Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Wondercoin moves up to #4 in Washington quarters set.

Just noticed this recently. Congrats to him!

Edit once more after butchering his name slightly. #4 ATF, #3 Current finest in the Basic Set, Circulation Strikes, 32-64.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey "Stupid!" Who's "WONERCOIN??!" image

edited to add that the OP edited

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what you are talking about?image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, but, I had been #2 or #3 for years in that series, but simply had an insert drop off a couple years ago and never added it back (I just ran across the coin at the bank and grabbed the serial number). I believe I have not added a new purchase to the regular series coins in maybe 4 or 5 years now and have no immediate plans to do so (but things can always change). I have been picking up some minor varieties (and an error or two) lately though to go along with the major varieties I have always had. I'll post a neat coin I recently picked up in the next day or two as I am expecting to get the truview pics. from PCGS.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,

Congrats, - now don't tease us - show us the money image

Ken
  • Options
    Ken. OK... here's one...

Amazing that the coin is so struck up when you consider it was struck on a 1954-S nickel planchet... for those of you not familar with 1954 dated nickels, strong strikes are certainly not the norm.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool Coin.

<<Amazing that the coin is so struck up when you consider it was struck on a 1954-S nickel planchet... for those of you not familar with 1954 dated nickels, strong strikes are certainly not the norm. >>

Wouldn't the press pressure be different for quarter than nickels??
    Though the planchet was a nickel the press pressure would be for quarters, right?
  • Options
    Mitch,

There we go, that a beauty. I had to go look at TT and see their pic and even the color of the coin has that nickel planchet color. I had a thought - this coin sure would look neat in PCGS' new incert/holder that shows the rim of the coin, like NGC.

Ken
  • Options
    Ajia - That makes sense. It is confuing why some Jeff nickel dates are struck horribly (like 54-P,D S,) and other not so bad to super nice (like 58-D)? Weren't 54-D nickels struck with the same pressure as 58-D nickels?

Ken - That is a very good idea. Thanks.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I would venture a guess that someone at the mint was having fun and tossed in a blank planchet during a run and let it go- as seen here.

what an awesome error to have.

you da man Mitch..

• Options
    Congrats to Wondercoins. He has now moved up to number one but for some reason doesn't want to show his coins!!!
  • Options
    Thunderpumper97 - Thank you for noticing. I still need coins - so it is probably best to keep things "closed" for a while longer. I am not alone in that overall "thinking". Some of the greatest sets in the registry for that matter are closed sets right now.

I do want to comment though on variety coins in general ....

Collectors need to be very careful these days to not too heavily rely on "pop" information in making purchasing decisions. It is simply too easy for a dealer or collector to submit the varieties under non-variety submissions, then get grades and slowly feed the coins into the variety designation system creating temporary "false" low pops for collectors to chase (to later feed in the additional non-designated coins to raise pops after the prior coins sell).

Recently, on a very scarce silver quarter variety. I chased a pop 1/0 coin at a major auction, but luckily only paid about 50% of my max bid (it could have been very ugly for me). The coin had remained pop 1/0 for a many years. Less than 30 days after the auction, the coin magically became pop 2/0 - this on a coin the CPG had listed as a top, top rarity. Coincedence? Maybe. But, I have heard too many stories now of the "strategy" of slowly feeding the coins through the services to grade them after each coin sells. FELLOW COLLECTORS - BE CAREFUL ON THIS. Anyone else experience this in their variety series?

Wondercoin

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    nice set

why is it advantageous to not post what is in your set?

is it so you can get upgrades for less?
  • Options
    I agree with Master Collector. I really don't understand why it is so important to keep your coins "under wraps". Your collection is 100% complete. I would really enjoy seeing your collection. I thought that is what the registry set is all about, sharing your collection
  • Options
    Give me call any time and we can discuss the issue in great detail. It is certainly a fair question for the thousands of collectors with closed sets.

Wondercoin

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats WonderCoin. (a little belatedly)
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I too would like to see all the coins in all set, but at the same time I do understand the mechanics of the Registry. It boils down to common sense and has nothing to do with any type of strategy. A collector may have a complete set, but there are most likely always upgrades [to a certain point] that the collector has his/her eye on [based on available pop info which could/is being manipulated as Mitch pointed out above]. In essence what happens is with a top set open to viewers the person selling a coin that is needed by collector #1 would try to contact the member and [I really don't like the word, but for a lack of any better at this point] the member would be exploited to buy this low or single pop coin(s) at over market value - while maybe not conveying it out loud but having the understanding that if you don't buy it at my price the collector in the #2 spot probably would. Of course collector #1 thinking to himself do I pay the high price or pass on the upgrade. This takes away from the collector making the decision on his own when said coin(s) come up for auction - to make a decision now to either buy it now or you may not get it later.

This is not Wondercoins first rodeo and he is being PC here image
  • Options
    Thanks CK.

And, I agree with you Ken.

Look, some of the greatest collectors in all of the registry have 100% complete, but, closed sets - Thomas Irwin's Lincoln cent varieties, Stewart's 09-58 Lincoln cent collection, etc., etc., etc. I am by no means comparing my quarter set to those great cent collections, other than to point out it is a very common practice to keep a 100% completed set closed. In the case of my silver quarters, my work is far from complete. There are 25-50 silver Washington quarters currently on my radar screen if the price is right.

But, again, this new member asks a fair question. And, as mentioned, call me anytime to talk silver quarters.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Wondercoin
    You sets are incredible! You certainly are a major yardstick for others to compare their sets to and wonder how on earth did you achieve your average grades.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Thanks LOG.

One day at a time. I buy a coin or two from you this week (thanks for the deal by the way), a coin or two from another great collector next week and so on. Start back in the 1980's, tack on twenty or thirty years and there you have it. You are doing the very same thing yourself with your state quarter collection. Don't think your recent purchase of that amazing pop 1/0 MS68 business strike quarter from 2009 went without notice image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    wondercoin
    I can't ever sneak something by you. I think you know my sets better than I do. I wonder if you can predict what my next purchase will be?
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Can I predict the next one? image

Congrats to both of you for putting together some great collections image

• Options
    Tazmic
    You would have been wrong as I just made a purchase today.
    Not a coin but a vechicle. Buick Enclave CLX-2

Thanks for the congrats