Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Are there any new sets worth grading?

Are there any modern sets that are worth grading and collecting on the Set Registry or is the future simply going to be player sets for the future? This seems to be more related to coin collecting, where a complete set is actually made up of the years that the coin was produced. I looked at the baseball Set Registry and found the following "Newer" sets that seem to have a following

2007 UD Masterpieces; 4 registered sets, 2 of which are complete or near complete.
2006 Topps Mantle Collection; 5 sets, 4 are complete or near complete. (only 10 cards in the set though)
2005 Topps; 9 registered sets, but none are over 10% complete
2004 Cracker Jack Secret Suprise Signatures; 5 sets and 4 are over 90% complete (11 card set)
2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks; 6 of 8 sets over 30% of a 175 card set
2001 Topps Archives Autographs; 4 of 6 are ovaer 49% of a 159 card set

I could keep going, but as you can see there isn't much momentum to build a set.

The 1993 Finest Refractor Set is really an amazing insert set. 37 folks have begun or completed this set. Refractors had a 250 card print run. According to the pop report there are 231 Frank Thomas graded cards! 13 cards have over 150 grades.

What can card companies do to create that kind of enthusiasm?

Comments

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    There are two sets that come to mind, 1) 1990 Donruss Learning Series (which I am working on) and 2) the 1987 Donruss Opening Day set (one I am considering). The Learning Series is a set that was sent out to schools and is only 55 cards, but loaded with HOFers. The Opening Day set was produced only in set form and is 272 cards. Just my thoughts.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I keep thinking that something like 2001 Heritage will take off (a basic set), or maybe 2003 Exquisite BKB, but so far nothing.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    2001 Ultimate Collection
    Small set, limited prod, great RCs, tough in top grade, inaugural set
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that modern collections are going to be player centric, or team based. There are a few nice products like Allen and Ginter and Heritage that are always big, but I see those getting composed mostly just as raw sets.
  • StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Dialj - you mentioned the 1990 Donruss Learning set - any idea of how many of each card exist? I used to think it was a small amount (small as opposed to regular 1990 Donruss, that is) - but it seems like there are a ton more out in circulation these days, with sets selling for $5-10.

However, I still think PSA 10s from this set sell well because of player collectors. I have a couple sets and may have to take a second look at them for grading purposes.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty happy with this modern graded set

Statman, I have been following this set for a long time due to several of my friends being teachers. Though there are usually some cards out there for sale, I don't think there are an excessive number os sets out there. Of course, I doubt if Donruss would release the numbers. I do agree that since most of the players are or will be HOFers, the odds of PSA 10s selling well in the future are good. I have several raw sets myself and am putting the set together in PSA 10.

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I've never been compelled to do a sport company set, and I focused on the Griffey Master set for a while. The set is now over 4,000 cards I believe, and I'm at 40%....it's too much for me to continue. I've switched my focus to team sets for my hometown team for every single year- Topps, of course. I've also been working on a new player set, and I'm around #100 in line....just wanted to chime in.
    Statman, let me know if you decide to start this set. I might be able to help out.