Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Here's the reason I don't collect LeBron James cards

I am a guy who likes to collect things that I have some hope of completing before I die. Lebron has, what, 200 or more cards from his rookie year alone? I was just inspecting the list of 2003-04 Lebron cards on his PSA Master Set. Upper Deck specifically should be ashamed of themselves for the mass quantities of cards that they made with his face on it. I'm only 33 but I guess you should call me an old timer. I miss the days when guys had 1 or 2 rookie cards. I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree with me but in my opinion it's ABSURD!

Bernie Kosar collector

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with ya buddy!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Capitalism...
  • Options
    Capitalism is correct, if you buy 5 Panini packs and don't get a single LaBron, then you buy 5 packs of UD and get 2 or three, which brand are you more likely to buy the next time? You have to put yourself in the shoes of a 8-15 year old.

Nothing wrong with your reasoning though. That's why I don't collect modern players either. Instead I collect Top 250 Sports Cards, T206, 1956 Topps Baseball, and occassionally a modern set. (i.e. 2001 Topps Archives Auto set 144/158 autos, 2002 Diamond Cuts Auto and Memorabilia set, 2009 T206 Mini Auto Set)
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overkill for sure
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    this applies to almost any of the superstars that started recently....can't off the head think of any whose rc's are really rare, unless you want to talk about autographed one's ... didn't Albert Pujols have one from his rookie year that is worth some cash?
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons why Im a "Vintage" only guy.

• Options
    I'm a Laker fan so out of the current superstars, Kobe is my guy. I love Kobe Bryant. I could never collect all of his cards so what I'm doing with him is starting a rookie set. He has a lot of cards too but it's a fraction of the amount of "rookie cards" that Lebron has. I don't understand how these modern cards are going to have any long term value. They are far from rare. Even the PSA 10's are plentiful.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I don't understand how these modern cards are going to have any long term value. They are far from rare. Even the PSA 10's are plentiful. >>

See, I love sports today as much as I did when I was younger. I would be just as excited about pulling a Kevin Youkilis card today as I was when I got a Dwight Evans card in 1984. But in 1984 I could pull a Dwight Evans card and have his only 1984 card and that was that. Success! Today, I could pull that Kevin Youkilis card and not only is that card not the only Kevin Youkilis card in the set, it's not even the only version of the very card I pulled. I'd still have to buy more packs just so I could get a blue, orange, silver, gold, and platinum version of the same card. No thanks.

When I get an itch for opening new packs I will occassionally scratch it. Instead of feeling pleasure and relief when I'm done I just hate myself for scratching the itch because all it did was bleed my wallet.