and without any added safety, provided you buy from an established dealer with a good reputation. But ancients in slabs is a to each his own kind of thing. Most collectors specializing in ancients hate them, while some collectors of U.S. coins who just want one or two ancients may prefer them.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    How can you tell you are not getting a fake or if it is actually a ancient fourree. Most of the dealers I am finding are in the Middle East, Israel or Turkey. I have not seen many slabs offered. Can you recommend anyone you have dealt with in the past. I am not a primary Ancient collector, but several of the agenian, Lydia and athenian coins really catch my eye and have a great history. Any help is appreciated.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    The sort of coin you seem to be talking about is a $1000+ coin (if you're looking for true EF). There are lots of reliable dealers in the US and Europe that have such coins on offer. Check out vcoins.com!

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    that place ALWAYS comes up during research... nice to know they get the thumbs up...

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    thanks all

Fred, Las Vegas, NV